• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Well I guess here is my go. I am only going to list the titles that I have seen subbed(it does not mean I haven't seen them dubbed). But it does mean I have also read what I believe is an accurate translation. So here it goes.

1.Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars
I am so happy the very first post lists this as number one. I am hesitant to list it as 1 but skimming this sticky I see it is left out way too much, it is better than that. It is a powerful story, which makes you like characters you thought you wouldn't, and dislike the ones you thought you would. The setting is of course scifi(which I am a fan), but that is really all it is, the setting. The story is what takes this title up a notch. Bamm! laugh/cry/excited It is the essence of a good anime.
2.Cowboy Bebop
Very different than number one, but just as good, equals really. This series swoons in style and the story forces you to want to watch the next episode. It is popular, so I think I can leave it at that. i.e. Most won't need more reason.
3.Whisper of the Heart
This movie touched me. I am a person who enjoys more than one type of anime, maybe that is why I like it so much(because there are many different types). Miyazaki's films are all great, but this one(with combined efforts of Yoshifumi Kondô) is something of a gem I think. You care about the charactors, and you hear the sweet little nothings spoken in your heart.
4.Noir
Whats going on! Who the hell are these people! You will be asking yourself these questions a lot in the begining of this one. And once you find the answers, you are going to get you some. Also the ending is a tearjerker in my opinion, especially if you watch it back to back. It is also hardcore. No matter what bad things you have done in your life, or how much you have repented and become a good person helping people, these Gals will kill you if it is there chosen job. That is just a small aspect of what this title has on the table.
5.Spirited Away
Many may disagree, but this movie has inpact. The determination of Chihiro is key. The animation is of course great. The world of the spirts you will be immersed in.
6.Gungrave
Surprisinly good, considering it is based on a game(usually those suck Ex:Tekken). You grow up with the characters, times change and so do they, as they become old and grey. This is an extremely sad story. Forget about the game, this is a strong stand alone anime, which makes you ask a question. What is the value of lolality?
7.Rozen Maiden
One word, beautiful. This is a great anime that will make you go ga-ga over cute little dolls that order you around. It is a short story so I won't say much. Lets just say, the dolls are playing a game, and one of them is EVIL.
8.Outlaw Star
This is the title that brought my attention to anime. (really Robotech was the first one I enjoyed, but I was too young to know what anime meant(yes, I watched DB and DBZ before this, but these did not bring me into the term anime and want me to learn more about it.)). You can probably guess I like space drama/action by now. Great action, great story, with the exception of the Outlaw Star itself, great art. Many may disagree, but I think you can understand why I hold this one in high regard.
9.Trigun
You start off on a joyride of action/comedy, little do you realize it is a dark journey to the end. It is a deep story, what is it to be alive, what right is it to end anothers?
10.Golden Boy
This is a great comedy, I highly suggest it. And the dub is quite good as well. It is short, but it is laugh out loud good. Let just say Kintarou finds himself in some awkward situations.
10b.Perfect Blue
I know I am only supposed to have ten, so, this is short. Beautiful. Haven't see another like this.

Notables: all Miyazaki films(I like them all, but I didn't want to make a list of just his style), Elfen Lied(strange, touching), Cowboy Bebop movie, Lupin III(classic, a birthplace for many), Neon Genesis Evangelion(a staple in anime world), RahXephon(the new standard),Samurai Champloo(who says you can't mix old with new), Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex(ultimate future).

NOTE:Fullmetal Alchemist is a great anime, I have not seen it subbed, therefore if you read the first paragraph, I will not put it in here. Rest assured I love it though.

If you want to discuss this you can PM me, just be rationale. And congratulations to making it to page 33 or 34 or whatever. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Toucanbird

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Toucanbird's Top 10 Anime

1. Ghost in the Shell (SAC)
Great action, great music, great voiceovers, I really like this anime in English dubbing.

2. Bleach
Again, it has great action and a great amount of comedy as well. I laugh pretty hard at this anime while enjoying its great action scenes.

3. Fullmetal Alchemist
I love the story to this anime. I'm just a little upset that the series ended poorly. Still, I would consider this to be my #3 anime.

4. Gundam Seed
This seems to be a like it or hate it series, but I really liked it. It had a great story and some great mecha fight scenes.

5. Rorouni Kenshin
There are many great things I can say about Rorouni Kenshin. He is what I would consider one of if not the greatest anime character ever.

6. Samurai Champloo
Great fight scenes and I think a good job with English dubbing. Story was fair but it seemed to go off-track a lot with the story. Music was also interesting.

7. Cowboy Bebop
Much like Samurai Champloo, great action scenes but lacked a deep story. Some very memorable characters from this anime, like Spike and Faye.

8. Eureka Seven
This anime kind of caught me by surprise. I thought it would be another stupid mecha anime but I really like it for many reasons. I think Renton and Eureka have a very cute relationship.

9. Gundam Seed Destiny
If it weren't for some great action scenes, this anime probably doesn't make my top 10. The story could have been much better and Shinn was a little aggrevating. But, it did provide enough to its story and action to keep me interested.

