• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:10 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Like I say, with the holiday sales less than a month away, it really doesn't make much sense to order anything until you see what's being offered then.

Yeah, that's what deepdiscount's thinking which is why they keep sending me coupons during their anime sales in September and October. All of Section23 and discotec titles at around 60% off rather than just select titles? I'm not made of stone...

I'd rather pay more for a title I want now than purchase blind buys for a song or wait to see if I can get a lesser title on a price drop; Most of my "yet to watch" animes are sets from Rightstuf's holiday sales, which is practically identical to my "why did I buy this?" list. Sure, they're OOP ADV series but they're "out of print" yet still amassed in large quantities for a reason.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I have fallen prey to the "wow, this is so cheap, I must have it!" syndrome. However, that's not what I'm talking about here. What I'm talking about is why get that Funi or Sentai or whatever title for 40% + 10% GA off now when that exact same title might be available for 60% off in a few weeks?

It goes without saying that buying a title that you won't actually watch is no bargain at all regardless of how little you pay for it.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:42 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Personally, speaking as an elite cheapo, bargain hunter, I think anyone would be insane to buy anything from TRSI until they roll out their Black Friday/Cyber Monday/13 Days of Christmas sale. Sure, there's a chance the specific titles you are looking for won't be covered, but there will be another Discotek sale in the future, anyway, so you won't be losing out on 40% off, plus 10% GA discount. At worst, you'd simply be waiting longer than you may have wanted to.

THIS.

I was very tempted to order stuff during Rightstuf's Viz sale, but then I realized that they'll have another one in the future. What I'm really hoping for is that they'll include the chipboard boxes for Irresponsible Captain Tylor in one of their sales prior to Christmas.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote
We're hoping for the Sengoku Basara movie to make it into the sales. My roommate got the 2 box sets on a FUNi sale last year, but hasn't gotten the movie yet.

I don't even have anything else lined up to buy off TSRI, since I'm caught up in preordering all my manga.
supercreep

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
I'm really wanting the Madoka Magica complete Blu-ray set that is coming out in Japan this December. Box looks lovely and will look even better next to my movie set. Trying to sell my domestic Aniplex boxes. Won't need them anymore.

Box looks great but it doesn't seem to have English subtitles. I was looking forward to a nice collection. Oh well.
Wooga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Hey peeps, has anyone seen this anime called Babel II? It seems to be one of those series that are a nostalgic remake of an older anime/show that was never translated, kind of like the Kikaider, Cyborg 009, Tetsujin 28 series. I believe Mike Toole did an article on this phenomenon but didn't cover Babel II.
(edit: there was also a passing reference/parody of it in the Short Cuts manga which is where it first caught my attention)

There seems to be 2 english releases, this older OVA that has an art style similar to Saint Seiya, the second movie in particular. Then theres this more recent one with a Giant-robo -ish art style.

I've never heard anyone talk about them. Are they worth looking into? For what it's worth, I really liked the Kikaider anime...

Last edited by Wooga on Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I own the Babel II TV series (which is in fact a remake of an earlier incarnation) but I haven't watched it yet. So I'd be curious as to what those who have think about it, too. And I didn't even know there was a Babel II OVA collection out there.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if it was TV/OAV/whatever, but it was on Netflix or something and I started watching it. It was weird and made no sense to me, so I didn't get very far.
Wooga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, guess it's not worth looking into then. Makes sense for a show nobody ever seems to talk about
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:06 am Reply with quote
I am wondering if I should buy a PS3
so many games coming out like aquapazza

I dont need a ps4 but since its coming soon maybe I should wait and see how the market changes.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:10 am Reply with quote
I'm probably going to be getting a PS3 myself. There's plenty of RPGs on it, things I want to play like Sly 4 and God of War 3, I can use it as a blu-ray player, and there's a healthy number of classic PSone titles I can get (like Klonoa, which I already own both the PS1 and Wii version, but will totally buy it again, or Psychonauts, of which I can get a more playable version (the PS2 version was kind of suck on some parts) for a mere $5, not to mention RPGs and stuff, and Monkey Island). I actually already have 4 PS3 games, even though I don't have the system (they were quite cheap, I assure you, since the console generation is ending, a lot of them are going down in price, so I got them for maybe $5 a pop).
Also, the PS2 had games coming out for a while after the PS3 came out (like the Persona series for one), so I expect its life isn't about to end just because it's holiday season 2013.

