• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haikyu!! (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:38 am Reply with quote

Season 1 - Haikyu!! (TV)
Season 2 - Haikyuu!! Second Season (TV) (discussion starts here)
Season 3 - Haikyuu!! (TV 3) (discussion starts here)
Season 4 - Haikyuu!! To The Top (TV 4) (discussion here)
Season 5 - Haikyuu!! To The Top (TV 5) (discussion here)

Genres: comedy, slice of life, tournament
Themes: sports, volleyball

Plot Summary: Shōyō Hinata began playing volleyball after seeing the "small giants" who played the sport when he was in elementary school. He suffers a crushing defeat in his first and last tournament in middle school at the hands of his rival Tobio Kageyama. So, Hinata joins Kurasuno High School's volleyball team, vowing revenge against Kageyama. However, Kageyama is also on Kurasuno's team. The former rivals form a legendary combo with Hinata's mobility and Kageyama's precision ball-handling. Together, they take on the local tournaments and vow to meet Kurasuno's fated rival school in the nationals.
----------------------------------

Episode 1:

Wow, I got Big Windup vibes from that episode as Sho feels very much like Mihashi; the underdog with a hell of a lot of talent. I thought this was a cracking opening episode, it had a good balance of tension and humour. I'm glad that a sense of realism was used when the two teams faced; spoiler[I was expecting for Sho's team to battle back in the second game but it would have been the wrong thing to happen as they didn't stand a chance from the get go. Though Sho got to show off some of his talent but with all the training he did at the end of the academic year he is going to Tobio a run for his money once they begin training with each other.] We have already experienced the contrasting personalities of Sho and Tobio which will bring much tension early on in spoiler[their teamwork/team building].

All in all that was a fantastic episode, one I will be rewatching later in the week and I already can't wait for next weeks episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I tend to not like sports anime, just not fond of the whole taking the sports so seriously, I have only just been staying on Yowamushi Pedal after all. But I actually really liked what I saw in this episode, it felt easy to watch from being softer, which yeah it is about volleyball. I don't think it treated the audience like huge idiots, it didn't need to go hugely dramatic to explain simple things, and thus the pacing felt good. Basically everyone's reactions felt right, in this episode at least flashbacks felt right, and it felt realer.

I came in expecting to quit, but this might actually be good.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I've been reading the manga for this and it's pretty decent. I am impressed by the way the first episode handled itself. It might take me a little time to get used to Hinata's voice. Still, I think the first episode delivered itself well. Sports without super powers and a team of volleyball players fighting it out. Nice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I love volleyball. Only sport I was ever any good at. But they took me by surprise as I hadn't realized the rules had changed since I last played (used to be you only scored if you served, and you played to 15). So I've already learned something from this. Smile

I loved this episode from start to finish. The amazing audacity to spoiler[take a team who doesn't even know the rules to a tournament!] Just to get a chance to play. I do understand that sort of desperation. Sure it's a shounen sports-trope-fest, but that's fine. I think this will be a look-forward to series this season for me.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:06 am Reply with quote
Had to watch this in real-time before running out the door yesterday and it was worth it. The manga is great and the production values for the anime are high. Eagerly waiting for more.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:17 am Reply with quote
Episode Two

Another cracking episode which introduced us to 5 new characters and gave us much more comedy than the first episode. I like the situation that Daichi has put both Hinata and Kageyama into spoiler[its creating some comic tension and is ultimately going to make them both realise that they are stronger working as a team then bickering between themselves.]

The team manager seems to have a bit of a spoiler[attitude problem but I guess this is because Tanaka is always trying to hit on her; I can't make too many assumptions on 2-3 lines of dialogue.]

I like Tanaka a lot, I love how un-sly and generally blunt he is but not in a harsh way. I'm interested to see him spoiler[work with Hinata and Kageyama next episode and see the other two first years.]

