• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sony's Tokyo Office Offers Employees Early Retirement to Cut Costs

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deaththekid666

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Well sh*t
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, looks like more bad news for Sony, I'm very sorry to hear that. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:06 am Reply with quote
Sony better not go bankrupt because if they do, mobile will run rampant and the Japanese gaming industry is finished since there is nothing to fill the void in the console market right now and Nintendo can only do so much.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
If Sony dies...where will all the JRPG's go? Nintendo?
traveling

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:23 am Reply with quote
It's not the worst news but it sucks that they're trying to cut costs to make a profit.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:42 am Reply with quote
I almost misread that as Sony cutting employee's retirements.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:16 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Sony better not go bankrupt because if they do, mobile will run rampant and the Japanese gaming industry is finished since there is nothing to fill the void in the console market right now and Nintendo can only do so much.

I hate to say it but I think Sony has made their stance clear. They tried to go for the global/western market with the PS4 and it aliened Japanese gamers. It might be only temporarily and it'll pick up when Japanese games actually come out for it, but for now Nintendo is where Japanese console gamers are going since it actually has games. The Vita on the other hand seems to be Japanese exclusive at this state. Tons of games coming out for it in Japan, but very few for westerners, and those that do are either censored or digital distribution only. I guess with the Vita they can't market AAA games on it for the American audience like they at least can with the PS3 and PS4 so they don't even bother with it in America unfortunately. I'm a bit disappointed with Sony because of that, or at least their American branch.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:35 am Reply with quote
SquareEnix stock isn't doing anyone any good. It sucks, but numbers don't lie. I would hope they don't can their game division just to save themselves in the future.

This wouldn't be happening unless they were in trouble. Say like FF15 and KH3 do eventually come out, It wouldn't be much of a bonus for them.

Things are getting bad.
iloveturkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:04 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
SquareEnix stock isn't doing anyone any good. It sucks, but numbers don't lie. I would hope they don't can their game division just to save themselves in the future.

This wouldn't be happening unless they were in trouble. Say like FF15 and KH3 do eventually come out, It wouldn't be much of a bonus for them.

Things are getting bad.

SquareEnix has nothing to do with Sony, and they are certainly not 'Sony's game division'. Sony selling their SquareEnix stock was just a move so Sony could find some monetary assets.
chronium

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:17 am Reply with quote
Since the gaming division is really the only one that is making a profit they will most likely split that part of the company off before they finally give up and declare bankruptcy.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:36 am Reply with quote
Sony loss a lot of money. Sony sells all SquareEnix shares, and now Sony plans early employees retirement.

Is there anything Sony can do in order to get back on track before things get worse?
Little_Hawk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:46 am Reply with quote
On the brighter side of things, maybe Marvel will eventually get back its Spider Man rights?
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:49 am Reply with quote
Ok, who in Japan has enough money to be a white knight for SONY?

For the most part the Japanese home electronics business is in something of a shambles, with long time Japanese stalwarts like TEAC, ONKYO and Pioneer recently being bought out by international investors from the U. S. ( Gibson of guitar fame! ) & China. Softbank might have made sense in the role, but as far as I know they have their plate full with digesting Sprint here in the U. S.

On the other hand, Apple is sitting on literally billions of dollars in cash internationally. They just made their first significant acquisition in many years in the form of Beats. Might they be in a position to make an investment?

Thinking about an Apple Playstation kinda makes my head hurt. Confused

Mark Gosdin
yappers4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:46 am Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

I hate to say it but I think Sony has made their stance clear. They tried to go for the global/western market with the PS4 and it aliened Japanese gamers. It might be only temporarily and it'll pick up when Japanese games actually come out for it, but for now Nintendo is where Japanese console gamers are going since it actually has games. The Vita on the other hand seems to be Japanese exclusive at this state. Tons of games coming out for it in Japan, but very few for westerners, and those that do are either censored or digital distribution only. I guess with the Vita they can't market AAA games on it for the American audience like they at least can with the PS3 and PS4 so they don't even bother with it in America unfortunately. I'm a bit disappointed with Sony because of that, or at least their American branch.

The Vita is barely receiving any marketing promotion in the west. That, and the price is too high unless you purchase a used or refurbished Vita from Amazon, and the same can be said with the memory cards. The Vita has a lot of potentials to bring in great sales, but western Sony aren't doing a darn thing about it. The most they've promoted was indie games at E3, and that can only do so much, a.k.a, it's not really helping the Vita. It's a shame because the Vita really have great games that aren't JRPGs.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
Well Sony really needs to do something fast or there consoles will be the only thing they have left
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3