• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - One Pound Gospel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Cool to see OPG appear on HoTM. I'm not exactly well-versed in Rumiko Takahashi by any means, but I definitely loved reading this manga. Great characters, a quaint concept, and even the boxing matches themselves work out well. The OVA is likewise really well done & well worth a re-release.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I always wanted to see what the anime was about when it was first available. I didn't know there was a book until later. I'll admit that these are among Takahashi's kinder stories. In a way it's like night and dark when compared to Ranma or Urusei Yatsura, which only had a few volumes published I think. It's always good to see some of her early work.
zztop

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I read an article dating from 2008 that Takahashi Rumiko is one of the more affluent manga artists in Japan. How true is this, and does this still apply to her now?

I've also heard that the majority of her long-running works usually become popular best-sellers in Japan, an interesting fact considering that other mangaka tend to struggle to replicate the success of a previous works of theirs.
What gives her an advantage in this area?
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
I read an article dating from 2008 that Takahashi Rumiko is one of the more affluent manga artists in Japan. How true is this, and does this still apply to her now?

I have read a lot of things that indicate that she is one of the richest women in Japan. I have not seen anything that contradicts that, but I have not looked for anything either.
There are probably very few people who actually know how true that is, and they are probably not talking.

Quote:
I've also heard that the majority of her long-running works usually become popular best-sellers ...,
What gives her an advantage in this area?

Her talent.
A lot of people, including me, like what she does.
She has been doing it for 35 years, or more. I think that she has always been popular, so she has had time to accumulate quite a lot of money.

She also gets some money from all of the anime, and other things, that is based on her manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
uraniabce

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to this. Only 4 volumes is a heck of a lot easier to collect than the endless volumes of her other series. Very Happy
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:

It's true; she was. Every year the Japanese National Tax Administration Agency releases a list of the highest income tax payers in Japan. From there, people can estimate how much income. For a long time, Takahashi was the top mangaka every year.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2002-06-04/how-much-do-manga-ka-make

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2004-05-24/top-japanese-tax-payers-in-anime-and-manga

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2005-06-02/japanese-top-tax-payers
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1