• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, March 18-24

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see GuP is in the top 3.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Over 81k for Unicorn is a crazy number, even for Gundam and especially with it dwarfing a Monogatari series. I wish it were easier to check the show out (namely, outside of a PSN rental) before shelling out big bucks for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think Love Live was going to sell so well
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

Idols are a huge fad in anime these days, after all. I'm really hoping it'll get a sequel.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote
The fact that 4 out of 5 of the customers who bought Gundam Unicorn 6 in BD chose the pricier limited edition shows that Japanese otaku love spending money on fancy stuff. In my view this also shows that reverse importation is a big, big myth. Japanese executives are crazy if they think Japanese otaku will buy bare bones R1 releases over their fancier domestic releases.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
The fact that 4 out of 5 of the customers who bought Gundam Unicorn 6 in BD chose the pricier limited edition shows that Japanese otaku love spending money on fancy stuff. In my view this also shows that reverse importation is a big, big myth. Japanese executives are crazy if they think Japanese otaku will buy bare bones R1 releases over their fancier domestic releases.

And for the Nanoha movie, its 5 to 1 selected the more expensive version.

But that Super Limited Edition did come with a tapestry of the 3 main girls naked, so its not a big surprise given the Nanoha fanbase.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
getchman wrote:

Idols are a huge fad in anime these days, after all. I'm really hoping it'll get a sequel.

I'm starting to track the connection anime's had a tie to making stories about idols and stardom, but it's had limited or ignored notice in the west. We have Macross as the prime example, and various other series that mix in idols in some fashion throughout the 80s. I just recently checked out Idol Defense Force Hummingbird where girls piloted jets, which is like Aozora Shoujotai, but they were also idol singers here.

One of the cast of Cyberteam in Akihabara had a dream of becoming an idol. Idol Fight Suchie-Pai was to promote some video game, notable only because Kenichi Sonada designed the girls. And around that time you had the Idol Project OVA.

For shoujo stuff, there was Idol Tenshi Youkoso Yoko and Idol Densetsu Eriko, amongst others like Mahou no Idol Pastel Yumi, which comes from Creamy Mami pedigree. Idols are a big deal, but I think we're seeing most idol stuff without associated gimmicks like magical girl or mecha.

angelmcazares wrote:

Even if it were a myth, the ramifications and various detrimental effects on us aren't.
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
getchman wrote:

Doesn't hurt that Love Live was already a popular franchise since 2010 before the anime aired.

Quote:
But that Super Limited Edition did come with a tapestry of the 3 main girls naked, so its not a big surprise given the Nanoha fanbase.

That tapestry was a store bonus from Gamers and not every retailer.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Nice numbers. I bought two of these. I want to watch A's but my girlfriends family is in town.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Even if it were a myth, the ramifications and various detrimental effects on us aren't.

I can agree with you on that. My initial post is aimed at the R1 fans who seem to be aligned with the unfounded and greatly exaggerated fears of reverse importation coming from Japanese executives.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I can agree with you on that. My initial post is aimed at the R1 fans who seem to be aligned with the unfounded and greatly exaggerated fears of reverse importation coming from Japanese executives.

Also, if Japanese otaku made saving money a priority, it would be far cheaper just to rent Gundam UC from any Tsutaya. And if they want to see it again, rent it again. It's Gundam. It won't be going anywhere. Or they could wait a few months and get a cheaper used copy (though being Gundam, the used price won't be all that much lower).

Even with these options, though, for some reason a whole lot of fanboys run out to get the best and shiniest on the day of release.
bhl88

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

And for the Nanoha movie, its 5 to 1 selected the more expensive version.

Animate contains:
- box made by artist
- Wallet of Darkness
- cards
- tapestry with the three girls in cute dresses (or probably their formal dance clothes?)
Khooni

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:02 am Reply with quote
Horizon still famous??
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:19 am Reply with quote
busy week for anime fans. with those number, Horizon normally is enough for the #1 spot, but not this week.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:32 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:

Also, if Japanese otaku made saving money a priority, it would be far cheaper just to rent Gundam UC from any Tsutaya. And if they want to see it again, rent it again. It's Gundam. It won't be going anywhere. Or they could wait a few months and get a cheaper used copy (though being Gundam, the used price won't be all that much lower).

Even with these options, though, for some reason a whole lot of fanboys run out to get the best and shiniest on the day of release.

It's the same why luxury brands are big deal in Japan and Asia - it's a status symbol. Japanese would rather pay full price for a Gucci rather than go down the block and get the same Gucci on sale. Ya get more street cred bragging how much something cost ya.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2