• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Hop, Skip, and a Beat

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corinthian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
City Hall sounds awesome. It's a shame that licensing French comics isn't much of a thing, aside from the odd artsy one offs.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
I must admit that Girl May Kill is a MUST READ! It is entertaining and a bit of a page turner. Even more, I have no idea where the story is headed at this point, which is a pleasant surprise in a world full of predictable stories.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote
Even though it is not in the article it is nice to see a mention of Dream Saga. I really enjoy that series and have read it twice.

I have not read any of the titles that are in the article so I really appreciate getting information and opinions about them.

The only thing that has kept me from trying Skip Beat is the length.
I just cannot motivate myself to get involved in another long series that has no end in sight.
I am already reading Fairy Tail, Soul Eater and Kamisama Kiss, and that is enough for now. If at least one of those has a conclusion sometime in the near future then Skip Beat might be the next long series that I try.

I have already determined that Btoom! and Terra Formars are not right for me, but I am giving some consideration to Say I Love You.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Girl May Kill has been a wonderful surprise. The cartoony artwork was a little off-putting at first, but once the story kicked in, I didn't care. The obvious comparison is to Gangsta, but while that series has better artwork and more dynamic action sequences, the characters haven't clicked with me on an emotional level the way Gohongi and Mei have. There's also a sense of impending tragedy in GMK that Gangsta is missing -- I can see Nic and Worick dying at the end, but only as badass heroes doing heroic things, whereas GMK could very well end with everyone getting squashed for no good reason.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
The only thing that has kept me from trying Skip Beat is the length.
I just cannot motivate myself to get involved in another long series that has no end in sight.
I am already reading Fairy Tail, Soul Eater and Kamisama Kiss, and that is enough for now. If at least one of those has a conclusion sometime in the near future then Skip Beat might be the next long series that I try.

I believe Soul Eater is ending with volume 25 in the spring.
lys

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, Dream Saga! I never read it, but I was thinking of it just a couple days ago, while packing Saint Tail into one of an infinite number of boxes of books, for my own upcoming move (I'm up to 13 boxes so far of just manga, and I'm not yet halfway done! And then there's the children's book and antique book collections...!!!) Would you be willing to elaborate a bit on why it was good? I loved Saint Tail when it first came out here, and hoped TP would get more of the artist's work, but then by the time they did I'd gotten distracted with other things... (like shounen jump manga. sigh. i've since returned to the warm and sparkling embrace of shoujo, but there are still things I missed!)

I found the latest Skip Beat! as addictive and thrilling as ever—I've gotten used to most of the action being internal monologues and the like, and after the previous book's "WHAT?!" ending (followed immediately by "Ooh, how lucky I have the issue of Hana to Yume with the next chapter..." to slightly tide me over/raise more questions) it was good to get a fuller picture of what's going on in Kyoko's mind. She's such an awesome lady!! I'm hoping all the best for her :D

As for Voice Over! and Senri vs Mizuki, I think I've been looking at it as cats vs glasses... and as much as I love both, cats must win every time. So. That's as deep as my reasoning goes with this series.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote
@Touma
Normally I also have problems with long running manga. However with Skip Beatthe only problem I have is that it doesn't come out fast enough. Seriously, just pick up the first omnibus and read it. Then see if you can stop. Laughing I've read five volume series that were harder to get through.

I agree with Rebecca that the current volume is more tense than usual but it had to be at sometime. I just hope it isn't reaching the end.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

Soul Eater ended at volume 25. YenPress will be releasing 24 in January, 2015. So, the last volume may be out around March-April 2015.

Ah, nice to hear Say I Love You is still doing well. Now to wait for it to arrive so I can have a read of it. Laughing

Also, this is good:
Quote:
There's also less of a margin issue with this book than previous Kodansha releases.

Hope that this will be a trend, and not a one off. Too many times I've struggled to read some speech bubbles due to there being little to no margin in Kodansha USA releases!
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
While I enjoyed the anime of Say I Love You well enough, it wasn't a favourite of mine - but I am intrigued to hear about the differences between it and the original manga. I might have to check volume 1 out.

And wow, I didn't realize Skip Beat! had that many volumes. IIRC, the first chapter was features in Shojo Beat magazine, when it still existed, and while it interested me, I wasn't grabbed enough to pick up the series. I watched a bit of the anime too, though never finished for some reason. Not sure if I want to get started on a series of that length but it's definitely one that continually pops up on my radar.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
To me, reading Skip Beat is like taking a bite of something and suddenly realizing you have eaten the whole thing. The only difference is that instead of being full, you simply crave more.

The Skip Beat anime is still available on Cruchyroll.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
I believe Soul Eater is ending with volume 25 in the spring.

Ali07 wrote:
Soul Eater ended at volume 25. YenPress will be releasing 24 in January, 2015. So, the last volume may be out around March-April 2015.

Thank you for that information.
Since the end of Soul Eater is in sight I think that I will try Skip Beat as soon as I can get the first volume.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:17 am Reply with quote
Verne and Sherlock Holmes? Well, let's start 20,000 Leagues Under the Hound of the Baskervilles.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:18 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
The Skip Beat anime is still available on Cruchyroll.

Yes, it's in my queue, especially since I didn't have a particular reason why I stopped watching it, other than it just sort of got away from me - probably a bit of burn-out that led to me not watching anything for awhile.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I HAVE to read City Hall. Sounds like it would be something I'd like.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:38 am Reply with quote
And I thought the Japanese had weird ideas for comics. Both Arthur Conan Doyle and Jules Verne as superheroes? With Amelia Earhart along for the ride? That's utterly bizarre on the face of it. As for "Voice Actor! Seiyu Academy,"I sometimes wonder we'll ever see a character that wants to be a voice actress in both Japanese and American cartoons? I'd love that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1