• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Portable Power

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:55 am Reply with quote
Ahh it's great to see the psp get some love and has to be by far one of my all time favorite hand-held's because of the massive rpg library. I might try to get 100 article in as well for my favorite psp game and see how that goes. There is just one thing I want to add tactics ogre: let us cling together, was also on the Sega Saturn which offered full voice acting during cut scenes and better music.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiro94

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
It is a shame the PSP didn't get the love in the states it gets in Japan. I am still glad that new PSP Games come out regularly in Japan. Allthough most people are not even aware that new PSP games come out every month in Japan.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
The PSP had several issues that are being ignored here...

1) the initial production units had serious quality control issues and broke easily. In the two years I owned a PSP myself, I had to return TWO of them to Sony for the following reasons --
a. The D-pad on my original PSP broke after only a few months; there were also dead pixels on the screen;
b. My second unit still had D-pad issues...! There was also STILL an issue with dead pixels.

Boken/frozen pixels remained common to the PSP for quite a while. I think even my third PSP had them!
The video and audio quality audio were wonderful -- it's easily still one of the best portable systems I've ever owned -- BUT it WAS poorly built with easily breakable parts. I finally traded in my third PSP (I was still covered under warranty and didn't have to pay for it when I traded the others into Sony for replacement) which was out-of-warranty when the UMD drive itself broke. That's how many people's PSP units eventually die or are given up -- the UMD drive breaks!
It was so expensive to get the UMD replaced (half the cost or more of buying a new PSP!) that I finally gave up on the PSP and traded it in for credit towards a PS3...
I was fed up by that time (fall 2007) because I actually was watching more videos and listening to MP3's than playing games on the thing.

2) The PSP was essentially a portable PS2 and didn't develop a personality of its own. Too much of the game library that was released in its earlier days was a straight port of PS2 works. There were months between titles that were worth buying for the system. The games that distinguished the system later on came late -- TOO late really for many people to write the system off as anything but a PS2 spin-off.

3) The PSP never developed a large third-party developer following... It's never been as well-supported as the Nintendo portables in the West.

4) The Sony tendency to develop new, novel software formats that are RARELY adopted by many other companies and stick it to the hardware users by forcing them to buy expensive, exclusive memory cards.
Sony has done this time and time again... Blu ray's survived mainly as a movie format but has never been as widely embraced by personal computers like DVD was and still exists with many compatibility issue fits with PC's and Mac's. Today, Blu ray's presence is still a slice of what DVD once was and while it will continue to survive for years yet it'll never be the sales force DVD was.
The memory cards with useable storage space WERE expensive on the PSP and are STILL very expensive on the PS Vita!
I looked at the Vita but passed mainly on the basis of costs -- I felt it was a bit much to ask for in a portable game player -- and the fact that once again Sony had a portable game machine that wasn't supported well by third-party developers. The fact that the company is still socking it to consumers with expensive proprietary memory cards for the newer portable is a bad sign that they didn't learn their lesson on that from the PSP, either!
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
*hugs her PSP* It's a great system still. And my only way of buying stuff from the N-American PSN Store because my Vita would require an extra memory card to switch between accounts.

As for great PSP games, I'd like to point out Trails In The Sky and especially Phantasy Star Portable and Phantasy Star Portable 2. I think I spent well over 300 hours in those two games together. Shame of the decade that Phantasy Star Online 2 was never translated. It could've been the killer app for the Vita.

Here's hoping we'll see many more PSP games translated yet.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Besides, we'd better get this done before the Vita dies.

Very funny, Todd *rolls eyes*

I for one would like the PSP to just DIE already, as a Vita owner I'd like my Vita to actually get some damn games. I like PS3 ports but I'd like some original games. Hopefully the Vita will become like the PSP, the preferred handheld for otaku stuff.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I never bought a PSP but my brother gave me his PSP Go when he got a Vita. It is a very odd thing to own for a total physical media guy like me, and I am dismayed that I can't play some UMD-only PSP games like Out Run 2006 Coast 2 Coast on it (yes, I have the PS2 version of that, but I'd still love to be able to play it on the go).

