• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Moderators and Moderation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, my hope is, dtm42, that you voluntarily stick to what is deemed acceptable here and get taken off moderation and then continue to stay within bounds. If it is any consolation, I struggle daily to stay within bounds, myself. It's not easy because I have a hair-trigger, foul cyber-temper and I'm pretty immature for a, uh, "gentleman" of my advanced age. But, in the end, I like having a civilized place to talk about anime and it would be hypocritical of me in the extreme to pay lip service to the concept and not try foster it, as well.
Olliff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:05 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Dtm42, a Biography, written and edited by Olliff. Now available on Kindle and in good book stores everywhere in time for Christmas.

But seriously, while I appreciate some of the sentiments you expressed, I am puzzled as to why you would actually write all that, and two weeks after the fact as well.

Well, hook, line, and sinker; I knew a response was only a matter of time, not that is a bad thing. Why the delay? Take a look at my posting history, and you may find a few clues. Why would I post all of that about you? Well to be honest, you were the first person who came to mind when I thought about ANN moderators, and moderation. Also, the ANN moderation issue has always interested me, since they are one of the more heavily moderated forums that I know that still has a lot of patience for repeat offenders. You are also the perfect example of someone who produces quality posts, but at the same time attracts the negative attention of the mods with posts that practically beg for it. GATSU is the other obvious choice, but I have interacted with you, and seen your interaction with the mods far more than I have with him. Why write so much? Take a look at my posting history, and you will discover that I have a trouble with a thing called brevity.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:18 am Reply with quote
computerized sounding voice
Olliff, the long winded pokemon. Known for its lengthy posts on anime forums, the Olliff enjoys playing fair and reading interesting, witty posts by dtm42. At level 25, Olliff evolves into dtm fanboy.

J/K of course. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:27 am Reply with quote
I, at least, have not had to reject any of dtm42's posts since he went under moderation. (Well, except for that one where he went off on the diatribe about not liking broccoli. Damn, that was a long, boring read. . .)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Laughing @ Key. We, the innocent denizens of ANN, appreciate you keeping us safe from dtm42's virulent anti-broccoli propaganda. I despise broccoli as well, but brussel sprouts are even more putrid. That is a produce so vile, it must be grown in Satan's private garden.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Are we referring to broccoli the veggie or broccoli the former distributor????

Oh. Wait. I get it now... I think...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:50 am Reply with quote
Reviewing this thread, I am reminded of a certain incident that I was unfortunately involved with a number of years ago.

I am the primary moderator/administrator of an official listserve of a political party.* Because it's the official listserve, some care must be taken to (among other things) ensure civility; so the listserve has some rules that are more or less followed.

But that wasn't always the case.

Because it's an inherently political listserve, my philosophy has always been to moderate with as light a hand as possible (and let me tell you, adjusting from that ethos to the ethos here at A.N.N. and then back again is truly a whiplash-inducing experience!), but my hand was forced when a prominent member of the party was attacked on the listserve and she -- call her "X" -- emailed me, basically asking if there was a place for her in the party. My response was to simultaneously melt down and blow my top.

The result was not pretty.

I issued an expletive-laced tirade in which I -- among other things -- both decisively and unambiguously shut down the offending discussion. I shocked a number of people; but, as one party official noted, the discussion on the listserve immediately toned down. That -- and the gratitude of "X" -- made the outcome a mostly desirable one (or at least, it did in MY book anyway).

I relate the above because I want people to know that I absolutely KNOW where the moderators and administrators here are coming from when it comes to debating the merits of moderating or banning someone. It's a decision fraught with implications and consequences -- and nothing IS EVER cut-and-dried; there are invariably complicating factors and implications that one must BE COGNIZANT OF.

So when the moderators and administrators here say that moderating the forums in a manner that is both effective and fair is a task that calls for the wisdom of Solomon, then you'd better believe it!

*Don't be impressed; traffic isn't terribly high on it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:00 am Reply with quote
I would make a terrible moderator/admin. I know I wouldn't be able to resist banning posters who irritated me. If I was ever given banning powers here, within a week there'd only be me and about a dozen people I like left. Laughing
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I would make a terrible moderator/admin.

You don't exactly make a stellar user, either. Your one saving grace is that you occasionally inject a new and surprisingly intelligent slant on matters into otherwise-moribund conversations. But, in general, your posts stink of troll. Take that as an honest assessment, with as little ill will as possible.

Blood- wrote:
I know I wouldn't be able to resist banning posters who irritated me. If I was ever given banning powers here, within a week there'd only be me and about a dozen people I like left. Laughing

We're not entirely on the same page here, but walking down similar roads. However, I am less extreme -- rather than leaving a handful of users, I'd leave all the users, except for a select handful. However, "irritating me" would not form the basis of selection. There are plenty of users who qualify for that, without being banworthy.

