• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online II Anime to Cover Calibur, Mother's Rosary Arcs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mirri

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
Had discussed with friends at length whether the second half would be Calibur or Mother's Rosario.

We all agreed that Mother's Rosario would probably be better overall, it'd be Calibur because more ::action::.

I guess we get both! Hooray.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
Well this news doesn't surprise me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
Holy cow, I didn't realize that they were continuing with SAOII. Now, I know that Mother's Rosario is one of people's favorite arcs in SAO. When I first read the novel it moved me to tears in the end, I hope they can deliver the same atmosphere in the anime.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:09 am Reply with quote
I always figured that's what they were going to do. Nice to have confirmation.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
Well, count me as hyped. I still hate recap episodes though. I liked Extra Edition because of the movie format and the added footage but I'm not a fan of this format.

Although I'm very happy to hear Haruka Tomatsu is doing the OP along with LiSA returning for the ED

Last edited by SquadmemberRitsu on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised they're wasting one episode on a recap episode instead of getting an extra episode for Calibur.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:19 am Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
I'm surprised they're wasting one episode on a recap episode instead of getting an extra episode for Calibur.

Similar to how they do fillers for manga-based anime, you can blame the Japanese staff for that decision.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
Oh, I thought this was only like 13 episodes long. And only focused on Gun Gale Online.
chronos02

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
Excited for this, Mother's Rosario is one of my fav arcs in the LNs.

Btw, type in the title of the news post, it's "Mother's Rosario", not "Mother's Rosary"
Shiggity

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
Hmm I've been slacking behind with SAO II, as in I've not started it yet. lol. I guess I'll pick it up and start watching/catching up.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:

It's 14.5, not 15, so it's not using up one of the total 24 episodes.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:47 am Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
Btw, type in the title of the news post, it's "Mother's Rosario", not "Mother's Rosary"

Did you watch the video? 7 seconds in, it says "Mother's Rosary" in English, before superimposing マザーズ•ロザリオ over the top of it. They're using the official English spelling, while noting the Japanese in parenthesis.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
chronos02 wrote:

Did you watch the video? 7 seconds in, it says "Mother's Rosary" in English, before superimposing マザーズ•ロザリオ over the top of it. They're using the official English spelling, while noting the Japanese in parenthesis.

Or:

mazāzu • rozario

lol
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
So I spent 10 seconds working out the math. It'll be 3 episodes for Calibur while the remaining 7 will be Mother's Rosary/Rosario or whatever it's supposed to be called.

If there's no delays, the final episode with air on December 20.

Jayhosh wrote:
Oh, I thought this was only like 13 episodes long. And only focused on Gun Gale Online.
It was said to be 24 episodes all along
chronos02

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
chronos02 wrote:

Well, though I did watch the video, I believe that's one of the usual typos Japenese do in their official english translations, moreso in this case, since the katakana clearly says "Maza-zu Rozario", which comes from "Mother's" and "Rosario", not "Rosary"; if it did come from "Rosary" it would've been written as "Rozari" or "ロザリ".

Blame this on the belief things need to be "adapted" like I do; or in how little care many JP companies put into translating things "a la FFVII". Some things need to be corrected when JP add some english things within the anime as is, but not when a name is there. The same happens with people's names, if you've been named "James", your name is "James" here and in the friggin south pole, not "Juan" or whatever. I don't think Kawahara Reki did those translations nor did the anime production company contact him to supervise them.

I may be hard headed, but I've seen my fair share of JP made english translations, and no, they're not good. So, I still trust my translation skills for simple katakana, accumulated for more than 10 years. Mother's Rosario for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2