• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, December 17-23

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:09 am Reply with quote
As expected, the massive shortages hurt GuP... It was sold out of major areas like Akiba the day it released and they weren't able to restock it yet, and anyone ordering on Amazon after Dec 13 won't even receive their copies until Mid January... so with these issue, it wasn't able to do massive first week numbers. Wouldn't surprise me if it does another 5k next week and more later on when the Amazon shipments are in.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quote
And so ends the misinformed idea that only westerners liked Cowboy Bebop. It was always decently popular in Japan.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:49 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
And so ends the misinformed idea that only westerners liked Cowboy Bebop. It was always decently popular in Japan.

Judging by these first week sales, even "decently popular" might be an understatement. It outsold the last Gundam Seed BD box by almost 4,000 copies, and that show was huge.
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:34 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Judging by these first week sales, even "decently popular" might be an understatement. It outsold the last Gundam Seed BD box by almost 4,000 copies, and that show was huge.

Maybe Gundam SEED was more expensive than Cowboy Bebop?I dont really know,I am just asking.I am also very happy to hear the news that the video quality of release is good,some day somewhere I will buy it!
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Maybe Gundam SEED was more expensive than Cowboy Bebop?I don't really know,I am just asking.I am also very happy to hear the news that the video quality of release is good,some day somewhere I will buy it!

The Cowboy Bebop limited edition set is actually about 75% more expensive than the last Gundam Seed LE set, which is understandable since it includes over twice as many episodes, plus a gajillion extras.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:13 am Reply with quote
come on Season 3 of Horizon
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Maybe Gundam SEED was more expensive than Cowboy Bebop?I don't really know,I am just asking.I am also very happy to hear the news that the video quality of release is good,some day somewhere I will buy it!

Some UK company got the license to the Cowboy Bebop DVDs and BDs, but that means either Region B or expensive.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
I just noticed there's 3 anime across 3 different decades by Sunrise that sold over a 10,000 volumes this week and there could have very easily been 4 overall. That's just.....endurance I guess.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I think people meant Cowboy Bebop is more popular in West than Japan. Atleast that's why heard from ANN podcast.
lol. it's 10k. This will sell way more in US.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:40 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

>_> It's a box, though. I'd like to see it sell that much in singles. A one time investment is an entirely different thing than singles.

It sold decently in Japan, but its not the GODS GIFT TO ANIMATION like Americans who saw it when they were 12 on Adult Swim make it out to be. Japan would laugh if you told them that. lol

Last edited by Crispy45 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

>_> It's a box, though. I'd like to see it sell that much in singles. A one time investment is an entirely different thing than singles.

Its a box that still sold for 350 bucks. Its not like the non otaku would have been able to afford it or anything.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Kuroko continues to sell well in BD!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
That's not surprising at all. Ever since Tiger & Bunny only put specific extra features on the BD release it seems that a lot of fujoshi have made the switch to BD.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
That's not surprising at all. Ever since Tiger & Bunny only put specific extra features on the BD release it seems that a lot of fujoshi have made the switch to BD.

Except it is selling just as well in the DVD as well. I'm not convinced it is just fujoshi buying it.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Who else would? That would be like me saying that I'm not convinced that it's just otaku buying Saki or Girls und Panzer. If you would prefer the term 'female otaku' over fujoshi then fine, but it's 95% females who are buying Kuroko.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1