10. Tsubasa Chronicle
I think this is a really cool anime. I've recently started watching it. There are many great qualities about it and much like Eureka Seven, a very cute relationship between Syoran and Sakura. Some pretty decent action and a great story. The more I watch it, the more it will probably climb my list.

Toucanbird's bottom 5

5. Beyblade
...Yeah, what a cool anime. Whose brainbusting idea was it to have a TOPS face off type anime. Stupidness can only begin to describe this anime.

4. Yu-Gi-Oh!GX
Are you kidding me? The first one was bad enough. It started out okay but got much worse. Please stop with these stupid card dueling animes. They are horrible!

3. Zatch Bell
Why do people like this? Sure, the story is a little interesting but man alive. They screwed this one up big time. Characters are annoying and the animation is just subpar and not creative.

2. Bo-bo-bo-bo-bobo (spelling)
Uh, much like Zatch Bell only weirder. Its bad enough that the animation is bad and characters are annoying but with the weird stuff in it, why is this popular? I just don't get this anime.

1. Super Milk Chan
No way is this not the worst anime ever made. It's supposed to be funny right? I'm not laughing. Animation bad. Voiceovers bad. Story bad. Action? What action? Comedy? Who finds it funny? This is the worst anime ever made because it doesn't entertain at all in any way!
sora_hua

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:05 am Reply with quote
Your opinon2 make me excited to post mine too..here they are :

Best Anime :

1. Ranma 1/2
This is the 1st anime I watched when I was 10 years old. People said the first is better than the best, and this is my first favourite one, althugh if I watch it now, it will be many awful thing inside it. But I really like the characters, all of them. They are different one another and make me interested and excited everytime I watched it. I even cried when my Pop didn't allow me to watch it.

2. Rurouni Kenshin
This is the most influenced anime for me. I once had vacum from 'anime world for along time', but when I watched RK, it rised my spirit and until now I keep on my hobby and improve my skill in drawing manga.
I like Kenshin's Character so much, he really made me fall in love with him hahahaha

3. Full Metal Panic
This one is also have influence for me..I like all the character, like sagara (he is so 'flat' but he has a gorgous heart inside, even though he doesn't understand what it is...what a man??!! ><). Also Chidori...I like her so much, she is just so violent !!!hahaha

4. Saiyuki
Whether Gensoumaden or Reload, I love all of them. The story is just so interesting. Usually I watched 'Going to West' film series(HongKong version), but when I saw Saiyuki, it just too different, even they were similar in theme hehe, but the character are all different. Violent Sanzo (imaging the holy Sanzo) etc

5. Full Metal Alchemist
This is an awsome one. The story is not just heavy but also meaningful. You can learn to love ur brother more and live is not as simple as it though. When you see the kids who tried hard to reach their destination, their tears, hurt and feeling, it just so hard when you imagine you're at that situation at their age.

Worst:
1. Ultramaniac
It is so girly and unrealistic.

2. Cardcaptor Sakura
sorry for the fans. I don't really like sakura's character

That's all. More I like than dislike..hehe..
Matta ne....
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Updated in 2010
Link to new list

Top Ten

1. Spirited Away (and Miyazaki in general)
Never fails to cheer me up, just such a wonderful story... The other Miyazaki films rate high with me as well but I'll limit it to the one, other wise half the list would be his stuff. big honors also go to Totoro, Mononoke, Laputa and Kiki's.
2. Mellenium Actress (and Satoshi Kon in general)
I love multi-layered stories within stories and this may be the best example of such a story. The only other real contender is Neil Gaiman's "World's End" section of Sandman...which is in itself is just a part of a bigger story. honorable mention to Kon's Tokyo Godfathers as well.
3. Tenchi Muyo (OVA and Universe)What can I say, I like the harem-type animes and this is my template for them. Funny, romantic with decent intrigue.It was also my real gateway anime, previously I had watched the occasional anime as a occasional diversion, Tenchi was what got me to actively search more out.
4. Excel Saga
Crazy hilarious fun. More laughs per minute than anything else I've seen.
5. Akira
Probably the first anime I saw. Do I really need to go into why I like it?[edit] after reading more of the previous pages... maybe you do. It is an amazing action adventure, tragic and crazy. So many after have tried to make stuff on this template and failed... plus giant teddy bears oozing milk.
6. Tamala 2010: A Punk Cat in Space (Still unlicensed!)
Okay, it's slow, especially in that part where the zombie dog is languidly explaining the history of Catty Co. but the tremendous arty wierdness so makes up for it. And if you can make it through the explanation it's a very interesting concept. Plus the music is fantastic ambient trip-hop.
7. FLCL
It works on a number of levels. It's just wild and those that just like wacky can appreciate it for that. It has an intriguing plot, true it may take more viewing to understand but unlike other shows you can say that about (Lain, Boogiepop) you can stand rewatching it because of the other pluses. The relationships seem a bit supercial at times but they really are complex. Great music.
8. Cowboy Bebop
I've yet to see another series that so effortlessly blends action, humor, drama and cohesive plot.
9. Azumanga Daioh
brilliantly executed. you never want it to end. just imagining that scene with Osaka feeding Chiyo in the penguin outfit makes me happy.
10. Haibane Renmei
Usually I get really annoyed with animes that don't explain their world to such an extent but it works here very well. It tells a personal but universal story (well... maybe two or three) about human experience. Knowing the reasons and history behind everything really would detract from it.