I see it me or do you feel the Dean is in for a hard time in this series Laughing

Looking forward to the next episode with there being a little more action though this episode set the tone for character relationships and was a good base for letting us see some character development. Another episode thoroughly enjoyed!
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:55 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Kageyama & Shoyo.]
Sparks were flying like crazy!
I can't even imagine those two on a same team.
The wholespoiler[ wig thing] made me ROFL
Glad to see this anime has comedy parts too.
spoiler[Think the team captain made a good choice.
That was motivation enough to get those two to tolerate each other.]

Great episode!
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Episode Two

Another cracking episode which introduced us to 5 new characters and gave us much more comedy than the first episode. I like the situation that Daichi has put both Hinata and Kageyama into spoiler[its creating some comic tension and is ultimately going to make them both realise that they are stronger working as a team then bickering between themselves.]

The team manager seems to have a bit of a spoiler[attitude problem but I guess this is because Tanaka is always trying to hit on her; I can't make too many assumptions on 2-3 lines of dialogue.]

I like Tanaka a lot, I love how un-sly and generally blunt he is but not in a harsh way. I'm interested to see him spoiler[work with Hinata and Kageyama next episode and see the other two first years.]

I see it me or do you feel the Dean is in for a hard time in this series Laughing

Looking forward to the next episode with there being a little more action though this episode set the tone for character relationships and was a good base for letting us see some character development. Another episode thoroughly enjoyed!

Well, they know the Dean's secret. They can blackmail him for alot of things. haha.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I was a little disappointed that our first introduction to the manager was a boob and butt shot before even her face (it's not even like they could see her butt!). :/ But other than that, I loved every minute of the second episode, especially the door slams. Everyone has personality to spare and I can't wait to meet the rest of the team. Gwaaaa!
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:08 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I was a little disappointed that our first introduction to the manager was a boob and butt shot before even her face

Yeah, this puzzled me as well...

But i love the captain, he instantly became my new favourite character. Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Maybe I just have not watched a lot of these type of shows, but the two guys are reminding me a lot of Imaizumi and Naruko.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
I nearly sprayed tea all over my laptop when spoiler[that bit with the wig happened...] Laughing

I'm enjoying this show so far, although it does seem a bit like Prince of Volleyball. [/spoiler]
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:03 am Reply with quote

spoiler[Hinata really needed someone to teach him.
Guess he missed out on a lot in middle school.
Since he never had a proper team to play in..
Kageyama is just too cruel towards him most of the time.
Well, at least he seems to care enough to make an effort.
New characters look interesting, but slightly annoying too.
Especially that glasses guy. He's too sure of himself.
Looks like Kageyama's past nickname has an interesting story behind it.
There must be a damn good reason of him snapping every time someone calls him "king".
We'll probably see that explained later on.
Hinata-Kageyama relationship sure is improving ^^]
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Another glorious episode; this has become one of the few shows that get excited about before it airs and for some reason I have a huge grin on my face when I watch the intro.

Anyways to this weeks episode. More relationship and teamwork building for Hinata and Kageyama. They seem to spoiler[working much better together] though from the looks of next weeks preview spoiler[things aren't going to continue to be as smooth.] Its good to see that the older team members are willing to help train the newer guys and I thought they would have been hesitant to do so to begin with due to sportsman's pride.

I'm glad that Hinata spoiler[stuck up for Kageyama] in his own little way but it looks like the spoiler[nickname King could be Kageyama's Achilles heal] causing them problems in the future.

I'm not sure how to weigh up Tsookie, when he said spoiler["only a club activity", does this mean: that he's not particularly interested in volleyball; taking them lightly or generally isn't in it for winning?]
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I can relate to "Tsookie" (i'm pretty sure it's supposed to be "Tsukki", though) spoiler[because i'm constantly asking myself why do people get so worked up over a stupid game?! whenever i'm watching sports anime...then again, i was never part of a (shounen) sports team, so i'm sure Tsukki-kun will get suitably hot-blooded later on.]

But i liked it that he told Kageyama spoiler[that he basically treated his teammates like shit back then. You go, Tsukki!]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 23