• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Future Diary Complete Series DVD

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpg13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
An accurate review.
Bottom line, the show is a lot of fun.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I found the show got a tad better in the last four or five episodes but yeah Future Diary has a great premise but the poor execution doesn't help it at the end of the day. The english dub is competent enough but its hardly noteworthy at all I find this to the case any time Zach Bolton directs a dub his directing never quite hits the mark like that of his peers Mike Mcfarland or Colleen Clinkenbeard.(Who's directing efforts on the Guilty Crown dub are remarkable)
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
so it's a glorious trainwreck that is bad, but not boring. Sounds about right.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen the show, but I'd say the review makes it sound more like something that would be literally disgusting or annoying to watch, rather than amusing. Based on the specific descriptions and criticisms made, which I assume to be accurate, I don't think much entertainment value would result in my case.

There's plenty of crazy, tasteless or just plain stupid shows that I'd be willing to recommend to people based on a number of factors that make them attractive, interesting or entertaining, depending on the circumstances involved, but as things currently stand even my own individual interest in ever watching Future Diary is getting close to zero.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I am happy this show exist solely for the abriged series bellow which is one of the funiest ones in recent years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPRhlFFIvns
StormSky92

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I completely disagree and thought this series was really great. But, since this is the internet and I know how it works, I won't explain my reasoning, as i'll only get flamed and raged at.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote
StormSky92 wrote:
I completely disagree and thought this series was really great. But, since this is the internet and I know how it works, I won't explain my reasoning, as i'll only get flamed and raged at.

Very clever way to preemptively stop anyone from criticizing your opinion. A+
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Given the tenor of the review, I'm surprised that it comes up with mostly C grades. But whatever, scores are a dumb contrivance.

Future Diary sounds really adolescent. There's a time one's life when it's easy to blend oblivious ego, a deep desire to assert one's own grasp of the world, severely overwrought emotions and a profound, secretly fearful ignorance of how anything, especially people, really work. If an author fails to outgrow that or indulge it, then the result is stories where everything is bleak, evil and hateful, but the reasons why don't make much sense, if there are reasons at all. There are no real depths to explore, but the story digs a hole deep down a narrow shaft anyway. Adolescence exaggerates things far over the top, but can also make them so miserably, yet lazily, nihilistic or mean-spirited that they aren't fun the way that they could be.

I liked the critique of the English dub and the argument for interpretative adaptation that makes along the way. It makes a more convincing and useful argument against the English version than generic adjective strings that anime reviews sometimes fall back on when describing them. (Not that I can blame anybody much for that; writing about things that are highly subjective and not quantifiable is hard)

The dumb thing is, though, that I could half-imagine myself watching this. As awful and joyless as it sounds, the kind of simple, absolute surety about the nature of things that you can indulge in with stuff like this can encourage compulsive indulgence. There's also the morbid fascination with just how far it will go. I suspect that I could watch this at least halfway through without much trouble, but wouldn't feel so pleased with myself for doing so afterward.

They actually named the deity Deus ex Machina? Oy vey.

StormSky92 wrote:

If this post is representative of the quality of your, "reasoning," then you'd've deserved worse than you predict, although without the need to impute attitudes onto others to preserve my own ego, I can't agree that it would actually happen.

Seriously, get over yourself and spare us your presence if you can't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
animemaster1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I also must say that I completely disagree with this review, especially with giving the story a D+ or whatever. The show is a masterpiece. The review is shit. I have seen almost all there is to see of what is good in the realm of anime, and I know what I am talking about. The show was engaging, full of emotion, and went down paths that we rarely see other animes go down, but always hope they do. To say that the show is "Stupid, ugly, tone-deaf, pointlessly vile and misanthropic, but above all lame and immature" is in itself very, very, very immature and uninformed - it's fine to have an opinion, but this is just plain wrong. The reviewer is basically shitting on a masterpiece, and that pisses me off.

EDIT: Oh, and as a side note, it always seems that the reviewers I have never heard of/never seen write reviews before are the ones who give these shitty reviews and scores for shows on this website...starting to see some patterns....
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
animemaster1 wrote:
I also must say that I completely disagree with this review, especially with giving the story a D+ or whatever. The show is a masterpiece. The review is shit. I have seen almost all there is to see of what is good in the realm of anime, and I know what I am talking about. The show was engaging, full of emotion, and went down paths that we rarely see other animes go down, but always hope they do. To say that the show is "Stupid, ugly, tone-deaf, pointlessly vile and misanthropic, but above all lame and immature" is in itself very, very, very immature and uninformed - it's fine to have an opinion, but this is just plain wrong. The reviewer is basically shitting on a masterpiece, and that pisses me off.

EDIT: Oh, and as a side note, it always seems that the reviewers I have never heard of/never seen write reviews before are the ones who give these shitty reviews and scores for shows on this website...starting to see some patterns....

A 'Masterpiece'? You're honestly prepared to place this show amongst the likes of 'Cowboy Bebop' or 'Paranoia Agent'? Surely you must realize that conflating this exploitative piece of garbage with high art is ridiculous. The characters aren't relatable; the plot is ludicrous; and the story is lacking in any sort of theme(s) that ring true to life. And let's not even go into the production errors...
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:49 pm Reply with quote
animemaster1 wrote:
It's fine to have an opinion, but this is just plain wrong.

"It's fine to have an opinion when I don't disagree with that opinion." -- animemaster1

Quote:
The show was engaging, full of emotion, and went down paths that we rarely see other animes go down, but always hope they do.

Such as spoiler[the emotional and engaging multiple rape scenes, both of which imply that taking a woman's "purity" is an irreversible horror akin to having killed her, automatically destroying her previously angelic soul. The rape will either make her pure evil to the extent that she sics her gang-rapists on other women (ep. 5) or go from being a demure flower to a foul-mouthed horndog overnight. (ep. 17)] The emotional honesty and revealing commentary of Future Diary!
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:05 pm Reply with quote
StormSky92 wrote:

I know others have responded to this, but this just bugs me. I figured that the bigger person would just go ahead and explain their reasoning's in spite of whether or not others flamed you, hell if you were really sure of yourself, you could have a rebuttal to whatever flack you got no problem without coming off like an ass. I know people can be asses on the web, but really, if you were worried about being flamed, what was the point of posting here?

As far as the show itself, I've only seen a few episodes, but since I'm one of those people who can't usually take seeing too much gore in one sitting I ultimately stopped watching regardless of what I felt about the series before hand. I had assumed I'd watch it later when I'd grown enough to get over that mental weakness, but if this review is right then I wonder if there would be a point to seeing it after maturing. Well at the very least I know to just stream it.
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I agree with this review. I always found it grating, personally, how much the show hinges on you feeling sympathy for Yuno when I could not garner a single damn for the woman.

A tiny bright spot I thought was cute as person who took a ton of classics courses: all the characters participating in the death game have names that are references to the 12 gods of the Roman pantheon.
Sneakybeagle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I have to disagree with the review. as well as far as dub goes I'll agree it threw me off after having watched it subbed as it aired however I found the support roles sounded well com paired to yuno and yuki. however I loved this series from start to finish its clearly not a series the reviewer enjoyed but it seemed to harsh. I recommend anyone watch it subbed if violence and dispicable acts went your thing that's understandable.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Quote:
The show was engaging, full of emotion, and went down paths that we rarely see other animes go down, but always hope they do.

Such as spoiler[the emotional and engaging multiple rape scenes, both of which imply that taking a woman's "purity" is an irreversible horror akin to having killed her, ]

Without disagreeing with the rest of the post, but "purity" is irreversible, unless you know something we don't, though some people do treat it worse than murder.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11