• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Suzuki: 'Next Ghibli Film to Be Released Next Summer'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:13 am Reply with quote
Whatever it is, I'll look forward to it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arsenette

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:43 am Reply with quote
Either I missed something.. or.. did they mention who's directing Suzuki? Because it isn't Hayao Miyazaki. Either way I'd love to see it. Few Ghibli films disappoint (operative on few.. there were some misses notably recently) so I'm looking forward to the next movie.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:17 am Reply with quote
So Ghibli be releasing a film a year?
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:14 am Reply with quote
Arsenette wrote:
Either I missed something.. or.. did they mention who's directing Suzuki? Because it isn't Hayao Miyazaki. Either way I'd love to see it. Few Ghibli films disappoint (operative on few.. there were some misses notably recently) so I'm looking forward to the next movie.

All they said was "there's a new film being produced that's scheduled to be released next summer" end. That's it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:34 am Reply with quote
This is like Sir Alex Ferguson, saying he's retiring from managing Manchester United. He's just moved upstairs and has Moyes as his glove puppet. I imagine Goro will be Hayao's. Laughing
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:55 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
This is like Sir Alex Ferguson, saying he's retiring from managing Manchester United. He's just moved upstairs and has Moyes as his glove puppet. I imagine Goro will be Hayao's. Laughing

I only hope Studio Ghibli will maintain their position of strength in this transition, which Man U does not seem to have as evident by the transfer window debacle.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:10 am Reply with quote
Arsenette wrote:

Well, it could be either Goro Miyazaki or Yonebayashi again. They could pick yet another new guy, but I'd like to see these guys develop.

Mohawk52 wrote:

Haha. Although Goro doesn't have the animation skill to do EXACTLY what Hayao wants, plus Goro has publically complained about his dad's dictatorial ways as an animator. Yonebayashi seems more like Hayao's current golden child.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:37 am Reply with quote
So he really is retiring, well I hope he can find his 'rest' enjoyable!

I'll be looking forward to seeing the wind rises (as well as finishing the rest of his films) and he next movie that comes out next summer.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:55 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

While they don't have absolute disdain for each other, him and his son don't exactly get along that well, so I don't see his son following his father in any way except trying to make his own footprint in the same company.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:24 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

While they don't have absolute disdain for each other, him and his son don't exactly get along that well, so I don't see his son following his father in any way except trying to make his own footprint in the same company.
Yeah that may be true, but you can bet the house that if Ghibli starts taking on water in a storm, he'll be taking back the horn barking orders again. That's if his health keeps up and seeing as he still smokes like coal burning powerstation, that might not happen after all. Laughing
bravetailor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:59 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Juno016 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Yeah that may be true, but you can bet the house that if Ghibli starts taking on water in a storm, he'll be taking back the horn barking orders again. That's if his health keeps up and seeing as he still smokes like coal burning powerstation, that might not happen after all. Laughing

Although Miyazaki brushed it off yesterday, I am concerned about his health. He really DOES look rather small these days, so I'm not sure I believe him when he says he's "fine".

The real test will be when Ghibli does a film directed by a new guy with no input from Big Daddy whatsoever. From a quality standpoint, getting a good screenwriter shouldn't be hard, and Miyazaki's own screenplays aren't always exactly airtight themselves, but the challenge is to get enough butts into seats when his name isn't attached to a project.
dan9999

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote
And here my biggest worry is that Ghibli may fully adopt digital only animation, Miyazaki is the reason his movies and thus ghibli's were still done in traditional animation fashion (minus some 2000s ones that were a fusion of both animation styles).

I will be sad if Ghibli goes fully digital for the sake of speed and easiness, it wont be Ghibli anymore when and if that happens.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
And here my biggest worry is that Ghibli may fully adopt digital only animation, Miyazaki is the reason his movies and thus ghibli's were still done in traditional animation fashion (minus some 2000s ones that were a fusion of both animation styles).

I will be sad if Ghibli goes fully digital for the sake of speed and easiness, it wont be Ghibli anymore when and if that happens.

What are you talking about? They've been using digital ink for over a decade now, they're definitely not hand-inking cels and photographing them. By "fully digital", I can only guess you mean people drawing on tablets instead of paper and making scenes only using digital composition methods. That happens, like for some scenes in Birdy Decode, but having animators draw on paper to be scanned in and colored digitally is how most anime (TV, OVA and film) are still produced, from cheap-ass hentai to Ghibli.

Were you somehow under the impression they were still fully implementing analog production methods? What people mean by hand-drawn is "no CG elements", not that computers aren't involved in the process.
RGaspar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Knowing his love for planes, I wouldn't be surprised if he started developing hand-made aircrafts and the like Razz
bravetailor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:41 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Were you somehow under the impression they were still fully implementing analog production methods? What people mean by hand-drawn is "no CG elements", not that computers aren't involved in the process.

Miyazaki abandoned CG elements after Howl's, but their CG utilization from Mononoke to Howl's certainly wasn't bad, if they decide to start using them again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2