• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Case Closed

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpgamer79

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I met him and took a picture with him in fact. I talked to him for few minutes but nothing more. Overall he was a nice person. He holds every year a live interview at his home town (the next one is actually after tomorrow 4th of January). Unfortunately I will not able to go this time but hopefully next year ( I will tell you if he is boring or not once I would manage to attend one of these interviews).

One more point regarding Detective Conan, Americanizing the series was seriously a big mistake. During its lifecycle, the series became deeply involved with the Japanese culture. Even some episodes in the anime tried to promote some famous sightseeing locations around japan (e.g. Miyajima), Opening and endings are presented by Japanese pop singers, and the guest within its move mainly from the known celebrities community in japan (Actors, Reporter, Athletes, etc). In my opinion, From what I can see Detective Conan became more like a public family show not only exclusive to Anime and manga communities only. You can think of it as a counterpart to the Simpsons in the US.

Last edited by rpgamer79 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
matthewlow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Great review. Sums up what I love about Conan; the characters, overarching plot, the creative ideas in making the mysteries, and still hasn't broken any interest this far in. It is also one of my gateway series as there's some for older and young alike. I wish Viz would catch up to the Japanese release though since it seems unlikely the anime is coming back here.

Has there been any consideration to switch back to the Japanese names? Ai also has a different name with Funi than in the manga.

Must be pretty awesome being the editor! Great job and keep it up!
gridsleep

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Very excellent article, but should a review be done by someone who is financially involved in the publication? You'll rarely find a review in the New York Review of Books, for instance, that is written by someone who works for the house that published the book under review. I would daresay it never happens.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
Very excellent article, but should a review be done by someone who is financially involved in the publication? You'll rarely find a review in the New York Review of Books, for instance, that is written by someone who works for the house that published the book under review. I would daresay it never happens.

This isn't a formal review (the column is far too personal and personality-driven to be considered a formal review), but I've seen many similar columns for larger publications in a "Books I love but you may have missed" format that were written by folks who worked on them but didn't write them (publisher, editor etc).

Jason Thompson has covered many, many manga he worked on in this column over the years. All the Shonen Jump stuff, for instance. I didn't think it was an issue then and I don't think it's an issue now, provided you are given full disclosure.

Last edited by Zac on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Ah, detective Conan! This was one of teh first few series I got into before I officially considered myself an anime/manga fan and I remember liking it as a kid. I haven't really been paying much attention to it for a while but I still like, just recently I had watched a few random episodes (making sure Ai made some sort of appearance as she's easily my favorite character) and had a fun time. I do want to try and find all of the pieces that involve the black orginization so I can marathon through them and enjoy everything else at my leisure, but trying to find a proper timeline has been brutal.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I remember trying to catch up with this in early college (after I had already caught up with Naruto and Bleach back in high school, had to do something while I was waiting for my bus to leave!) and I gave up after 200 or 300 chapters, there was just too much out there and not enough was being revealed in the Men in Black plot. I think that if I say found it at my local library and they got a new volume every few months I'd pick it back up but for the moment I'm just going to remember it as something I enjoyed at the time yet was just way too long for me.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Yup, this and Fruits Basket were my non-mon-related anime gateways. Still like it. Have the whole anime on DVD. No idea where I left off in the manga. I remember as a kiddo being frustrated when my brain finally peeled back the metaphysical curtain of the whole thing and realized that Jimmy was never going to solve the Men in Black mystery because this was the kind of thing that was supposed to run forever. Initially, I read it because I really wanted to know the answer behind what they were up to.

When I got older, I didn't really care, still don't. The real appeal of the story is in its characters, as Shannon does such a good job of describing. They're all extremely lovable, and have just enough depth and potential development to keep it all interesting...without changing the status quo too much to keep it from being an episodic mystery series for families.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Case Closed is one of my favorite manga, glad to see ANN give it some love! Very Happy
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Pretty good review. While I haven't read much of the manga (in fact, I've probably read about two or three chapters), I have seen plenty of the anime. I really liked watching it, but I haven't seen any episodes in a while. Actually, I stopped at the episode with Phantom Thief Kid's first appearance, though I was going to keep watching. In fact, I think I'll go watch some more Case Closed episodes soon. I'm looking forward to see what happens to Conan and friends next! Smile

By the way, in case you're wondering about the Americanization of the manga, that was actually a request from- believe it or not- Gosho Aoyama himself. Apparently, he thought that Americans would relate more to the cast if they had English-language names. If only Aoyama-sensei knew...
rpgamer79

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
By the way, in case you're wondering about the Americanization of the manga, that was actually a request from- believe it or not- Gosho Aoyama himself. Apparently, he thought that Americans would relate more to the cast if they had English-language names. If only Aoyama-sensei knew...

This is my first time to hear that; Could you please share the source for this information if it is possible?
partysmores

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
All this talk of the grade schoolers loving Case Closed, and yet no explanation from Viz as to why they slapped it with an Older Teen rating.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching this a long time ago when i was in middle school on adult swim. I loved it to death. It would always come on at around 4-5 am so i would wake up early each day JUST to see it (in some cases i would stay up the whole night to see it too lol).

Once i got into high school and college though i gradually forgot about it. Probably because i didn't have T.V or internet at the time.
I've tried to marathon the anime and manga a couple times but i just couldn't do it. That's the thing that's always frustrated me about long running shounen manga or anime. A lot of the fans that love the crap out of it have been following it since around the time it started. But new fans are usually put off by the extreme length and aren't willing or able to put in the time. And this complaint is perfectly understandable imo.

That's the thing that i've hated about one piece as well. I'm sorry but shouldn't take 700 chapters to tell ANY kind of coherent story. FMA was my favorite shounen because it had a manageable length, great character and story development and was entertaining throughout.

Conan has that "case of the week" vibe which some might think would get redundant after a while. But i never had any problems it being formulaic at times because it was always fun to try to figure out the cases ahead of time and the buildup leading to the final revelation was entertaining. Plus every now and then the overarching plot would get the spotlight which was always refreshing. Personally i'd love to get back into this series but it's always hard taking those first few steps..................

Sad
IanC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh my... I need to catch up with this series. Think I last got a volume back at 28 or so? Yow. Really enjoyed too. Must catch up!
GiriOni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Case Closed. One of my absolute favorites. I read over 400 chapters back when the series was getting close to about 6 or 7 hundred. Then, through netflix I marathoned the show with my brother and sister up to the latest volume they had, back when netflix only delivered DVD's. Now I have watched pretty close to current and read to current, and own several books and all 5 seasons of it. Case Closed is probably my top series. Ahhh... back to watching the subs Funimation is releasing, largely for me hoping that with the combination of Funi saying they will try sub only releases and with them putting up the subs, they will eventually release more.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
"At this point I can feel the heat rising from the foreheads of devoted fans who very badly need to object that Jimmy Kudo's original name is Shinichi Kudo, and the Japanese title of the manga is Detective Conan."

Yep that's me. At least to the level that I can't stand such localizations. Otherwise i probably would have bought the entire manga series as it came out from Viz.

I do have all of the anime as the subtitled version does not change the names.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3