"Being obnoxious pond scum" would be my main criterion. And yes, I can think of several of those.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Blood- wrote:

You don't exactly make a stellar user, either. Your one saving grace is that you occasionally inject a new and surprisingly intelligent slant on matters into otherwise-moribund conversations. But, in general, your posts stink of troll. Take that as an honest assessment, with as little ill will as possible.

Oh, but of course! Laughing Actually, my biggest failing as a poster is not having the maturity to ignore idiots. My second biggest failing as a poster is not having the maturity/patience to keep a moderate tone when responding to idiots. But other than that, I am a paragon of posting virtue.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
abunai wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Oh, but of course! Laughing Actually, my biggest failing as a poster is not having the maturity to ignore idiots. My second biggest failing as a poster is not having the maturity/patience to keep a moderate tone when responding to idiots. But other than that, I am a paragon of posting virtue.

Heh. Yes, having to endure idiocy can be a chore -- and a sometimes impossible task. That is a large part of why I am currently not particularly active, as moderator or as poster: I reached my limit of how much I was willing to tolerate (combined with a personal loss in the soi-disant "real" world, which sapped me of emotional stamina).

Which, of course, is intimately related to the concept of wanting to see a short list of particular users removed from the forum, permanently. See my remark about "pond scum", above.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:29 am Reply with quote
I hope you do decide to become more active again, abunai, particularly as a poster. I've enjoyed your insights in the past and your knowledge of Japanese makes you an especially welcome resource. I think the start of the next season of Kimi ni Todoke in January would be a great re-launch pad for you.
Que_Tal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

Ouch!!!

Scrorched!
That is a SUPER burn bro!

Blood- got a roasting like a crooner on the old Dean Martin specials.

Put a fork in him.

He's done.

on another note....

could you Abunai and Blood-
not use these really obscure words to mean what you say?

words like:

"moribund"

"paragon"

and

"soi-disant"

please.
please, not everyone here is a college graduate.

not everyone is a Mensa member.

please tone down on the sophisticated FRASIER-like grammar.

keep your choice of words simple for the slow kids, like me.

when you guys wrote the word:
moribund.
i was like,
"huh?"
Question

when one of you wrote the word:
paragon.
i was like,
"wha?"
Confused

when you wrote:
soi-disant.
i was like,
"WTF?"
Shocked

Now look at what you two have done.
You've made me reach for my Webster's dictionary and everything:/
i couldn't find my Thesaurus.

Edit:
my point is, if we can't understand some of the things that you're both saying, and we have to constantly stop reading the thread just to look words up,...it does the thread a disservice to the majority of its readers.
Thats all.

Thanks in advance.

Edit #2:
ugh.
i completely forgot to even mention that the mods here are cool.
i think they're pretty liberal.
i've seen some questionable things by posters, but, i've never seen any "too quick on the draw" or "itchy trigger finger" or "bring the hammer down" type of action by the mods ever taking place.
ever.
i'm surprised that there's even a thread of this type...on these forums.

Edit#3:
i just looked back at this page...and found that Key wrote the word:
"diatribe."
See what i mean?
*reaching again for Webster's*

Last edited by Que_Tal on Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
DragonFire212

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
Reading this thread has been a very interesting look into the "behind the scenes" operations for a newcomer. In particular I think this "on moderation" system is very interesting, and I've never been aware of such a system on any other site before. I think it's a nice, albeit labor-intensive, middle ground between a complete ban & retroactive moderation.

As for the moderation style on this site, no person / system is perfect, and I'm sure there have been cases where a mod was more conservative than absolutely necessary. However, everything I've seen so far has been reasonable and unobtrusive. They seem to do a pretty good job of encouraging productive discussion, which is one of the reasons I joined this site.

Also, it seems the community on here knows each other somewhat well, which is pretty cool, especially since some people's accounts go back 2/4/6 years. None of dtm42's posts I've seen since I've been here seemed that bad , but as he said himself, he's been on moderation. Although that broccoli post does sound pretty bad.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:33 am Reply with quote
Que_Tal wrote:
could you Abunai and Blood-
not use these really obscure words to mean what you say?

words like:

"paragon"

please.
please, not everyone here is a college graduate.

not everyone is a Mensa member.

please tone down on the sophisticated FRASIER-like grammar.

keep your choice of words simple for the slow kids, like me.

Dude, what are you talking about? Paragon isn't an obscure word. I've known it for years, ever since I made my first paragon D&D character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6