• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Cult Classics

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Octulus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by Octulus on Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Dead Leaves is the closest thing I've ever seen to xkcd's ideal of a real action movie.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
You seem to have forgotten the anime which is the reason Gurren Lagaan exists: Birth, Aka Planet Busters, AKA Legend of the Talisman. Cool Also, what the hell? No love for Robot Carnival or Angel's Egg?
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Goof choices but Cleopatra(the original version especially) is just a mess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I'm reading a post in the Most Aesthetically Daring Tournament Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kamiikazeheart

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Great article! Super excited to see Belladonna. Oh, and count me as another person who loved Redline. Another anime film that didn't do well upon its theatrical release, but has since developed some what of a cult following is Angel's Egg. I would love to see that released on DVD in the US.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Belladonna yet, but I loved the other two for their wacky sexual nature.

kamiikazeheart wrote:
Oh, and count me as another person who loved Redline. Another anime film that didn't do well upon its theatrical release, but has since developed some what of a cult following is Angel's Egg. I would love to see that released on DVD in the US.

It's not like Redline's unpopular among non-Japanese, it found its fanbase before it even came out to festival screens in and had mountains of hype before the 2011 BD release in August and it's likely the single reason anyone watched Tailenders. For Angel's Egg it's hard to judge the love for that since it's been a known title in American fandom for a long while and it's always been widely available.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
kamiikazeheart wrote:
... Another anime film that didn't do well upon its theatrical release, but has since developed some what of a cult following is Angel's Egg. I would love to see that released on DVD in the US.

Angel's Egg was licensed in 2002 by Anchor Entertainment for DVD-release in US. However it's been dead silent since then, so not sure they even have that license anymore. Its current owner is Starz Distribution, which also has Manga Entertainment under its umbrella.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Angel's Egg has like four lines of dialogue that aren't copy+pasted from the Bible, and they're all "あなたはだあれ" ("Who are you?").

Just buy the Japanese Blu-ray. It's not region-locked, as far as I've been able to tell.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
huh, oddly I was just flipping through some movies and revisted a clip from Cleopatra. Kinda a thing I do on days off, just revisit funny or great scenes while dinner cooks. Don't think I ever actually sat down and watched it start to finish though.
DRWii

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I've actually watched all five of the titles covered. I find that odd for some reason.

"Belladonna" and "Dead Leaves" are probably the ones I had the most positive reaction too, if only because I probably went into them with the right expectations. And even then, I didn't feel like watching the latter again (though I loved "Panty & Stocking" and "Kill la Kill" so much I'm reconsidering). If nothing else, I think it's cool that a movie 42 years old could get licensed; I hope it does well for Cinelicious.

"Redline" had awesome visuals, but it spent way too much time on the characters and not enough on the racing. Wasn't really impressed with "Mind Game," but I tend to have middling opinions of Yuasa's stuff (except "Tatami Galaxy," which is pretty good).

I really, really wanted to like "Hells," but the last half-hour or so just killed that movie for me. Such a shame.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Angel's Egg was licensed in 2002 by Anchor Entertainment for DVD-release in US. However it's been dead silent since then, so not sure they even have that license anymore. Its current owner is Starz Distribution, which also has Manga Entertainment under its umbrella.

Anchor got Warriors of the Wind and the Roger Corman version of Egg (with the live-action bits) from acquiring New World's catalog.

And, since this was back in the '99-'01 days of Disney's post-Mononoke Ghibli Embargo--and all the fans were petitioning good, independent Criterion to release Kiki (snicker!)--Anchor thought they'd side with the fans, thumb their nose at the Mouse and said, "We're going to release the bilingual versions!"
Ghibli tersely said otherwise on Nausicaa/Warriors, and guess that cooled Anchor's plans for Angel's Egg as well.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Funny, I was unaware that anybody actually liked "Dead Leaves," and this is coming from somebody who thoroughly enjoyed "Panty and Stocking" and "Kill La Kill." To me, it was kind of a celebration of unbridled tastelessness with no substance and a style that felt as if it was trying too hard to be "edgy" or "cool." It's been a while since I've seen it, though, so maybe I'll have to give another go.

Despite my apprehensiveness towards the rape in the narrative, "Belladonna" has always sounded like something I'd enjoy, and to be honest, I fairly shocked that it's getting a limited theatrical run in 2014. Hopefully it comes to my area and I'm able to appreciate the visuals on the big screen, as it seems like one of those works that would benefit from that sort of presentation.

Also, I really wish "The Humanoid" had a cult following (random thought, I know.) Everybody I've shown it to has cracked up and quoted it religiously since, on account of how godawful and cheesy it is. It's probably the best "bad anime" I've seen.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Funny, I was unaware that anybody actually liked "Dead Leaves," and this is coming from somebody who thoroughly enjoyed "Panty and Stocking" and "Kill La Kill." To me, it was kind of a celebration of unbridled tastelessness with no substance and a style that felt as if it was trying too hard to be "edgy" or "cool."

I'll take Dead Leaves over Kill La Kill which was trying to hard to be cool, too little to be a story and not at all to be animation.

"Unbridled tastelessness"? Oh yeah, that's the one that has the mother spoiler[****] her daughter, how could I forget that scene?
D-Rock

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Dead Leaves is, in my most humble opinion, a piece of horse sh!t. I hated that anime so god d@mn much. It was the worst anime I have EVER seen. I've seen a TON of anime, but nothing was as bad as that huge pile of manure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3