But I am going to wait to see if the PS4 causes a price drop to the PS3, much as the PS3 did to the PS2. Sony claims they won't, but.... either way, I'm fairly certain I'm getting one, I'm almost shocked I don't have one now (oh wait, Pokemon came out so I had to get a 3DS first. I must say, I've far more download games than I ever thought I would.... but Pushmo is great for office waits)
ajr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:04 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm also looking at PS3 prices, though I'll probably get one used. Mostly in it for the bluray player, although there are plenty of games I'd like to play too.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I always wanted a Fake Passport Spanish. I'm considering buying one from that kannymary guy. Sounds legit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
I'm really wanting the Madoka Magica complete Blu-ray set that is coming out in Japan this December. Box looks lovely and will look even better next to my movie set. Trying to sell my domestic Aniplex boxes. Won't need them anymore.

Box looks great but it doesn't seem to have English subtitles. I was looking forward to a nice collection. Oh well.

I was a little bummed. Looks like they are just repressing the original discs. I don't mind an import in Japanese as long as I've read through a transaction once or twice. My Japanese isn't amazing but I can make my way through it if I have an idea of the story. And the price too, its killer because I sold my sets for essentially the same cost.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:30 am Reply with quote
I was in theory supposed to do this in September as the last time was in February, but I wasn’t quite in the right state of mind for it back then. I should probably just wait until February or January to just make it annual, but the mood has struck me. Nevertheless, I think that enough has changed to justify an ‘audit’ of my list.

As before, this is a list of anime and manga that I am interested in buying. It is organized by priority score. Each item is assigned a score from 1-3, then modifiers are applied that raise or lower the score. The score of an anime is increased if I have a particular desire for it, if it seems likely that it will soon become too scarce or if the release is somehow exceptional. Manga gets those bonuses and one for being ten or fewer volumes long. The scores of anime are lowered if I have already seen it. The scores of both anime and manga can be lowered by many volumes being prohibitively expensive or impossible to obtain.

I’ve added a new way to deal with titles that I want, but will probably never be able to buy without rather a lot of trouble. If something is especially hard to complete, it will be listed as, “Probationary,” at the priority level it would have had without modifications for availability. Just as this entire list is just my own nonsensical, needlessly baroque corruption of willag’s idea, the probationary category is my own stodgy, excessively complicated version of, “Hah-hah, sucker!’ Regardless, it should be less confusing than in the past, when something like Basara, which I really want, would end up at a low priority level because so many volumes are a pain to get.

The priority levels supposedly reflect the order I would buy things in a sort of neutral state without sales, moods or other things affecting my choice. In practice, I don’t follow it too closely, but it does provide guidance from time to time. I should probably reconsider my methodology, but I'm already pretty deeply committed to this one and I'm tired too. Geez, I hope I can stay awake until Soul Eater ends.

Things that have not been released (i.e. Psycho-Pass) are listed, but obvious cannot be bought until it is possible to buy an English release. I also list a few items that I have ordered it, but have not yet shipped. (i.e. Whispered Words) Titles that I already own that were once listed are in grey after the still active titles according to their original scores. Manga titles that I am buying, but that I do not own all of or are in ongoing release are listed separately.

I am very open to suggestion or comment, especially regarding manga.

If you read that, you’re probably unwell and should go lie down. More sensible people may proceed to review the list, even though they’ll be confused.

ANIME

Priority Score 5
Cowboy Bebop
Rose of Versailles
Kino's Journey
Princess Tutu
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Movie
The Time Stranger
Twelve Kingdoms

Priority Score 4
Attack on Titan
Baccano!
Emma: A Victorian Romance, 2nd Act
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Spice & Wolf
Spice & Wolf 2
Wolf’s Rain
A.D. Police Files
Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad
Birdy the Mighty: Decode
Gilgamesh
Haibane Renmei
Key the Metal Idol
Le Chevalier D'Eon
Lupin III ~The Woman Called Fujiko Mine~
Madlax
Mawaru Penguindrum
Memories
Michiko e Hatchin
Paprika
Serial Experiments Lain
Tokyo Godfathers

Priority Score 3
Battle Athletes
Battle Athletes Victory
Devil Lady
Emma: A Victorian Romance
Giant Robo
Macross Plus
Mushishi
Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail
Bodacious Space Pirates
Children Who Chase Lost Voices
Eden of the East
El Cazador de la Bruja
Flag
Galaxy Express 999
Kids on the Slope
Kurogane Communications
Mad Bull 34
Magic Knight Rayearth II
Magic Knight Rayearth
Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion
Martian Successor Nadesico
Millenium Actress
Planetes
Project A-ko
Simoun
Sweet Blue Flowers
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Tweeny Witches

