• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zettai Bōei Leviathan (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote

Zettai Bōei Leviathan (TV)
Plot:
Quote:
The story is set in Aquafall, a fantasy world abound with water and greenery, and populated by dragons and fairies. Meteorites suddenly bring forth evil creatures that threaten all living things on the planet. The fairy Syrup assembles the Aquafall Defense Force, with three girls of the dragon clans as recruits. The story follows Syrup and the dragon girls Leviathan, Bahamut, and Jörmungandr as they work together to battle enemies and grow up.

Episode 1

A cute show with pretty girls with magic, based in a place very much like a game, with the opening having opening shot of the main heroine big noting herself and calling the other "approximately two other characters". I am in. Well one of the big things I noticed was that the three main character's names are different serpents (or giant fish) from mythology, Leviathan from Jewish and Christian, Jörmungandr from Norse, and Bahamut from Arabic. Having them as cute characters, like calling Leviathan Leviatan, seems rather humorous to me. There is also Syrup, although I am pretty sure that is a sugary desert topping.

I like what I see here, although this does look like the sort of thing people pass over, kind of like Mondaiji, although that turned out well. It does seem this series is a bit tongue in cheek, but I can not quite tell to what extent, there are bits like a grown man starting a fight with a fairy. I thought the opening and closing songs were very good, I look forward to seeing more. Of the characters, it seems we have two mages, a girl with a sharp tongue and supposed protector of women, the heroine who seems a little hard to get a reading of other than being frank missing her brother and really likeing tea. And the there is warrior girl who has a ridiculously large axe.

So who likes dragon girls?
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
A girl with a tail is always a win in my book.

Yeah I noticed Leviathan's name is spelled "Leviatan" at Crunchyroll. I don't know what the official spelling is but I definitely think the -tan spelling suits the show and character the best (because of how -tan is the cutesy way of pronouncing "chan" that's why the anthromorphosized versions of OP systems into moe girls always ended with -tan in their names).

Not to get technical but Jörmungandr would be a tank. Did you see how the table shattered to pieces when it hit her? And when the beetle hit her head it passed out for a while but that didn't happen when it hit the other two girls' heads. As a gamer I just couldn't overlook those two clues in spelling out what her battle role is going to be.
Zork

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Based on the description I was expecting a more serious show. But I was pleasantly surprised after watching the first episode. I liked the humor and overall cuteness of the characters. Jörmungandr instantly became my favorite when the beetle bounced off her head and it landed on the ground, stunned. I also liked the scene where the table is destroyed by her just holding up her arm.

This show is definitely on my to view list.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:26 am Reply with quote
I liked it. I'm kind of a sucker for cute girl shows. One thing that bugged me and it's something that is particular to me is I always hate when a character is hungry and really looking forward to eating something and then doesn't get to eat whatever it is he/she was looking forward to eating. Yeah, I know. It's a thing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:05 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
One thing that bugged me and it's something that is particular to me is I always hate when a character is hungry and really looking forward to eating something and then doesn't get to eat whatever it is he/she was looking forward to eating. Yeah, I know. It's a thing.

Apparently the cute girls don't like it either, especially since it seemed to give them the justification to start a bar fight.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I liked it. I'm kind of a sucker for cute girl shows. One thing that bugged me and it's something that is particular to me is I always hate when a character is hungry and really looking forward to eating something and then doesn't get to eat whatever it is he/she was looking forward to eating. Yeah, I know. It's a thing.
Arrgh, that irks me to no end too. I don't know why, it's like denying food to a character in animation is supposed to be funny, it's not. Having your food taken away from you when you're hungry is never funny.

What was funny was when that tiny fairy gobbled up several loaves of bread that were bigger than her and was still hungry Laughing
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Really boring episode for me. I slept through half of it and may end up dropping. I guess this anime isn't just my type of thing but some of the characters' designs are kinda cute I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
saw this ep & well yea

blue - give water power give wonder where her brother is at?

red - give bit fire person also woman's supporter.

yellow - big strength with a big axe

give normal doing til here come syrup fairy who searching for help to defeat dark meteor people cue meet blue then enter village which lead big brawl in a maid dragon-cafe?!

& oops damage the 3 dragon proper meet with syrup fairy.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed it. Both this and Muromi-san will be great little comedy breaks this season
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Same as Stark700; this one isn't for me.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:06 am Reply with quote
I'm sure it got the balance right for some of the audience, but I kept feeling like the moe and action elements were getting in each other's way, which made it difficult for me to get all the way through the episode. It doesn't seem very likely that its entire approach will suddenly change, so the best thing for me to do is just leave it be for now with the possibility of giving it another chance in the event I notice some intriguing discussion about it after a while.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
So Syrop either has a ridiculous hyperactive metabolism, or she has a black hole where her stomach should be.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Based on the animation of things entering her mouth, it's the latter.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
It may be a slow Fantasy show about girls in cute costumes doing not very much, but at least Zettai Bōei Leviathan isn't on the same level as Shining Hearts -Shiwase no Pan-. Amazingly, this show has - gasp - a plot, which I can barely bring myself to believe. And the characters actually do something. There's even a cliffhanger.

I'll still probably drop this after episode three but it isn't as bad as I first feared.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

It focused so much on Bahamut that I could not help but feel left out on Jörmungandr . Of the episode I liked how sickened Syrop was by Bahamut and her father, actually I am not sure I quite like Syrop's character but I still find part like her smartass nature funny. I hope that we get to the guts of the show in episode 3. It was a little slow pace here.

And there was Jörmungandr's idea for helping Bahamut, that was lol worthy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5