Could have been in the top ten, it's such a wonderful romantic comedy. I adore the characters, so likable, so sweet. The high-schooler journal narration was cheesy but forgivable because it was heartfelt
-But-
It also comes very close to bottom five consideration for having the most frustratingly horrid final third I've ever seen. Constant recaps, infuriating and frequent animation shortcuts and finally leaving the series in the middle of not less than 5 major storylines. It made me livid. I know there were problems with the manga-ka, but still- bad, bad, bad.

5 "worst"
are they really horrible? Not really but I like to pick on them more than others. If something strikes me as bad initially I don't bother watching it. Except for #5 these are shows I've watched all or most of and feel especially cheated

1. Noir How did Mirreile stay alive up to this point? Why should we care? Lordy this is slow. How many times you gonna play that stupid pocket watch music? Did someone say this was the best soundtrack they ever heard? What? Oh, will you just kill the person! It was an ordeal to get through the first 11-12 and I was about to give up... then they stopped staring at the watch all the time and introduced Chloe and things looked like it should get interesting... and it was, slightly, especially when they ignored Mirielle. Then it just descends into a mess again and just about the least fulfilling ending I've ever seen. Whay do I hate Noir more than any other? Because it was only just interesting enough to keep me watching instead of just giving up, repaying my patience with frustration.

2. Pilot Canidate
I barely remember what I did see of the show, just that it looked very pretty but otherwise completly despicable.

3. DNAngel
Like Noir I dislike this one simply because it was just barely entertaining enough to keep me watching but ultimately 26 episodes of futility. I kept expecting a Dark/Krad feather tickle fight.

4. Soul-Taker
Muddled in every sense. Characters, art, storyline. Simply a mess. Other Anime Unleashed shows came close to making this bottom list too- Betterman, Gungrave, that otherwise mediocre one with the genetically modified women in space with the insultingly bad non-resoltion and meaninglessly high bodycount.

5. Gravitation
O.K. I've barely watched this, but it's a fresh disapointment so fresh in my memory. Now onto the hate...
Hey, there's nothing wrong with "that." Really! I don't have a problem with "that" but I'm far from searching it out either and give me a break, this wasn't a story, it was an excuse for the expectation of boy and boy kissy face. I started watching this on Anime on Demand not knowing anything and from the beginning I thought it might have been a music anime, so I was intrigued, never saw one of those. But the band storyline was completely preposterous, a band gets signed without having songs?! not only that but they even have concerts booked?... without material?... Okay, I admit, there's a slim chance that was explained later, but I couldn't give it a chance to get there. If you want to show me a romance, gay or straight, have something other than a perfunctory back story to support it.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arbalest X

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:01 am Reply with quote
Lets see even thou i have been watching anime for around 11 years it wasnt until about 2 years ago that i become a serious viewer, to date my top ten faves are

1. Samurai X Trust and betrayal and Reflections - what can i say the total package, however the soundtracks are probably what left the biggest impression on me, haunting, beautifully, timeless.

2. Full metal panic " all seasons but TSR in particular " on paper full metal panic didn't sound like something i would like i even thought the name was corny, i have never been a fan of mecha anime but this series just had a certain magic i couldnt resist, characters are all likeable, solid action, good laughs, just wish the series wasnt taking so long to finish Rolling Eyes .

3. Kimi ga Nozomu eien - Just saw this a few weeks ago, had me wondering why none of my anime watching friends have never heard about it, This show accomplishs more in 14 esp. than anime 2 to 3 times longer do, a little far fetched but characters are very human, story is very moving, ending was pretty satisfying.

4. Berserk - Old school at it best? probably not but pretty close, what i love about berserk are the complex characters, griffith has to be one of the most interesting villians i have seen period, most people complain about the ending but it does set the stage for the mangas which i still have yet to finish reading, all in all gutts is one cool guy.

5. Excel Saga - well this list is looking a little too serious so i gotta throw this gem in, takes a certain type of humor to appreciate this show, still extremely funny, wouldnt dare watch this in subs thou, no one human could read than fast.

6. Honey and Clover - Smart, funny, cool art and music, more so really had me thinking back on my school days, and everything i did to get where i am.

7. AIR TV. - Again not the type of anime i would usually watch but a friend reccomended it, BEAUTIFULLY DRAWN!! likeable characters, misuzu probably one of the cutest char. i have ever seen, ending was a little tragic thou.

8. Grave of Fireflies - This should probably be higher on my list but i haven't seen it in a long time, i lent this dvd out over a year ago still haven't gotten it back, story was good but felt a little rushed, music didn't do the show justice either.

