• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Warriors Born

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that Dragon's Crown is still ago. The game was supposed to come out last year but never happened. I wish game companies would give better updates as to why it's being delayed. Expect the game to give you a serious challenge like all the other games they've done.

Yeah, Vanillaware's main artist has a very interesting style. I would love to see an artbook released on his work. But I'm hoping to see it this year.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I was finally happy that re1.5 finally got leaked after all of these years. Although the said leak is only for a 30-40% debugging beta not a yet complete game but like you. Also said it had a lot of interesting idea's in for 97 that where amazing but I would still love to see where this version would have headed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, this weeks X-Button was awesome, but yet again, seems to miss something, that something is...Rolling Eyes

Its coming 2/27 on XBLA for 800MSP. Seriously, Todd always miss one thing, and its something like this...>_>

Just to let you know, it kinda plays like its retail fighter (which is still indefinitely delayed in the NA/US. >_>), but with Scott Pilgrim/Guardian Heroes mechanics.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoyed the interview in this column (but then, I'm a growing Hakuouki fan). My ears also perked at the mention of Princess Arthur - I've got my fingers crossed that that one will make its way to the West in due time. Meanwhile, I'll be waiting for Sweet Fuse. ^^;
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Using loud voice with clear enunciation: Norn 9 and especially Princess Arthur for PSP, pretty please! Love Hakuoki!
OtakuKitten

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Thank you so much for the interview!!! I loved hearing from the creators. My copy of the newest Hakouki hasn't arrived in the mail yet but I know that it will be a fun play through.

I first bought Hakouki simply because I wanted to support a genera of games that the US doesn't see very often and I was completely drawn in by the story and the characters. It was a great way to introduce American gamers to this type of game.

I now make in my mission to pre-order any of Idea factories games that I can. I really hope they are able to release Norn 9 and Princess Arthur states side. They will defiantly have a place on my shelf waiting for them.
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I'd hardly call Hakuouki "An ideal example of the “otome” games that target female players". It's a good visual novel, as an Otome game... not so much. It's really lacking in romance, and if you're not into history it's really TL;DR. I think something like BeastMaster and Prince is a better example, It had a solid plot with a good amount of romance. Also the Heroine, Tiana, is great~

(Though if we have any more otoge release I'd like something like Black Wolves Saga, Beast Master and Prince, Wand of Fortune, or even Amnesia or DiaLovers because they are getting an anime. Though if NorN9 or Princess Arthur were release here I'd be all over it regardless... but I'm curious as to why those two are specifically mentioned? Is there something I missed? I know Norn9 is pretty popular, but I wasn't aware so many were looking forward to Princess Arthur to name drop it.)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Saki joins up with numerous handsome strangers to rescue her uncle and, I assume, ensure that Soul Sacrifice, Kaio: King of Pirates, and Inafune's other games ship on time.

Seriously Todd, ugh. -_-

Quote:
help me gamefaqs i accidentally named my guild BUTT CRUSADERS and i need to change it before my mom sees

Little boys, forever ruining the Internet and thinking they're funny no matter what they say, but then realizing their parents will kill them for their immaturity. That caption reminded me too much of those kinds of posts. XD

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of the girls who bought Hakuouki, as well as many people who did so who continue to send messages to Aksys that we want more otome games. I didn't buy Hakuouki because I was a fan of the franchise, or a Shinsengumi fan, I bought it because I've been waiting over over 10 years for an Otome game I can play off my computer.

And yeah, Hakuouki isn't that good for it's genre. I was amusing, but the supernatural elements to the story, and the main character were just downright stupid at times. But still that didn't keep me from playing for every character and all the good endings because as any US girl gamer over here who can't read Japanese can tell you, OMFG IT'S AN OTOME GAME IN ENGLISH!

I didn't even need to read the plot of Sweet Fuse to consider buying it. It was pre-ordered in my head at "Otome Game". Girl Gamers like me are just that desperate to support anything at all from the genre, and until we get more some of us will just continue to replay the crap out of Persona 3 Portable.

Seriously though, what's keeping Alice in the Country of Hearts from being licensed here? With how popular the manga is here, and the cult following of anything Alice, it stands to reason that a PC only release with no dub would sell no problem. Playing otome games with a dictionary and translation program on the side is a serious hassle.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
>Normal mode, where life is just unfair

Ehhhhh, I think that statement itself is a bit unfair. More like 'Life expects you to prepare for every worst case scenario' if anything. As someone who recently jumped into the series in EOIII, I at least haven't found the game UNFAIR so much as occasionally punishing. If you step outside your area of... Safety, let's say, the game is prepared to make it clear that you have done so. It WILL throw that strong group of creatures at you that will one hit KO your tank or get a critical strike on your back row Medic. The game 'loves' to put players into scenarios where they panic, so the best you can do is keep calm and prepare to die and lose some minor progress every now and then.

