• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Ghoul (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote

Season 1 - Tokyo Ghoul (TV)
Season 2 - [b]Tokyo Ghoul √A (TV) (discussion starts here)
Spinoff - [b]Tokyo Ghoul:re (TV)) (discussed here)

Genres: action, drama, horror, supernatural
Themes: gore, monsters

Plot Summary: Ken Kaneki is a bookworm college student who meets a girl names Rize at a cafe he frequents. They're the same age and have the same interests, so they quickly become close. Little does Kaneki know that Rize is a ghoul - a kind of monster that lives by hunting and devouring human flesh. When part of her special organ - "the red child" - is transplanted into Kaneki, he becomes a ghoul himself, trapped in a warped world where humans are not the top of the food chain.
----------------------------------

[b]Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015) starts here

----------------------------------

Previews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA4OLfkvAXg&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O4b5psUJJg

Interesting stuff so far with the preview. Not a big fan of the studio though but maybe this could deliver. I have been following the franchise earlier this and it could be promising. Funimation already acquired this so I might check out their BD release in the future as well. I just hope there won't be much censoring. The premise sounds decent at least. I'm hoping for 2 cour but most likely it won't be.

Last edited by Stark700 on Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Wow, I didn't thought I'd say this but it was a really good episode. There were some bits cut but overall was really strong from the set-up to, execution, and cliffhanger. I noticed they chose Kana Hanazawa to play Rize for the role too spoiler[so her revelation as a ghoul definitely contrasted some of the usual characters she stars in.]

Toka is my favorite so far from the show. Tspoiler[urns out she is a ghoul too although that doesn't surprise me. I hope they play the OP song with scenes soon.] Overall really good show so far.

A lot of potential for this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Gruesome. Dark. Disturbing. Perfect!
Just what I was waiting for.
Normal world vs ghoul world sharing the same reality.
Damn, poor spoiler[kid felt right into that trap].
spoiler[Think that doctor made some kind of an experiment out of him.]
Will be watching this one.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm gonna like this one despite the fact that watching people get eaten grosses me out. That was one of the reasons I couldn't stomach (heh) Pupa.

Background art on this one is stellar - night-time Tokyo never looked so good.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Awww, they gave it away right from the get go with the spoiler["put her organs in him"] line. It would have been a little more interesting to me if he was wondering what happened for a little longer.

Show looks decent visually and Kana Hanazawa is an interesting choice to play Rize. I have read a few chapters of the manga in the past, but haven't kept up with it. Hopefully, this will be a 2 cour show otherwise I fear it may turn into last season's Brynnhldr in the Darkness with them trying to stick 20 chapters at a time into a single episode.
Alberto7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
What a delightfully gruesome way to start a series! I was looking forward to this one based solely on the trailers (I am not familiar with its source material), and it was better than I was expecting. Very straight-to-the-point first episode. It didn't meander through the story with unnecessary plot points/devices, yet it was slow and thoughtful enough to let the viewer take in every plot detail and to make every emotion it wanted to convey sink in deep into the psyche.

I particularly liked the way spoiler[they portrayed Kaneki's terror of finding that he's been half-turned into this abominable human-eating monster. It somewhat reminded me of how well Attack on Titan conveyed the horror of the situation during the first few episodes.]

If there was one thing I didn't like was how they held back on showing the details of that one fight scene near the end (by doing the typical move of having two characters approach each other at full speed, clash with a bang, and then the delayed wounds and blood out of thin air), and how some of the more gory stuff was sort of left out of frame or shaded black. I'm not sure if it's just censorship that might be removed in future DVD/Bluray releases or if it's meant to be that way. In either case, it was quite a minor drawback during this first episode, and I didn't even consciously think about it until after the episode ended. Nothing to worry about here for now.