9. Azumanga Daioh - Excel saga lite, probably if i knew more about japanese culture i would have liked this show more, felt many jokes were losted in translation, still good fun.

10. Tokyo Godfathers. - My fave out of Satoshi's trio of films, art style's a little dull but good story none the less, proves anything is possible at christmas.

Well thats the current faves, im sure than list will change as i see more shows now for the anime's i dislike in no particular order.

Appleseed - superb art style, sub par story.

Tenjou tenge - Weird, stupid, pointless fan service, lame plot, not even the cool characters could save this show.

Vandread - annoying characters, cliche plot plus action pretty weak.

Noir - To be honest i almost liked this show, love the soundtrack, yuki rocks !! first few esp. had me hooked but the show quickly went downhill, into a boring mess, feels rushed, could a been a good show in the hands of a better studio i guess.
Bickazer

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm an anime noob and I confess that most of the stuff I view is over the TV, but oh well what the hell...I'll try this anyway...

(in no particular order)

1. Avatar: The Last Airbender. Okay, this isn't an anime, but it's a hell lot better than a lot of anime out there. I love how it's steeped in Asian mythology and the characters are cool (especially Zuko...)

2. Eyeshield 21: While I've only seen a little of the anime (I'm more into the manga) it's awesome with engaging characters, nonstop action, and humorous situations. So what if it's about football?

3. Yu-Gi-Oh GX: While objectively I know this is a pile of shit, unobjectively I can't help but love it (NOT the 4Kids dub, mind you). I used to download episodes onto my computer, but since my computer died I haven't been doing so.

4. Loveless: Catboys, shouta, and bondage! What could be better? Anime hyper

5. Nausicaa: My favorite one of Miyazaki's movies. While not as polished as his later movies, I still like the character of Nausicaa, and it's interesting to see how Princess Mononoke works on and refines the themes introduced in Nausicaa.

Least Favorite--

1. Evangelion: I just...have a prejudice against mecha anime, I suppose. Because of corruption by Isaac Asimov I prefer sentient robots who puzzle about their humanity, not big vehicles that fight. Besides, I found Evangelion to be very....confusing and senseless.

2. Love Hina: I never liked the harem genre, but I *do* admit that some are halfway good (like Mahoromatic and Chobits). Love Hina isn't one of them, however. It started off okay and then everything turned completely weird and...none of the characters ever do anything that remotely makes sense.

3. Naruto: For reasons others have stated. Dull, repetetive, overrated, and with an extremely rabid fanbase to boot. Sasuke is what really turned me off to Naruto--he's a whiny, angsty, emo brat and I don't see how he even has fans (most people hate him now though...)

4. In case you think I hate only shounen, I don't...if a shoujo sucks I dislike it too. A shoujo I hate intensely is Tokyo Mew Mew, because it's so sugary, overdone, and follows the cliched shoujo formula to death. Not to mention Aoyama's a Gary Stu idiot.

5. CLAMP School Detectives. How could I forget about this one? *smacks forehead* Little boys in short shorts acting like adults? I sense pedophilia here....
Mistress9

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Bickazer: I think maybe you should re look at Eva, I too am not a big Mecha fan but Eva isn't really about the Mecha. It is more then that. I found it was way more about the characters then the Mecha's and even the Mecha's had more character to them then most Mecha shows. Though it is very confusing and messes with your head. Anyways just some friendly advice, I wouldnt' want you to miss out on Eva's greatness. Mistress 9
Code001

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:57 am Reply with quote
Top 10 Best Animes

1. Full Metal Panic/Full Metal Panic Fummofu/Full Metal Panic: TSR

Yup, the whole Full Metal Panic bundle wrapped up all into one. This bundle of "goodness" represents everything that I've ever wanted in an anime. Not only does it contain the dark and brooding action/drama that I happen to love, but it also has its comic relief in exactly the right places. The character development is perfect; the artwork is spot on; Even the voice actors are great. I like it so much that I'm actually at a loss for words. Embarassed

2. Neon Genesis Evangelion + End of Evangelion

Ah, yes. The famous, probably most talked about anime to date. NGE + End of Evangelion is one of those animes that had me thinking weeks after it was over. It's had the best psychological intriguing plot I've ever seen. Surprisingly, I also really liked the ending (coupled with the movie though; not the ending of NGE alone) as it had you basically make your own decision on what actually happened. Was it a dream? Was it a prediction of the future? Did it actually happen? I really liked this anime. Also, before someone mentions Serial Experiment Lain as a psychological enthralling anime, note that I have not seen it yet but will very soon.

3. Full Metal Alchemist

This is yet another anime that had me thinking days after it was done. The relationship between the brothers and the hardships they have to endure are phenomenal. The actual plot development is its greatest attribute. Besides it being action/drama oriented, it has the proper comic relief to help ease the moments of tension which really lets this anime shine.

4. Cowboy Bebop

What can I say that we already don't know? I'm sure most of you have this one on your list anyway. Action, humor, drama (I'm starting to sound like a broken record...).

