• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Dub Date A Live, Red Data Girl, Karneval, Code:Breaker

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
You're welcome for that tweet about the dubs. Wink
khthibault

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Hooray! I'm definitely going to pick up Date A Live and Red Data Girl. It's a shame Red Data Girl is DVD only but as long as I get to own it, I'm a happy camper.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Always nice to see more stuff getting a physical release, be it DVD, Blu-ray or both.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow, remember the days when Funi didn't have to specifically announce that it was dubbing a home release? It was simply understood.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Red Data Girl is visually the best anime on this set, yet it's the one that's DVD only? Logic much? Wtf. Seriously, if only ONE of these should get Bluray, it's Red Data Girl.

I didn't know anyone actually liked Karneval or Code:Breaker lol. I cant comment on those since I couldnt get past episode 3 on Karnveal and episode 1 on Code:Breakr

Dubs for Red Data Girl shouldnt be too hard to do, pretty simple voice work on that one. Date A Live is gonna be horrible dubbed, given Funimation's history with this type of show. I expect a ton of overacting, mispronounced character names, and a pinch of stiff acting as well.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, time to start saving up some money for Karneval since it's the only thing I actually care about on that list.

The anime wasn't that great, but not bad either. I enjoyed it. Can't wait to see how the dub turns out.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Red Data Girl is visually the best anime on this set, yet it's the one that's DVD only? Logic much? Wtf. Seriously, if only ONE of these should get Bluray, it's Red Data Girl.

Blame Kadokawa.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

I didn't know anyone actually liked Karneval or Code:Breaker lol. I can't comment on those since I couldnt get past episode 3 on Karnveal and episode 1 on Code:Breakr

Dubs for Red Data Girl shouldnt be too hard to do, pretty simple voice work on that one. Date A Live is gonna be horrible dubbed, given Funimation's history with this type of show. I expect a ton of overacting, mispronounced character names, and a pinch of stiff acting as well.

I would have likely purchased RDG, but if it's not on BD spoiler[(sigh…Kadokawa)], I'm not interested, as it would feel like I have an "inferior" product when there is a better-looking version out there, not to mention that I don't want to purchase the DVDs and then, in the future, FUNimation releases a BD(/DVD) set. As for a RDG dub, I thought that, from the first episode, it would be a fool-proof dub to do without monkeying around with it or having questionable casting, but I can't really put it past them…

Last edited by Sam Murai on Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
As I've seen all of these, allow me to comment on the series:
1. Date A Live: Comedy, harem, very light on fanservice. Has actual decent characters. Main lead is NOT a spineless little wuss. Good watch.

2. Red Data Girl: Is Mystery, shoujo-ish romance. Is GORGEOUS to look at. Characters are likable, and actually develop. Story seems good, but stop right when it was beginning. Zero closure, zero shot at a second season. Of all the series to not get a bluray, you pick the one with the most gorgeous backgrounds I've seen in years? Well, FU 2!

3. Karneval: This is for the ladies. The kind of screwed up the manga adaptation though. Almost zero character development, and the 3 ladies that have seen this are in agreement: KILL SHIRO!! I agree, he's annoying and completely useless.

4. Code:Breaker: The story shits itself. To be fair, the manga story did the same. It was awesome for the first few episode: super-powered badasses going around killing people who were above the law. It then degenerated into shounen fighting anime number 65.453. Interesting powers in concept, but as always, YOU CANNOT BLOCK LIGHTNING WITH FIRE!!!!!
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Well Code:Breaker was crap and should be released Red Data Girl was of but Karneval and Date A live there a must to pick up
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
hmm...if anything, the only show I would like to re-watch is Code:Breaker, even more if it has an english dub

I admit I enjoyed Red Data girl but to the point of re-watching it? nah
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Date A Live is from Kadokawa too, so I suspect it may be getting a DVD-only release initially as well.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Wow, remember the days when Funi didn't have to specifically announce that it was dubbing a home release? It was simply understood.

Even now, I assume FUNi IS dubbing all their anime, unless they say otherwise. OniAi is still their only sub-only release...

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
-Madoka-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Kougeru"]Red Data Girl is visually the best anime on this set, yet it's the one that's DVD only? Logic much? Wtf. Seriously, if only ONE of these should get Bluray, it's Red Data Girl.

I didn't know anyone actually liked Karneval or Code:Breaker lol. I can't comment on those since I couldnt get past episode 3 on Karnveal and episode 1 on Code:Breakr

Dubs for Red Data Girl shouldnt be too hard to do, pretty simple voice work on that one. Date A Live is gonna be horrible dubbed, given Funimation's history with this type of show. I expect a ton of overacting, mispronounced character names, and a pinch of stiff acting as well.[/quote]

i have to agree, RDG shouldn't be a issue but DAL will be horrible dub. Though i will be happy sticking to subs, assuming it ever gets released (Funi seem to enjoy holding titles back after announcing release dates like it's a hobby or something).
skyreno4

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Only title I'm interested is "date a live" that's it, the rest is kinda heh didn't likey how story progress for each title, well time to wait next week to hear Sentai filmworks June releases and Which I'm excited to hear
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3