• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Frozen Home Video Tops Evangelion, Spirited Away's All-Time Records With 1.5 Million in Japan

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:20 pm Reply with quote
LOL. I don't even know how to feel about this.
SUPER_METR0lD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I really don't understand the runaway success of Frozen. It's a good movie, but it's not exactly great either. Personally, I found Tangled to be far superior in pretty much every way.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote
SUPER_METR0lD wrote:
I really don't understand the runaway success of Frozen. It's a good movie, but it's not exactly great either. Personally, I found Tangled to be far superior in pretty much every way.

Frozen's success is probably heavily built of the prior success of Tangled and Wreck'it Ralph. Kids want to see Disney movies again, and its peeking with Frozen.

I don't expect Big Hero 6 to do quite as well (not being a musical will probably hurt it actually, as a lot of Frozen's fandom is built around the soundtrack quality more then anything)
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:17 am Reply with quote
LaughingElbow wrote:
LOL. I don't even know how to feel about this.

Same. I'm like "Why?" at the same time I'm slightly interested.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
For Karaoke purposes. All 1.5 million of them. 19 weeks later, still in theaters. Gonna be a ton of people at Disneyland this year.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:55 am Reply with quote
It feels like Disney is undergoing another renaissance
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:13 am Reply with quote
I personally preferred Brave, but it was not bad, good to see an appreciation of something other than just homegrown.
bellabee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:20 am Reply with quote
I liked frozen but I feel kinda pissed cus its nowhere near as good as spirited away.
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:11 am Reply with quote
To me, it was a good movie, not a great movie. I too am on that: "I don't get the hype," train.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:21 am Reply with quote
I loved this movie, and even I'm scratching my head going "...Really?" I mean, nineteen weeks? That sounds like it's Star Wars level popular! o_O
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:25 am Reply with quote
SUPER_METR0lD wrote:

I'm basically in the same boat. I haven't seen these movies, but I've always been inclined to watch Tangled at some point. Nothing about Frozen made me want to watch it.

Regardless, I'm not too sure on what the appeal is, though. They all seem to be standard Disney movie material, so I don't quite know why Frozen is blowing up like it is. Although, I do have a good excuse to see it, since my three-year-old niece loves Frozen, so I could just watch it with her the next time I come for a visit. My brother-in-law would probably appreciate it since he wouldn't have to watch it with her again for the umpteenth time.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:47 am Reply with quote
I've been happily riding this hype train for a while... I don't want to get off. 'Tis a cracking film and I think the soundtrack is what's made it such a great success.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stealth00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:05 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

Regardless, I'm not too sure on what the appeal is, though. They all seem to be standard Disney movie material, so I don't quite know why Frozen is blowing up like it is.

I imagine that the absence of a good musical Disney film in 15-20 years had something to do with it
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:19 am Reply with quote
Stealth00 wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

Regardless, I'm not too sure on what the appeal is, though. They all seem to be standard Disney movie material, so I don't quite know why Frozen is blowing up like it is.

I imagine that the absence of a good musical Disney film in 15-20 years had something to do with it

This might be enlightening for those who truly ponder why this film is popular.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:31 am Reply with quote
I've been told to watch this movie by a few people. The 3 same reasons were given:
- It looks beautiful
- Great soundtrack
- The whole spoiler[girl saves the other girl/sisterly love] angle

But, unfortunately, those 3 points aren't "selling points" for me.

That last point doesn't bother me, in the sense that I don't care about spoilers. They knew that going in, so it is no big deal for me. I know that some people hate being spoiled. I've had things spoiled for me many times, and it doesn't seem to take any of my enjoyment away.

It's great that it has had a lot of success, even in Japan. The thing that I've gotten out of the discussions about Frozen is this - I should check out Tangled. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4