5. Initial D

This is an interesting pick for me. I am a big car fan (I'm actually a moderator and administrator on a few car boards) so this appeals to me right away. At first I blew it off as the whole "drifting isn't the fastest way around the track," excuses and "this probably isn't going to be realistic," but man did it ever come back and prove me wrong! Not only is the anime VERY realistic from the suspension articulation to the actual vehicle dynamics but its plot is just golden. For the record, I still think FD's wing on Stage 1 is WAY too high and provides unnecessary downforce on a relatively slow and already aerodynamic vehicle. Embarassed

6. Trigun

:turns back on record: .....action....drama.....comedy.....loveable characters (hey, that's one I haven't said yet!) My favorite thing about this anime is how it starts off as more of a comedy and then all the sudden does an about-face to an extremely dark element of death and whether it is right or wrong for one person to kill another. It's just gold in my book.

7. GTO

Great Teacher Onizuka has to be my favorite comedy anime. It features extremely likeable characters with a very realistic overtone. No one has any real special powers (Onizuka can seem a bit superhuman at times though) and overall it's just great, fun anime that is enjoyable to watch. It's one of those animes that put a nice smile on my face.

8. Last Exile

2 words. Instant Classic. While I'd really like to see a bit more development in certain areas, the whole anime itself had me from the first episode. The graphics were some of the best to date and besides, how can you not like Al? Smile

9. Genshiken

This is an anime that took me completely by surprise. I decided to get it on a whim but it became one of my favorite animes to date (and making it to the top 10 Wink ). I think the reason I like it so much is because I can relate to a lot of what is going on. There is no real plot other than a boy turning more and more into an anime fanatic as each episode passes. Best of all, it has just the right amount of episodes.

10. Now and Then, Here and There

I just finished watching this a few hours ago and it is now in my favorite anime section. I was expecting it to actually have comic relief but it was just drama after heartbreaking drama. There's no real character development or an extremely strong plot, but the overtones are what make this anime so great; it really never lets up. It will definitely be an anime I'll be watching again in the near future.

Hororable Mentions:
Rurouni Kenshin - Didn't make the cut only because of the fillers
Goldenboy - Short and sweet comic anime
Akira - Classic
Ghost in the Shell - Classic
Outlaw Star - Classic (at least in my opinion but I feel some will debate this)

Top 5 Worst Animes:

1. X/1999

This was hyped up by my friend as "the best anime to date." I decided to rent it with him and we watched it together. All I gotta say is, I still want the 1 hour and 37 minutes back of my life PLUS my $6 PLUS compensation money for having to endure such a pathetic anime.

2. Tekken

Do I really need to elaborate?

3. Super Milk Chan

A comedy? Dude, crack kills....seriously. What the hell were the people who made this thinking?

4. Gantz

This was another thing hyped up from a friend. Now, I know a lot of people here like this anime but to me, the ending was a cop-out. I've seen both sides of the argument so I really don't need reiteration by anyone but I was hoping, just that little bit, that the ending would be wonderful but it completely failed IMO.

5. FLCL

What the hell? Seriously? I can't even get past the first episode it's that bad.

Dishonorable Mentions:
Pokémon - At first, the games were fun [red and blue] but it was overhyped way too fast and just became redundant
Yu-Gi-Oh - Um.....people fighting while yelling out cards in a Pokémon fashion? Yeah...ok....
.hack// series (just bored the crap out of me)

Last edited by Code001 on Fri May 12, 2006 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
hollaback12

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:58 am Reply with quote
10 Top Favorite Anime
1.Rurouni Kenshin: This series had so much action that went hand in hand with the great storyline. I really enjoy anime with samurai a lot and this has to be the best one I ever saw to date.
2. Tenchi: It was one of first anime and I just got hooked. The many different storylines was intriguing and makes you watch each episode more than once. Everytime you watch it you learn something new. I enjoyed all Tenchi series except Tenchi in Tokyo.
3. DBZ: I have to put DBZ beacause it was the first anime series I have ever watched and it lead me to watch different anime. I like action and comedy.
4.Saiyuki: The action stays connected with the storyline all through the anime except of a couple of episodes. The charm of the series is the complete differences of the main characters and the similiarites of the villians.
5.Slayers: Parts of the series and the movies bounced around each other, but I liked the growth of the characters.
6.Ninja Scrolls: The only problem with the series is that it was too short. The plot for all the fights were great.
7.Akira: A cult-classic, the very first anime anything that I ever saw and it was ahead of its time.
Others to mention
8.Outlaw Star: Pretty decent storyline and non-static characters.
9.Fushigi Yuugi: a nice fantasy anime that takes place in two eras and countries, displays the differences between the two times and connects all of the characters together.
10. Samurai Champloo: great idea of having hip-hop instrumentals in feudal japan
Bottom 5
1. Dragon Ball GT: no point of making it, pushed me away from Dragonball
2. Tenchi in Tokyo: got lost in the storyline and hate the VA's
3. Ninja Resurrection: it needed to stay dead
4. Digimon after Davis' cast: just turned into crap
Bickazer