My brother pre-loaded some other racing games like Gran Turismo PSP, Ridge Racer PSP, and a couple of Burnout games, but, weirdly, racing game fan that I am, I never really developed a feel for playing racing games on portables. I mostly use it to play JRPGs that he also preloaded, with my favourites being Trails in the Sky and Persona 3 Portable (which I like because I can play through as a girl, even though I'm a guy).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Ah the PSP, such a treasured portable console for me. In honor of its greatness, I'm going to list the games I still own for it just to show that it did occupy my time a great deal when I wasn't playing anything else.

Aedis Eclipse (unfinished)
Blade Dancer: Lineage of Light (unfinished)
Brave Story: New Traveller
Crimson Gem Saga
Dragoneer's Aria
God Eater Burst (unfinished)
Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure
Hexyz Force (unfinished)
Jeanne D'Arc
KH: Birth by Sleep
Legend of Heroes: Song of the Ocean
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Lunar Silver Star Harmony
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
Mega Man Powered Up (unfinished)
Mimana Iyar Chronicle
Revelations Persona
Persona 3P (unfinished)
Spectral Souls: Resurrection of the Ethereal Empire (still unfinished -_-)
Star Ocean: First Departure
Tales of Phantasia Full Voice Edition (unfinished)
Tales of the World Radiant Mythology
Wilds Arms XF
Ys The Ark of Napishtim (unfinished)
Ys Seven

Someday I will complete those unfinished games (and worse, there are others titles I still want to acquire; my backlog will never get cleaned out XD). As for the games that never got releases, it truly sucks since they were all quite worthy to play. I did have my eye on Sol Trigger for the longest time and despite I knew it was fruitless to hope for it, I always waited for any news of Radiant Mythology 2 and 3's possible localization.

In any case, nothing to do from here on but keep playing the PSP and finish that backlog.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Is the contest open to people outside the US? I wouldn't mind owning those three. Class of Heroes 2 is pretty much the rarest PSP game in existence.
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Azure Stricker Gunvolt is exactly what I need as a Megaman fan deprived of great sidescrolling action. There are some good indie titles out there, but they're difficult to find.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
The PSP really is an awesome system, but a sad one. It took awhile to hit it's stride, but man when it did, it sure did. It really continued the PLaystation families legacy of great and interesting Japanese games. So many jrpgs are on this system. In the end the PSP really is the continuation of the PS2 Legacy, more so then the PS3.

But it's software sales went down the crapper here and so many games were not localized. We missed out on a lot of interesting titles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
hmm since i'm in a decent mood i feel sharing a pic of my entire psp collection, I hope you all enjoy.

belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
hmm since i'm in a decent mood i feel sharing a pic of my entire psp collection, I hope you all enjoy.

Good sir, I praise your taste in PSP game selection. :)
Bloodgod

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Chief among fan demands is Sega's Valkyria Chronicles 3, which has only poked its head up here through artbooks and guest roles in Project X Zone.

For what it's worth, the fan translation team released a mostly finished translation patch. Been playing it on my phone with PPSSPP.

http://vc3translationproject.wordpress.com/
toddc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Is the contest open to people outside the US? I wouldn't mind owning those three. Class of Heroes 2 is pretty much the rarest PSP game in existence.

Sure! Go for it!
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Let us cling together had great character and story (plus it shipped with the awesome tarrot card) but god it's class system suck!

In FFT I grinded maybe one hour at the start of the game (to get people out of there squire chemist class) and never had to do it again, In LUCT you have to grind every time you unlock a new class, this is especially enraging when you unlocked a special character or a special job and then wanted to use them but couldn't cause they were level 1. Like when I unlocked the main character lord class, awesome, except he's level one and everyone is mid thirty, so I have to spent the next 2-3 hour just grinding random battle. Oh and you can't even give them really good equipment cause what equipment they can use is tied to there class level. Well it fix the problem of having to level up a new character after one dies, NO! It doesn't even do that cause the new character has no skill and the only way to get skill/level up skill is to grind.

I really don't understand how that system even got green lighted, it should have been obvious it was broken back in planning stages. It really ruined the game for me, one of the very few time I wish there had been an "no battle" mode or something so I could have just enjoyed the story without having to deal with the gameplay.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3