Priority Score 2
Akira
All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku
Blue Seed
Claymore
Gunslinger Girl
Koi Kaze
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
Outlaw Star
Please Save My Earth
Princess Nine
The Big O
The Big O II
RahXephon
Samurai Pizza Cats
The Vision of Escaflowne
8 Man After
Adieu, Galaxy Express 999
Banner of the Stars
Banner of the Stars II
Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage
Book of Bantorra
Bubblegum Crisis
Bubblegum Crisis 2040
CANAAN
Crest of the Stars
Detroit Metal City
Ergo Proxy
Fantastic Children
Figure 17
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society
Heat Guy J
Locke the Superman
Mezzo Forte
My-HiME
My-Otome
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
Parasite Dolls
Patlabor: The Mobile Police (OAV 1/1988)
Scrapped Princess
Shiki
Silent Möbius
Silent Möbius the Movie
Silent Möbius the Movie 2
The Irresonpsible Captain Taylor (OAV)
The Irresonpsible Captain Taylor (TV)
The Sky Crawlers
Video Girl Ai
Yugo the Negotiatior

Priority Score 1
3 x 3 Eyes
5 Centimenters Per Second
All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku DASH
All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku TV
Berserk
Black Magic M-66
Bubblegum Crisis (Kickstarter Blu-ray)
FLCL
Gall Force: Destruction
Gall Force: Earth Chapter
Gall Force: New Era
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd GIG
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Hellsing Ultimate
Project A-ko FINAL
Rhea Gall Force
Shadow Star Narutaru
The Place Promised in Our Early Days
Trigun
Welcome to the NHK
Gall Force: Stardust War
Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~
House of Five Leaves
MazinKaizer SKL
Shamanic Princess
Texhnolyze
This Boy Can Fight Aliens
This Boy Caught a Merman

Priority Score 0
Animation Runner Kuromi
Animation Runner Kuromi 2
Gunslinger Girl Il Teatreano
Lupin III (First Season)
Project A-ko Cinderella Rhapsody
Project A-ko: Plot of the Daitokuji Financial Group
Roujin Z
Zipang
A.D. Police
Bubblegum Crash
Twin Signal

Probationary Score 4
You're Under Arrest (OAV + TV)
Story of Saiunkoku

Probationary Score 3
Dominion Tank Police
Paranoia Agent

Probationary Score 2
Azumanga Daioh
Gunbuster
Perfect Blue
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Blu-ray)
Stellvia

Probationary Score 1
Galaxy Angel A
Galaxy Angel S
Galaxy Angel
Galaxy Angel Z
Galaxy Angel X

Manga

Ongoing Series
A Bride's Story
Black Lagoon
Attack on Titan
Claymore
Dorohedoro
Flowers of Evil
In These Words
Ōoku: The Inner Chambers
Vinland Saga
Wandering Son

Priority Score 6
Twin Spica

Priority Score 5
Heart of Thomas
Watamote
Whisphered Words
7 Billion Needles
Alien Nine
Book of Human Insects
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Pluto
Sexy Voice and Robo
Solanin
Tropic of the Sea

Priority Score 4
In the clothes named fat
Insufficient Direction
Lucifer & Biscuit Hammer
Pink
Rica 'tte Kanji
Andromeda Stories
Anything and Something
Appleseed
Ayako
Domion Tank Police
Lychee Light Club
Princess Mermaid
Paradise Kiss
Sister Red

Priority Score 3
Flowers & Bees
Mai the Psychic Girl
MW
Onward Toward Our Noble Deaths
Read or Die
Read or Dream
What Did You Eat Yesterday
Wolfsmund
20th Century Boys
21st Century Boys
A Drunken Dream and Other Stories
Black Magic
Domion: Conflict 1 [No More Noise]
Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell 1.5
Ghost in the Shell 2.0
Gunsmith Cats
Gunsmith Cats Burst
Hansel & Gretel
Hellsing
Jormungand
Kisses, Sighs, and Cherry Blossoms Pink
Limit
Magic Knight Rayearth
Magic Knight Rayearth II
Orion
Parasyte
Sakuran
Toward the Terra
Velveteen & Mandala

Priority Score 2
Akira
Alien Nine: Emulators
Codename Sailor V
Me and the Devil Blues
Please Save My Earth
Sailor Moon
Quest for the Missing Girl
Amefurashi
Chicago
Crimson-Shell
Girl Friends
No Longer Human
Reiko: The Zombie Shop
Venus Versus Virus
Voiceful

Priority Score 1
Cheeky Angel
Excel Saga
SaiKano

Priority Score 0
Hayate X Blade

Probationary Score 4
Basara
Barefoot Gen
Domu
Emma
With the Light

Probationary Score 3
Battle Angel Alita
Monster
Please Save My Earth
Silent Möbius

Probationary Score 3
Caravan Kidd
Tomie

I appreciate your patience, attention and indulgence. I'll see you again in some arbitrary period between six and twelve months hence. Or maybe not. I'M MYSTERIOUS! Well, maybe I just have mood swings.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 104 of 132