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Mistress9 wrote:
Bickazer: I think maybe you should re look at Eva, I too am not a big Mecha fan but Eva isn't really about the Mecha. It is more then that. I found it was way more about the characters then the Mecha's and even the Mecha's had more character to them then most Mecha shows. Though it is very confusing and messes with your head. Anyways just some friendly advice, I wouldnt' want you to miss out on Eva's greatness. Mistress 9

Look at all the other anime I like. Do you honestly think I'm the Eva-liking type? Read this:

Quote:
Because of corruption by Isaac Asimov I prefer sentient robots who puzzle about their humanity

I don't think there's an anime like this, though (someone ought to make one).

I don't mean to be rude, but I just want you to know that you will never sway me to like Eva. I just don't like it, and that is that.
Ornette

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:02 am Reply with quote
Bickazer wrote:
Look at all the other anime I like. Do you honestly think I'm the Eva-liking type? Read this:

Quote:
Because of corruption by Isaac Asimov I prefer sentient robots who puzzle about their humanity

I don't mean to be rude, but I just want you to know that you will never sway me to like Eva. I just don't like it, and that is that.

Well, to be specific, the evangelions are not really robots at all, they're bio-mechanical, and on several occasions, act on their own accord (you'll see this happen in the beginning of the very first episode).
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:29 am Reply with quote
[quote="Bickazer]
Quote:

[/quote]
off the top of my head..

Metropolis
Kikaider
even Astroboy, somewhat

there must be more, it's a core sci-fi premise, used by many.
eric-jan

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:15 am Reply with quote
First of all: you ask the impossible ^^, but i'll try.. I'll prolly write something different tomorrow Very Happy

1.Gungrave
MASTERPIECE. I heard it was made after a game. I gather that's why ep 1 and 18-22 sucked so hard ^^. But the story in this anime WOW, It ownz all the others, and then there's the action, very nice! The most amazing thing about this anime is that it's hard to put this anime in a specific Genre. Yes a "mafia genre" would be perfect, but what i mean is that this anime knows Action, Comedy, Romance, Fantasy, Mystery, Adventure.. YOU NAME IT =)!!!!

2.Cowboy bebop (tv)
Yes, the overall story is not the best, but all the individual stories are excellent. The nicest thing I like about this name is the unique character of all the characters involved. It's amazing how the creaters of this anime have been able to bind such a diverse group of characters. Also I like the action in this anime. Furthermore I like some of the quotes they use like "flow like water" (fighting style *Bruce Lee). The fact that they're now showing this anime on Dutch MTV pleases me Smile

3. Basilisk
Heard many bad things about this anime, and now that I think about the comments myself I also see that some of the eps are crappy because the Romance aspect of the story between the 2 'head ninja's' isn't the most spectacular.. The action in this Anime is amaaazing, I like a good standard ninja anime where every character has a unique ability. Not only skill in fighting helps you defeat your enemy in this anime but also skill in acting/faking, plotting, threatening, seduction, outnumbering, etc. does the trick.

4. Samurai Champloo
Loads of comedy and fantastic swordfighting scenes in this anime. The fact that there's a lot of Dutch culture (like Van Gogh) in this anime is nice 2.. although it was hilarious to see Dutch ninja's in weird hats and in wooden shoes ^^^ and the fact that the samurai Mugen and Jin meet HAD to be gay Very Happy. Nice story 2.

5. Speed Grapher
Newer anime. The idea of a man being able to destroy stuff with his powers by using a camera made most of my friends not want to watch this anime ^^. Although this IS the way most people try to explain this anime, there's more behind it! The drama in this anime is the thing that does it, you'll see Wink. Very nice story!!

6. Elfen Lied
I think most of the posters have put this anime in their anime top 10. I gotta do the same. Not only does this anime start out with a kickass beginning, it has a very nice ending 2. The thing about this anime is that it has a verrrrrrrry serious side to it (lot of aputations etc Very Happy), but also a very childish and funny side (Nyuu).

7. GTO
It's hard not to put this anime as #1. It has such a brilliant side to it. I think its like "FRIENDS (US tv series)", but then the anime version. It's not about the overall story (even waaay less than Cowboy bebop). You could compare it to Hajime no Ippo. All in all: enough Comedy and Drama for the whole family.

8. Wolf's Rain
Beautiful music, fantastic fantasy anime. Cool characters. The action is OK, but the overall story is immense (although partly complicated to follow, some parts almost as hard as those vague eps of Evangelion or the movie Razz).

9. Akira
"The God of Anime". Lot's of people know this anime, usually not seen it though. A beautiful philosophical story and well animated. A masterpiece. Others have said the same.

10. Kenshin (tv)
I've actually seen all 95 eps. Most people stop after the bandaged guy. The rest isnt that bad Razz. This anime is full of humor and good action (I think the predecessor of Naruto).