However, the game is a LITTLE less punishing this time around in EOIV, with skill trees to guide players as to what to unlock, the casual mode, the removal of the 'farmer' class and all classes now being able to gather resources, as well as a seemingly more fair EXP gain rate (though others claim they haven't noticed the change in the demo) and numerous other minor tweaks.

Everyone needs to give the demo a try at least and if you like it, buy the game and support a very under-valued genre of RPG's. You may discover one of the most rewarding experiences in an RPG in a long time, at least that's how I feel, with every battle feeling like it could be my last, planning my dive through the dungeons carefully and packing supplies for my party as though I'm actually on some journey or exploration party... It's one hell of an experience.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I know a lot of women who had previously never bought any kind of gaming system went out and bought PSPs in anticipation of the first Hakuoki announcement. All of them enjoyed the game and are pre-ordering Sweet Fuse even though none of them have heard of it. All we need to know is "otome game", and we will support it.

I totally agree with littlgreeenwolf about the Alice in the Country of.... games. Every manga from that franchise ends up the bestseller list. Why nobody has capitalized on that and localized the games is a complete mystery to me. As previously stated, a PC sub-only version would sell. It surprises me that MangaGamer has not shown any interest in otome titles at all. I guess that company is a "guys-only" type of deal, to the extent that they are willing to miss out on some easy $$$ in order to maintain the "only-boys-allowed" club. They could use a competitor...
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I know a lot of women who had previously never bought any kind of gaming system went out and bought PSPs in anticipation of the first Hakuoki announcement. All of them enjoyed the game and are pre-ordering Sweet Fuse even though none of them have heard of it. All we need to know is "otome game", and we will support it.

As I am a man, I'm PROBABLY not in the best situation to judge this but I am interested in Otome-ge as well. Anyway, I have to ask: is supporting EVERY oto-ge release a good idea. I understand how incredibly rare they are, but are you gals willing to buy any oto-ge released in English no matter what its quality may be?

Quote:
I totally agree with littlgreeenwolf about the Alice in the Country of.... games. Every manga from that franchise ends up the bestseller list. Why nobody has capitalized on that and localized the games is a complete mystery to me. As previously stated, a PC sub-only version would sell. It surprises me that MangaGamer has not shown any interest in otome titles at all. I guess that company is a "guys-only" type of deal, to the extent that they are willing to miss out on some easy $$$ in order to maintain the "only-boys-allowed" club. They could use a competitor...

Now this I'll definitely agree with. I love the Alice In The Country of X manga and getting to play the original game would be really cool.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
As I am a man, I'm PROBABLY not in the best situation to judge this but I am interested in Otome-ge as well. Anyway, I have to ask: is supporting EVERY oto-ge release a good idea. I understand how incredibly rare they are, but are you gals willing to buy any oto-ge released in English no matter what its quality may be?

At this point, yes, because there isn't exactly a huge choice of localized games. We do, however, write letters to Aksys telling them what we are interested in. Lately, its been for the Amnesia game, since the anime is sparking interest in it, and also Eikoku Tantei Mysteria since the teasers have been floating around.

The group I hang around seems to prefer the games that include solving a mystery, rather than just straight dating sim type things.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Let me get this straight. There's a game out there that has the fictional niece of a real life guy fighting bad guys in order to save both him and an amusement park from a madman. That's just as weird as the "Sakura Wars" game that was set in 1920's era America,and that's pretty darn weird.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Princess Arthur looks really awesome and I had never heard of Norn9, but the teaser video I found has very much caught my interest. I would love Aksys forever and ever if they brought those over (OK, well, I already do, but don't tell them!)
Chagen46 wrote:

I think that's a fair question. I agree with tuxedocat - at this point, they're few and far between. I really enjoyed the first Hakuoki and I'm looking forward to the newest installment as well. Sweet Fuse wasn't what I was expecting, but it's sweet and cute. I feel like it's important to vote with your wallet when you can, but there is a limit as well.

However, voting with my wallet didn't help when Bandai imploded, taking the second licensed Tales of the Abyss (Jade) manga with it. I, uh, gave away a lot of Asch the Bloody manga volumes at Christmas that year. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2