• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: USA Today Booklist, April 9-15: Fruits Basket Sets New Record

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miji

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:51 am Reply with quote
Top 20 Shocked ! That's pretty awesome, imo!
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Fruits Basket ROCKS!! Cool

I'm glad, this volume really deserves it. It will be VERY interesting to see what vol. 17 goes to. #17 is THE volume to read, according to what I understand.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

I'm glad, this volume really deserves it. It will be VERY interesting to see what vol. 17 goes to. #17 is THE volume to read, according to what I understand.

HELLZ YEAH!! Anime hyper I almost jumped off my chair when I read this article! Huzzahs for furuba (not just for making the cut, but for setting a new record for any manga ever listed on there)! And as for the next volume, same here, Lydia! Just from the preview of 'what's next' at the end of vol. 16 you can tell how important it's gonna be! (please no spoilers if ya got 'em) I'm so excited! Anime catgrin

Incidently, I was watching/listening to a furuba AMV right when I went to check out the news. So if anybody wants to see the video (it's really good): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6gNGnxRPDY#QDF3RKvwodI <--no spoilers as long as you've seen all of the anime (obviously).
supercait86

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
#15!Shocked

I contributed to those sales Wink

I haven't read it yet though, and from what you've said I'm really excited!

Each time a new record is reached it just amazes me. I can't wait to see how far it goes. It might be helpful if stores held the book until the official release date. It would also be interesting if Tokyopop were willing to make a bigger deal out of the release date.
Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:57 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

I'm glad, this volume really deserves it.

Go Fruits Basket! Very Happy

Yes, it was a very good volume in many ways. spoiler[My favorite scene: Yuki/Hatori. I was so happy for both of them - it was a long time in coming, and beautifully done when it finally happened. Of all the people responsible for Yuki's childhood either by action or inaction, I think Hatori deserved forgiveness the most - certainly more than our resident psycho Akito. I don't think anyone could have punished him for it more than he already did himself.

Mixed feelings about the coda with Momiji. Tohru is NEVER going to forgive herself if Akito finds out and does something terrible to him...]
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:01 pm Reply with quote
miji wrote:
Top 20 8O ! That's pretty awesome, imo!

That's great to see. Given their success with Fruits Basket, I'm sure that TokyoPop is dreading the day that they publish the last volume. That's probably the biggest reason why they're dragging the series out with five (or so) months between books. ;_;

Quarterly releases are bad enough, and TP's rate of release doesn't exactly encourage me to buy into any new series of theirs...
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
That's great to see. Given their success with Fruits Basket, I'm sure that TokyoPop is dreading the day that they publish the last volume. That's probably the biggest reason why they're dragging the series out with five (or so) months between books. Anime cry

Quarterly releases are bad enough, and TP's rate of release doesn't exactly encourage me to buy into any new series of theirs...

I'm sure they are, but as they say, "All good things must come to an end." And while I'm in no hurry to find out the ending of furuba (earlier than it's released, that is) I'm eagerly awaiting the newest volume.

As for the quarterly release shedule, I can understand it both ways; for one, the best-selling series for TP will last longer with the longer gaps in releases (which subsiquently means they can gain more of a profit for a longer time than if they were to release them faster), on the other hand - even though it may seem as though TP likes "torturing" fans by making them wait longer - as I've learned with Dramacon, the wait is almost always more than worth the wait. Anime catgrin

P.S. Thanks very much to Kelly for blocking the spoilers. I wish more fans were as considerate as you, dear. Anime catgrin
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow, not much else for me to say, other than watch as later volumes are going to show more potential, if we get lucky, hopefully one of the last volumes can break the top 10. Truly going towards a victory here Very Happy
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow that's pretty amazing, next stop the TOP TEN! Then all the suits will have to bow down to our purchasing power.... Rolling Eyes

It's weird for me to see any Manga titles on this list considering the amount of people I see sitting on the floor at Borders (or B&N) reading a stack of Manga. But this is very encouraging to hear that people are still buying anime/manga.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic! And well deserving. I have already bought and read it, and the volumes just keep getting better, IMO. I was turned on to the manga after I had enjoyed the anime, and this title is what got me interested in Shoujo. It will be interesting to see what Takaya does now that Furuba is finished (in Japan).
angieness

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:37 pm Reply with quote
That's awesome, I just bought my volume yesterday and it made me cry twice. Totally a worthy volume to make it so high on the booklist., sucks the next one isn't until August
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
That's great to see. Given their success with Fruits Basket, I'm sure that TokyoPop is dreading the day that they publish the last volume. That's probably the biggest reason why they're dragging the series out with five (or so) months between books. ;_;

I'm sure they are, but as they say, "All good things must come to an end." And while I'm in no hurry to find out the ending of furuba (earlier than it's released, that is) I'm eagerly awaiting the newest volume.

I don't think that I'm in a hurry to know how it ends, but I'd rather not wait (hopefully not) another three years to get the remaining seven books.

Quote:
As for the quarterly release shedule, I can understand it both ways; for one, the best-selling series for TP will last longer with the longer gaps in releases (which subsiquently means they can gain more of a profit for a longer time than if they were to release them faster)

As popular as this series is, I can't imagine that bookstores will lose interest in it as soon as it's over. It's probably going to stay around for a long time (just without these USA Today list headlines). This is just a pure desire to torture. ;p

Quote:
, on the other hand - even though it may seem as though TP likes "torturing" fans by making them wait longer - as I've learned with Dramacon, the wait is almost always more than worth the wait. :-3

Dramacon is the only english comic that TP releases that I follow, and I can understand the delays it suffers from simply because it must be created. TP doesn't have that excuse with Fruits Basket any more. TP has basically caught up with the Japanese release of "Sgt. Frog", so the longer intervals between those volumes are perfectly acceptable. I have no problem with spacing US manga volumes to the same intervals as the Japanese manga releases, if they're in danger of catching up, but I don't like longer release intervals being given to completed series.

Until recently, I'd been enjoying the bimonthly release rate that Viz was giving to Red River and Basara, but those have now slipped to quarterly (11 of 28 and 4 of 27 volumes remaining, respectively). I never seen Basara (probably Red River, too) as anywhere near to being a top seller, so I'm presuming that the spacing for it is due to declining sales. ;_;
Ningensei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow. That's all I can say. When I started purchasing the English volumes a few years ago I never thought that it would be this big (even though I think it deserves it). Especially when it comes to a book list that is pretty mainstream and isn't limited to certain genres or isn't only a "top manga" book list. Go FB!
pixiebell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:32 pm Reply with quote
That is wonderful! I haven't read Vol. 16 yet Sad I will order it through amazon.com shortly though. I was only on Vol. 5 last month, but thanks to a dear friend who spent a fortune mailing me her copies to borrow I am almost all caught up. Smile I look forward to being able to participate in the Fruits Basket manga topic soon. I have avoided it so far for fear of spoilers.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:55 pm Reply with quote
pixiebell wrote:
That is wonderful! I haven't read Vol. 16 yet Sad I will order it through amazon.com shortly though. I was only on Vol. 5 last month, but thanks to a dear friend who spent a fortune mailing me her copies to borrow I am almost all caught up. Smile I look forward to being able to participate in the Fruits Basket manga topic soon. I have avoided it so far for fear of spoilers.

We'll be waiting Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2