Pff, other reaaaally good anime I could have easily chosen to be in my top 10: Bleach, Naruto, Berserk, Inu Yasha (used to be my fav), Dead Leaves, Wicked City (!! first anime i've ever seen, but got some hentai Sad), Fist of the North Star (tv), Hajime no Ippo, FMA, Grave of the Fireflies, Hellsing, Metropolis, Nausicaa of the valley of the wind, evangelion (tv), Ninja scroll (movie), Princess Mononoke, Kenshin ova, Spirited Away, Texhnolyze, Otogi Zoshi, Initial D, Record of Lodoss War (OAV)

Anime I dont like; why explain why, will only hurt peoples feelings: The Animatrix, Tekken (movie), Ghost in the Shell (movie), some dbz movies, Kogepan (Very Happy).
I'm sorry, but Saiyuki I dont like at all: it was soooooo boring, some weird, crappy action, no blood, lame jokes, lame skills:roll: . OK its probably a childrens anime (although rated for Teenagers, prolly just cause of the intro)... but that doesnt mean I can get the time back that i wasted watching the 3 first eps :'(Shocked .. and to think I actually started watching it because some guys had put it in their top 10 on this forum ^^^. Evil or Very Mad
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:23 pm Reply with quote
You seriously want to know how hard this was? I had 15 favorites, but to narrow down to just 10 is hard, but hey..here you go!
You'll very soon notice my tastes in anime aren't normal. However, to each his or her own I suppose.
Sorry if these aren't really long enough.. atleast I gave some kinda explaination.

10. Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team
This being a short series had its ups and downs, but its biggest up was a very intriguing relationship. A Zeon and Federal love story. A psycho brother and a cool bodyguard. A crazy Fed general, a bunch of loyal teammates. Definately one for the Top 10. I loved the shocking ending. I didn't care for "Miller's Report" much... It kinda bored me.

9. Full Metal Panic!
Music, animation, comic relief and characters are the reason why this is No.9... it'd be much higher, but it'd be kinda hard. That's why I like this anime in my No.9 spot!

8. Neon Genesis Evangelion
Religious/Mecha/Angsty anime! YAY! All the elements of a good anime. I liked the music, plot and some characters. Its not one I'd watch 24/7 though. However, its still in my Top 10, which even surprises me!

7. School's Ghost Stories
I'd prefer the English dub, so this is based upon it.
It's hilliarious, sinful and ghostly. The music is energetic, there is a story in each episode, the characters are quite relatable and it gives you the sense of fun in the end.

6. Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok
I haven't seen the entire series, only up to Episode 17. However, my early impression is that - WOW. This anime and its art are beautiful. It has likeable characters, comic relief, nice VAs, great music. I'm very pleased about it.

5. Soul Hunter
At first I was hesitant about it - then I rented it - hesitated a bit more - then bought the entire series! I watched it and loved it! It has a few fillers, but only like 1-2. Otherwise, I like the characters, the comic relief randomly by Seibuxiang, and the surprising intresting villains! The twist at the end is priceless!

4. D.N.Angel
My 1st actual anime - An overall excellent plot, a good few subplots and good side-stories. All characters are pretty likable. The animation and music is flawless. This anime will be in my collection for a good while before I get old of it!

3. Genshiken
I really liked this anime because it really told a story - a story of a boy becoming "Anime-fied" or "Otaku-fied", whichever you prefer. The end left me with a sweet smell of niceness. I also liked the extra episode of Kujibiki Unbalance. That OP song for KBU is really memorable.

2. Fruits Basket
I like it because if I've had a bad day at work or school, I put a disc in and it makes me feel a whole lot better. It's a real motivational booster. It's ending left crying but - I was happy at the same time. I just love this anime. I'm still hoping for a continuation, but if not, hey, its still good!

1. Chrno Crusade
I like it because it gives a religion an intresting background, most of whats said is somewhat fictional, but other is truth. It just left me intrigued and the ending is the saddest, but most touching moment in my anime lifetime.

---
Honorable Mentions(15): Full Metal Alchemist,s-Cry-Ed, Trigun, Outlaw Star, GITS: SAC, Loveless, King of Bandits Jing, Naruto, Cowboy Bebop, Yu Yu Hakusho, Eden's Bowy, Last Exile, Paranoia Agent, Bleach and Gankutsuou

---
Least Five
5. Gundam SEED (Including Destiny)
4. Gundam Wing (Excluding Endless Waltz)
I'll group these together into 1 review, I'm sorry, but I don't consider them actual Gundam series. Endless Waltz was 100x better than the overall Gundam Wing Series. Gundam SEED along with Destiny is just an atrocity to mankind. I'd never watch these animes again. Why? Because I put them on my list of Anime Not to Watch Forever. I just hated the characters(Duo was the only decent one!) and Kira is more dumbfounded than any Gundam pilot I've ever seen. These are -disgraces- to the Gundam Era. The only SEED character I liked is Lacus Clyne. She could beat up Relena anyday. It gets awfully repetitive. I give SEED and Destiny 2/5 stars, except Wing, which I give 1/5.

