• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tales of Xillia's English Trailer, More Character Promos Streamed

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRWii

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
The voice acting sounds pretty weak/disappointing so far. Milla in particular sounds flat.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
The voice acting sounds pretty weak/disappointing so far. Milla in particular sounds flat.

its a JRPG dub... would you expect anything else but bad? I really wish that Namco would get with the times with the Tales series and offer dual audio.. I really don't want to play a Xillia without Miyuki Sawashiro as Millia. she's perfect for the role.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:23 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

its a JRPG dub... would you expect anything else but bad?

Xenoblade says otherwise.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

I tried that one in a dub for like a half an hour before I got sick of bad English accents screaming "ITS RHEIN TIME!" or whatever and switched it to Japanese for good.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Tales games = bad dub = does not compute.

I didn't know anything that wasn't in Japanese was considered "bad." I guess our own voices too are just as bad because we're not Japanese. Rolling Eyes
DRWii

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:32 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Not all dubs are bad; most are at least okay. Looking at my own collection, I'd say "FF XIII" is where I'd set the "okay" bar; it's not great and could certainly be better, but it's at least serviceable, especially once you get used to it. And so far, "Xillia" doesn't sound that good.
N.R.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:32 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
DRWii wrote:

its a JRPG dub... would you expect anything else but bad? I really wish that Namco would get with the times with the Tales series and offer dual audio.. I really don't want to play a Xillia without Miyuki Sawashiro as Millia. she's perfect for the role.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Pretty much every JRPG dub I've played this past console generation had a decent or great dub (Atelier Rorona and FF XIII in particular were really great). Xillia's dub, at least according to these trailers, is truly monotonous.
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

I tried that one in a dub for like a half an hour before I got sick of bad English accents screaming "ITS RHEIN TIME!" or whatever and switched it to Japanese for good.

You do realize that the dub was actually made in the UK, right? Also, the monotonous battle voices are not really the best thing in evaluating the quality of a game dub as the simple fact that you have to hear them so many damn times will automatically sour them in your mind. Cutscenes are what make a dub good or bad and Xenoblade's wasn't bad. I wouldn't put it on par with Final Fantasy XII's, but there are much worse.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
DRWii: It's not just you - I felt that Jude and Milla's voices as featured in that trailer didn't really fit with either character's image. I haven't heard the JP voices for either, but I've generally enjoyed the dubs from Symphonia onward and this is easily the weakest offering I've heard.

It's not that they're bad voices, but they don't really convey a proper sense of character. Milla's delivery feels flat, and I don't think that can be accounted for just by considering her character background. Jude is 15 years old, but the voice samples make him sound over 30. Not that I'm saying he ought to played by a teenager, but the aural disconnect hit me with this one. It's not the VA himself (Sam Riegel, whose VA record is pretty solid), it just feels like a miscasting.

I'm curious to hear the rest of the cast now. Hopefully their voices will bring more personality to the group.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Well the director himself thinks otherwise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAdQ2_KW7ko

And personally, that's all that matters.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind the dub at all, but the real blame goes BandaiNamco for really trying to diminish JRPG and Atlus too for making imprudent decisions like worry about negative issues surrounds on reverse importation and still have exclusive titles to Sony. If they didn't have to think about the negative or just think on gaining ground in the US.

Everything would be great on their part, I am still pissed and angry that they have messed up Soul Calibur franchise that damn bad it's not even funny they don't deserve a damn thing on my money and they're are getting close to the same route as Capcom and Square Enix might as to get off the plane before it crashes hard.

Last edited by BlackJaded on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
TopGunman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:57 pm Reply with quote
EW!! THE DUB IS AWFUL!! IT DOESN'T SOUND LIKE THE JAPANESE VERSION!! WAAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Dub-haters, what a bunch of whiners!
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
EW!! THE DUB IS AWFUL!! IT DOESN'T SOUND LIKE THE JAPANESE VERSION!! WAAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Dub-haters, what a bunch of whiners!

Your gonna have a pack of haters following you everyday and night. I don't mind the dub but I'm disappointed with BandaiNamco as company.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Nothing beats Symphonia's dub in my opinion. That game had one of the best voice casts I've ever come across, and it's a shame the mediocre non-canon sequel ruined things.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Since Play Asia has this on sale, decided to bite and get the Japanese version.

So far, the dub's been... "Eh", but it's no where near Eternia bad, and honestly? That's good enough for me. Plus, we're actually getting the theme song intact.

Regardless, I think I'll double dip this time around and actually purchase both English and Japanese versions, given we're getting a LE edition.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5