• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hanayamata (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote

Hanayamata (TV)

Genres: slice of life
Themes: seinen

Plot Summary: Normal appearance, normal intelligence, normal in arts and sports... just normal. This is the entirely normal 14-year-old, Naru Sekiya. While she admires "Heroines" she continues to live a normal life until one moonlit night she meets a fairy. This foreign girl then guides her into the extraordinary world of the yosakoi dance.
----------------------------------

Episode 1: Well, that was good. From one of my favorite studio Studio, I thought this delivered well. spoiler[The OP song and the other song played by the band was decent]. Characters were fleshed out well too so far from the intro episode.

The dance was cute too!

Hopefully with Madhouse being involved, the show will deliver. I liked it so far of course. The charming mood and the characters are adorable so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ampharos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this one too. It's perfectly cute and charming and the art is really beautiful. Definitely a season highlight so far for me and it fills the cuteness void that the departure of One Week Friends has left me with.
Alberto7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:20 am Reply with quote
Agreed. I think this will be this season's One Week Friends for me in terms of tone and cuteness. It was a totally heart-meltingly adorable first episode, and it was completely hilarious when it really wanted to. Spot-on pacing and good episode structure as well; it felt like a very well-rounded episode. The art and the animation were both gorgeous, too. The music was alright, although I'm sure it'll grow on me.

It's also kinda funny because I have a friend who is exactly like Hana: spoiler[hyper and overwhelmingly optimistic, almost annoyingly so. It's people like that who can really lift your spirits in a second and get you going;] it's a contagious feeling. I love the fact that I can relate to this. Laughing

I'm looking forward to more!

Last edited by Alberto7 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:52 am; edited 2 times in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Kind of reminds me of Kiniro Mosaic, the cutness, optimism and silly humour will probably be enough to keep me coming. Hana totally reminds me of Karen. Lets see if the heroine can grow.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:41 am Reply with quote
Blondy's teeny-tiny vampire fangs are adorable.

Yeah, it's a cute show, but I'm not sure how long I'll be sticking with it. I found it a bit dull. And this is just personal to me, but I actually hate yosakoi dancing which was an element of Golden Time that always drove me nuts. I don't like the music and movements that go along with it, although to be truthful, the brief versions of it we saw in this eppie don't look or sound like what was on Golden Time.

Anyway, we'll see. This show may end drawing me in more as it goes along.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Blondy's teeny-tiny vampire fangs are adorable.

Yeah, it's a cute show, but I'm not sure how long I'll be sticking with it. I found it a bit dull. And this is just personal to me, but I actually hate yosakoi dancing which was an element of Golden Time that always drove me nuts. I don't like the music and movements that go along with it, although to be truthful, the brief versions of it we saw in this eppie don't look or sound like what was on Golden Time.

Anyway, we'll see. This show may end drawing me in more as it goes along.

Well, apparently it can also be like this.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, not sure I'm crazy over that type, either...
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:26 am Reply with quote
Ep 1 -

I thought the blonde was a freakin' vampire but I guess that's not the angle the show is going. Let's get her some donuts though just to be safe.

It was cute but I don't think I'm going to stick with it. I don't care about the dancing and the characters are only average likability for me.
Hikaru Suzuhara

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Hana N. Fountainstand

Naru Sekiya

Yaya Sasame

Machi Tokiwa

Tami Nishimikado

Hanayamata
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
It is not hard to see where it came from, where it is, or where it is going. All obvious. Hardly compelling.

I got a little bored watching the first episode but it could just be the mood I'm in. And I found the loli-vampire more annoying than cute but I agree with B- that the fangs were a plus.

I'm not a big fan of self-esteem education but if I were to prescribe it for anyone I would for Naru.
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:30 am Reply with quote
With all the blood and guts this season, this show may be the only way I keep my sanity.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:54 am Reply with quote
SethMosrite wrote:
With all the blood and guts this season, this show may be the only way I keep my sanity.

Try Barakamon.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Lol, I find the eye expressions in this series to be funny. Other than that, the other parts of the humor were great to in episode 2 like when spoiler[Naru deleted her history from the Internet off her computer.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
like when spoiler[Naru deleted her history from the Internet off her computer.]

Must admit that my mind goes to assumptions based off that.

A couple of small nit-picks about episode 2 that are probably just being anal: Why did Hana use the computer to play the DVD when there was clearly a larger TV in the room that one might assume likely has a DVD player? And how did spoiler[they have the DVD, laptop, and speakers at school to be able to practise]?

Not really having many problems with the episode, this one was more obvious, so I hope for some super cuteness coming.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Lol, I find the eye expressions in this series to be funny.

I am not really liking the triangle-shaped eyelid thing. It is different but that's the only appealing thing about it.

Is it possible for Naru to be any more of a klutz? Seriously her physical ability is a condition that should be ranked as a disability.

Don't get your hopes up but in any rational world we could expect to see some Yaya-on-Naru yuri action. At least it sound dirty.

For some reason I want Hana to bite me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4