3. Dragonball/Z/GT
Wow. I hated this anime when it ended. It was the second most(see No.1) repetitive anime I've seen. Nothing but fighting just because they want to be the strongest in the universe or achieve a higher power? Character designs are just horrid. Music isn't even memerable. The VAs are -kinda- annoying. I urge 'kinda'. I give this anime, 1/5 stars.

2. Samurai Champloo
Lamest plot ever. Ugliest characters ever. Shoot me now and put me out of my misery from watching this boring anime with no real point! If I am told to watch or buy it, I will not take kindly. I don't want to waste money buying this horrid anime. I'd give it 1/5 stars, just because Sara and Fuu were cute.

1. InuYasha
OMG. I hate, hate, hate, hate and did I mention I hate this anime! It's nothing but 60+ hours of pure filler and boredom. It has no real emotion. Everything becomes quite obvious after Naraku appears and dies 45,769 times. Since the anime is over, the manga is likely better, but you know, I'm not going to give a rating, because I hate it so much, I'll give it 0/5 stars. This anime is for Junior High kids. It's nothing but filler, something very, very lame.
---

Dishonorable Mentions(15): Gantz, Initial D, Yu-Gi-Oh(All Series), Pokemon, Tenjou Tenge, Pilot Candidate, Noir, Madlax, FLCL, Beyblade, Super Milkchan, ZatchBell, Bobo-bobobo, and Eureka Seven
---
Zero89

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:43 am Reply with quote
hmmm... not like anyone is going to read this, but whatever...
3 animes that I did not enjoy...

1.) Rune soldier
Holy cr@p! man, how boring can an anime be... I mean where's the story? The characters where exceptionally annoying, and did I mention no plot! I guess it was supposed to be a comedy, but it wasn't nearly funny enough to make up for it's lack of any type of development...plot or characters.

2.) Super milk chan
... to anyone who has ever seen this, was there ever a funny moment in this "comedy"? The character design was just SO ugly, and the voices... they were as equally annoying as the horrible so called "art".

3.) Gantz
Is this really how people think? Do people really pull out there camera phones to take pictures of flying heads? How can 20 some odd people watch a bum fall on train tracks and not care?
The show almost saved its @ss towards the end, when it stopped with all the horrifying commentaries, and actually started getting interesting, only to lead on to a HORRIBLE ending that solved abosolutely NOTHING! I've read some interpretations of the ending, and I can only same one thing... You can find depth in a puddle of mud...

Now that I've gotten that off my chest I can actually start commenting on some good anime Smile...

10.) Shuffle
Now I usually don't like harem animes very much, but for some bizzare reason I found this to be really funny in the beginning, and it actually got pretty dramatic towards the end, a defintie plus for me, I happen to hate senseless animes with no plot, no end.

9.) Air (TV)
A human can only feel one thing after an ending like that...
Crying or Very sad OMG, you just keep asking yourself what's the point? I really don't know why, but in the last episode I was actally crying... not just tearing, tears were literally streaming down my face, I still tear a little when I think about it. But to make matters worse, I was watching it with a few "non anime watching" friends, but luckily they didn't actually no what I was doing every time I lifted my shirt up to wipe the tears Rolling Eyes.. overall, I felt so attached to the charcters by the end of the show, it was almost as if spoiler[my own friend died]... actually this whole thing was quite a rare occurence, I mean crying with your friends right next to you... I seriously couldn't stop.

8.) RahXephon
Another great series... just a great concept, with great character development.

7.) Noein (would be higher, but I haven't seen the whole thing.)
One word that popped out of my head when I first watched this was wow... thats an interesting character design... but after the second episode I got used to the artwork, and began to really get involved with the story line... simply put, I'm surprised that not that many people liked it that much, at least to me this is possibly the best science fiction anime I'll ever watch.

6.) Elfen Lied
I still remember my intitial reaction to the intro... Holy crap, this is some gorry sh!t... but it turned out to be a much deeper story than just blood and guts, and I don't think I've ever cheered as much for the death of little children, I mean how cruel can a kid be... you'll know what I mean if you've watched it... but besides that, you actually feel as if you know the characters, spoiler[Lucy not just a psycho, she's as human as you or I].

5.) Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya ( again, it would be higher, but it's still not finished.)
I take it back... this is possibly (depending on how they finish the rest of the series) the best sci-fi anime/anime of any genre I've ever seen. I've heard some nasty rumor that it's only going to be 14 episodes, but if that's true, please let there be a sequal Wink please, it would be such a shame to not finish off a story of this quality. I want More!Crying or Very sad I mean I absolutely love the characters in this show, there isn't one charcter that I find annoying (yet), and the plot is just bizzare enough to be truly original, yet interesting and believable enough to really get you thinking... it is... possible. and it might actually be probable... I just can't say enough about the greatness of this show, but I will admit that Kyon's narration is what really sets this series above the competitors.
yeah well i'm getting tired, so I'll finsh the rest off later... although i'm probably just typing to myself...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 34 of 122