• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 TV Anime Affected by Japanese Censorship

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
Wow this is a very interesting list I've ever seen. Thanks for writing this up. The one got my attention when I was reading it:

Lynzee Lamb of ANN wrote:
Many fans probably haven't heard of Gokujyo, and that might be exactly why so many episodes were cancelled. The 12-episode slapstick comedy had four episode cancelled from television broadcast, reasons included the content "being stupid." It's hard to say whether the broadcaster had no idea what kind of show Gokjyo was, or if it was a gimmick to sell more home video releases.

OK, so this baffle my mind, the reason they cancelled 4 episode because they didn't like the content. Shocked Why they didn't just I don't know delay and re-do the 4 episodes to remove/fix the "too stupid" content found in the original. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
School Days' "Nice Boat" episode and subsequent meme status might be the most well known example of preemptive anime censorship. The final episode of of the dating sim-based harem series was delayed for about a week after a real-life ax murder took place in Kyoto. The crime would also cause delays to Higurashi no Koro ni Kai.

School Days wasn't just delayed. Most of the networks broadcasting it chose not to air the final episode and just aired the Nice Boat episode as a replacement for it. AT-X was the only one that aired the episode, albeit in an edited format to alter or cut out bits to the infamous moments that took place in said final episode. Higurashi Kai also winded up having a number of its broadcasters can airing of the remainder of the series thanks to the mentioned real-life events.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ghost Stories Well known for its wacky dub, Ghost Stories had an entire episode pulled and subsequently vaulted thanks to concerned individuals. The comedic supernatural series had an episode depicting a Kuchisake-Onna (slit-mouthed woman) that never aired nor was it released on home video. Supposedly, people took issue that the Kuchisake-Onna was insensitive to those with cleft palate.

Huh? That sounds like bogus reason to me, mostly cause its really ridiculous.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:47 am Reply with quote
I did not know about the Ghost Stories episode being pulled.
It is really too bad that ADV did not get it. The gag dub could have done some interesting things with the slit-mouthed woman.
(EDIT: Corrected the name of the studio.)

For the new poll I chose Maka Albarn of Soul Eater.
I actually like Eri Sawachika more, but I do not think of her as a heroine.

Last edited by Touma on Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
toyNN

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:48 am Reply with quote
The list makes me think about anime COPPELION (2013) that had originally been announced in 2010 but delayed due to the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and subsequent meltdown at Fukushima nuclear power plant. The original manga by Tomonori Inoue is set in a post apocalyptic Tokyo that was devastated by a nuclear power plant meltdown. I don't know how much of the story got revised for the anime or if was left pretty much as-is.
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Jokes aside I wonder why they chose to put a nice boat and not a reair of a previous episode.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Jokes aside I wonder why they chose to put a nice boat and not a reair of a previous episode.

Hmm, good question.
BinBouGami1234

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Why were Isaac and Maria listed twice in the previous poll? Also, I'm really surprised to see Samurai Flamenco so high up, didn't realize so many people suffered through that awful series.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
BinBouGami1234 wrote:
Why were Isaac and Maria listed twice in the previous poll?

When a list gets that long and anybody can add to it duplicates are almost inevitable.
In this case the entries were different. One uses the last names and the other does not. So anybody checking for duplicates could have easily missed that.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I do wish Crunchyroll could afford to do more of the AT-X versions of their fan service simulcasts since I feel cheated in that I am paying a monthly subscription and expect they do the same for the subscribers. While I do know that often a simulcast fan service title might get DVD/BD releases, when they don't, I do see why fans for wanting to watch the uncensored fansubs.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I do wish Crunchyroll could afford to do more of the AT-X versions of their fan service simulcasts since I feel cheated in that I am paying a monthly subscription and expect they do the same for the subscribers. While I do know that often a simulcast fan service title might get DVD/BD releases, when they don't, I do see why fans for wanting to watch the uncensored fansubs.

I can see Funimation airing AT-X versions of certain anime if they had a chance to get them for obvious reasons.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
speaking of nice boat's, has anyone bought the school day's dvd set from discotek yet??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dfens

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Also one episode for Full Metal Panic Fummofu the 2nd season was not aired and only appeared on the home video release in Japan/NA in which Sousuke kidnaps a young elementary school student who is the brother of the leader of the gang as a hostage to bargain the release for Chidori when she is kidnapped by a local gang of thugs. At the time in Japan their was a few elementary school kids kidnapped and attacked at the time so they didn't want to upset parents etc. I remember they started selling like hot cakes these little buzzers that kids would pull that make a ton of noise to alert adults they are being attacked and are in danger.

As for Coppelion they also did 2 edits to the show, for broadcast. The first they removed all references spoken that the disaster was from a nuclear accident and the second was all the Coppelion students jackets had a orange patch of the radiation/nuclear symbol removed and all that was left was the orange patch with no symbol on their jackets.

Last edited by Dfens on Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
consignia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure that Excel Saga fell foul of Japanese censorship, more that the final episode was always intended to be home video only and they used that the not being shown on TV as a theme, like every episode before was themed.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop had similar issues with episodes being pulled from what I recall. Only half it's episodes aired or something.

Pocket Monsters seems to get an episode every series banned because it lines up with a natural disaster. Episodes about boat wrecks or tsunamis.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5