Can't wait for more!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:53 am Reply with quote
@ Alberto7 - usually censored gore is restored for DVD/BD Japanese releases. Assuming Funi releases this for home distribution in NA (which it is likely to do since it has the streaming rights), that gore would be uncensored ASSUMING they get the proper masters. Unfortunately, it seems Japanese companies either accidentally or accidentally-on-purpose try to pawn off the broadcast version of shows instead of the home release versions (this has happened with Sankarea and is thought to be behind the delay of Ben-to).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I am not really a big fan of gore, so I shouldn't be interested in this sort of show. But this episode felt so well done that I am actually interested and excited. The horror of him seeing what he has become was well plotted out, and the struggle failed to come off as cheesy, I am very interested, and maybe a little hungry.

She spoiler[offered a hand and he tossed it away, she then said she would give him a hand, and gave him]...... a spoiler[heart]?

Wasn't some of the plot of what happened from spoiler[Highschool DxD]? Razz
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm not too fond of gore, and the idea of a human being turning, unwillingly, into something inhuman and terrible is one of the types of horror I personally find the most terrifying, and yet I found myself drawn in by this first episode. The scene where spoiler[Kaneki starts to realize what's happening to him, and tries desperately to find some food that won't make him sick] was quite intense, and I felt myself despairing right along with him by the end of it. I also found his friend's concern for him to be quite touching. I hope nothing bad happens to that friend...well, given the vibes this series is giving off, I suppose I should say, "I hope nothing too bad happens to that friend."
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting Shiki vibes from this one, and that's a good thing. Shiki was a very cerebral, character focused ensemble piece, and this looks more action oriented and focused on its MC, so its sufficiently different.

Curious where ghouls come from and how people become ghouls normally (ie, not from organ transplants). The first spoiler[ghoul the mc meets says something that implies he has transitioned from human to ghoul himself rather recently. Considering that the bingeing Rize left her victims dead and devoured, how do ghouls turn humans? And can any ghoul turn a human, or does Toka's mysterious organization do recruiting? ]
Shikiari

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Well well well, what a fantastically dark episode... I almost feel sorry for Kaneki.
I hadn't seen the preview so naturally when they introduced spoiler[Rize binge eating on corpses as a ghoul], I assumed they would be seen as the 'bad guys' of the series. Now that spoiler[Kaneki has changed into half human/ half ghoul], I'm interested in knowing which direction it will take.

The ghouls are portrayed as spoiler[monsters and murderers but now he's 'one of them', are we meant to see them from a good perspective? And what of the other organisation killing/ capturing the ghouls? Are we looking at a 2 way fight with Humans stuck in the middle.]

Hopefully we will find some answers in the next episode. Smile
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen anything this genuinely disturbing since Shiki. Not a bad show so far though, it has my interest.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I think I'm gonna like this one despite the fact that watching people get eaten grosses me out. That was one of the reasons I couldn't stomach (heh) Pupa..

Well regardless of whether this is to your taste or not (pun intended) it seems too well done to ignore. I'm sure this is going to be very actively talked about here.

Of course the very last thing that would ever enter Kaneki's mind is to go back to the hospital to talk to that doctor and say dude WTF. And they would discharge a patient that hasn't eaten once over presumably days or weeks?

Well it seems some ghouls can exhibit some level of camaraderie if not compassion. Rise was clearly bad news but Tōka clearly is set up to be the ghoul senpai here.
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Of course the very last thing that would ever enter Kaneki's mind is to go back to the hospital to talk to that doctor and say dude WTF. And they would discharge a patient that hasn't eaten once over presumably days or weeks?

As long as the patient is in sound mental health, they can almost always leave whenever they want. You usually just sign a few forms and other paper work and you are out the door. (DAMA- Discharged Against Medical Advice)
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:09 am Reply with quote
Ep1 -

I really enjoyed that ep, though my continued loyalty to the show is largely dependent on how the main character develops and how the villain is.

I'm terrified of being eaten alive by other intelligent beings (most of my fears are pretty much impossible LOL) so the horror aspect is really there for me. Naturally I'm fine with the gore level. I just need to toughen up and swallow my fears.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 15