• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Neon Alley Previews Accel World Dub in Video

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Hm, Erik sounds like Spike Spencer a bit...

Last edited by Asrialys on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote
definitely liked what I heard
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
More like Spike Spencer crossed with Johnny Yong Bosch.
Since it isn't far away and I haven't seen the show, I might as well just wait for the dub. Any objections?
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:01 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
I could believe that voice was Spike's, maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it. Though if it wasn't, it should have been. The man needs more shows to his name. I'd, of course, prefer it if he still did regular work for Section23 but, like Vic & Jason Douglas, it seems that such is not to be. You know that sucks.

How'd this Sarah Williams person land major (per ANN) roles in 2 recently announced major Viz dubs? I find it curious, that out of all the huge body of actors they have in CA for anime that they decided to put the same person in 2 different roles, in 2 different shows, that will "air" concurrently.

I thought that this sounded much better than the SAO preview. Checking ANN's encyclopedia, Kristi Reed directs this opus, furthering my theory that she's the most competent director Bang/Zoom has.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
How'd this Sarah Williams person land major (per ANN) roles in 2 recently announced major Viz dubs? I find it curious, that out of all the huge body of actors they have in CA for anime that they decided to put the same person in 2 different roles, in 2 different shows, that will "air" concurrently.

She's friends with Cristina Vee, that's why. Same reason why Christine Cabanos and Cassandra Lee have been popping up everywhere recently.

Echo_City wrote:
I thought that this sounded much better than the SAO preview. Checking ANN's encyclopedia, Kristi Reed directs this opus, furthering my theory that she's the most competent director Bang/Zoom has.

And yet..... She directed the Higurashi and Vampire Knight dubs.

......Yeah. Confused
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:41 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

She's friends with Cristina Vee, that's why. Same reason why Christine Cabanos and Cassandra Lee have been popping up everywhere recently.

Echo_City wrote:

And yet..... She directed the Higurashi and Vampire Knight dubs.

......Yeah. Confused
Christina Vee has "star power"? Somehow I just don't see that (she's not one of my favorites over @ B/Z), but I can believe that there's some, ah, outside influence on those castings you mention as Cabanos, to pick one, sounds the same in every show in which I've heard her. I'm not saying that it's a "hey, I recognize that voice" sort of deal, I'm saying that if her lines as Madoka were overdubbed into K-On it wouldn't sound out of character, and I don't believe that those 2 characters were meant to be played, well, identically.

I'll try to refrain from saying anything about those 2 dubs that you mention, except that one has Spike Spencer, but I can say that Reed's Persona 4 was worlds above anything else I've heard from Bang/Zoom in years and her K-On blew Tony Oliver's K-On away. I believe that they could do us all a service by having her in the director's chair more often.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:39 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
her K-On blew Tony Oliver's K-On away
Both Seasons were directed by Oliver. She just did some scriptwriting for Season 2. And for the record, I considered the dub for Season 2 to be the worst thing I've ever heard come out of Bang Zoom. Season 1 was shaky as it was, but the dub Season 2 made the show as a whole become significantly less enjoyable

I still really liked Oliver's Gankutsuo and Gurren Lagann dubs so I have high hopes for him in the director's chair for Fate/Zero (Well, higher than my hopes for the K-On movie at least). I haven't heard the dub for Persona 4 but I've heard good things.

And since we're on the topic of Bang Zoom directors, my favourite would be Alex Von David because of his work on Haruhi and Lucky Star
Aara123

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:53 pm Reply with quote
So I guess it's safe to say Neon Alley has been fairly successful? They keep getting all these high-profile series on their stream, and that makes me very glad. I hope they can continue this service for a long time.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Aara123 wrote:
So I guess it's safe to say Neon Alley has been fairly successful? They keep getting all these high-profile series on their stream, and that makes me very glad. I hope they can continue this service for a long time.

That's safe to say I think. Viz said they would only expand if the PS3 one did well and now it's on 360. The facebook page also has over 200k likes. So hopefully a good amount of those people are actually subscribers.
falori

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

That's not really the reason. They are friends yeah, but the reason they show up more in stuff is because these companies are trying to give new voice actors a chance.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:52 am Reply with quote
falori wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

That's not really the reason. They are friends yeah, but the reason they show up more in stuff is because these companies are trying to give new voice actors a chance.

And because they're cheap. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1