• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Reports 200,000+ Paid Subscribers

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:44 am Reply with quote
Damn, CR sure are earning revenues now. Well, wondering when they will hit the 300k mark.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:52 am Reply with quote
Wow, they signed up half their subscribers in the last six months? Sounds like they are really picking up steam.

Article wrote:
With subscriptions starting at US$6.95 per month (not counting discount sales), the animeanime.jp website estimated that monthly subscription revenues would be well over 100 million yen (about US$1 million).

Nuh, you don't say.

$6.95 x 200,000 = $1,390,000

$1,390,000 > $1,000,000

You don't have to be a maths genius to work that one out.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:13 am Reply with quote
That's enough to fund one reasonably low budgeted show per month on gross revenue. I don't know what it costs to run CR, or what they actually pay back to Japan.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:15 am Reply with quote
Some people are paying $12/month to watch live-action K- and J-dramas as well as anime. Given their growing popularity in the West, they have probably driven subscriptions as well. If 10% of CRs subs are paying the $12/month rate, that would add another $100,000 or so to monthly revenues.

CR also collects advertising revenues for viewings by non-subscribers. As I have always subscribed, I have no idea how many ads are shown per episode. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that a substantial chunk of the audience for shows like Naruto Shippuden or Bleach are not subscribers.
Hybridbloodszak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:24 am Reply with quote
Really glad for the company! A great service that does what it advertises and picks up 90% of the simulcasts per season and available on a crap ton of devices.

Hope they keep it up with the seasons moving forward especially with more competitors coming into the fold like DAISUKI
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:40 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
You don't have to be a maths genius to work that one out.

It's possible Crunchy crossed the $1mil/mo threshold a while ago if you figure in ad revenue as well, but ANN may have wanted to hold off calling this milestone until it was (as you note) utterly indisputable.

At any rate, congrats to Crunchyroll. This is great news.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:50 am Reply with quote
Yeah, but they didn't need to quote a Japanese website as a source. That was unnecessary.

But you're right, it is great news for Crunchyroll. And to think they used to be an illegal source of Anime, and now they're legit and making money. Good on them.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:03 am Reply with quote
I'm glad they're doing well. I've subscribed for two years and will renew again this year.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:09 am Reply with quote
Good on them. With the introduction of PS3 streaming, watching anime in Pace with japan has never been easier.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:01 am Reply with quote
Congrats to them. Launching on consoles probably had a lot to do with that massive increase in subs. I've always found it easy to connect a laptop to a TV but being on consoles that already lived under televisions helped... plus it exposes them to 100+ million extra people.

I'd love to see crowd funding physical releases added to their lineup. This is probably the only way stuff like Erin the Beast Player would see a US release.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:08 am Reply with quote
Well done, CR! Don't forget that in addition to subscription fees and advertising revenue, they might also be making a little pocket change through their CR store and daily deals. I love that site and wish them the very best.
Niyari

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:21 am Reply with quote
WTB Vita app..
j Talbain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:44 am Reply with quote
Such a better service than NeonAlley
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:45 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
CR also collects advertising revenues for viewings by non-subscribers. As I have always subscribed, I have no idea how many ads are shown per episode. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that a substantial chunk of the audience for shows like Naruto Shippuden or Bleach are not subscribers.

Let's see, I was watching La Corda d'Oro last week... Going off memory, there's one commercial before it starts, two at the halfway point, and one if you wait for the episode to end instead of just clicking to the next one. But I'm kind of confused on how they do commercials, because sometimes I swear I don't get any. When I was watching Otome Yokai Zakuro as it aired, I don't remember getting any commercials.
cche7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:57 am Reply with quote
I'm proud to say that I am one of the many paid subscribers. Hopefully more people will sign up and help support the industry
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4