• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Battle of the Planets/Gatchaman Gets Reboot by Beyblade Team

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:00 pm Reply with quote
2017? Lol, that's going to be a long wait.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
No offense to these guys but most western involved attempts at rebooting classic anime franchises have ended very, very badly (and this is coming from someone who likes western animation). This could be something interesting if it actually ends up using 2D animation but that artstyle looks like it's just asking to be flash animated. Hope I'm wrong
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
No offense to these guys but most western involved attempts at rebooting classic anime franchises have ended very, very badly

I echo this statement. I also find it a bad sign they're using the title Battle of the Planets instead of Gatchaman. To me that is a sign this is a simple nostalgia cash in. Disappointed this looks to be more Robotech-style milking.

I also dislike the use of possible Flash/CG in this, given Canadian animation is generally very cheap looking. I'm reminded of that Speed Racer reboot cartoon Nickelodeon aired years ago.
Drac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
That teaser image looks terribly bland making all that crap about "updating the franchise for today's audiences" even more contrived.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Divineking wrote:
No offense to these guys but most western involved attempts at rebooting classic anime franchises have ended very, very badly

I echo this statement. I also find it a bad sign they're using the title Battle of the Planets instead of Gatchaman. To me that is a sign this is a simple nostalgia cash in. Disappointed this looks to be more Robotech-style milking.

I also dislike the use of possible Flash/CG in this, given Canadian animation is generally very cheap looking. I'm reminded of that Speed Racer reboot cartoon Nickelodeon aired years ago.

At least this actually looks like "Gatchaman," unlike that "Tiger and Bunny" ripoff we got last year.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Since it's a Battle of the Planets remake, will that stupid robot be in there and Jinpei talk with beeps and boops?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:41 am Reply with quote
So does this mean Crowds is getting kicked aside?
stararnold

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I doubt it as Gatchaman Crowds will probably be distributed in North America by a separate company.

Anyway, this is good news for long-time fans of the original Gatchaman and/or its 1978 edited-for-American-television version Battle of the Planets) as well as Gatchaman fans who may not dig Gatchaman Crowds and North American audiences still disappointed about Imagi's decision to abandon its plans to do a Gatchaman movie. Plus, this upcoming Canadian show will mean a first exposure to the world of Gatchaman for the Canada-based non-anime fans, although it will have its own continuity.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:07 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

No? This is mostly a Canadian production. I doubt it has any bearing whatsoever on Crowds.
Jajanken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:13 am Reply with quote
Crowds is WAY better than this reboot junk.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:21 am Reply with quote
Jajanken wrote:
Crowds is WAY better than this reboot junk.

Because you've seen the new reboot oh wait. Anyways Crowds itself wasn't all that great honestly.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:27 am Reply with quote
He looks like a EVA.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:30 am Reply with quote
No body wants this. Don't waste your time. Economics 101, come on. Who demanded this? Bad decisions.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:05 am Reply with quote
Ugh, that teaser image looks awful. No thanks, I'll stick to the old shows and Crowds.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
grouwl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyway, this is good news for long-time fans of the original Gatchaman and/or its 1978 edited-for-American-television version Battle of the Planets) as well as Gatchaman fans

No, It's not. You want to give me Gatchaman? get me exactly what I loved back then, not what it's cool right now. Sailor moon looks the same, Eva look the same, even the DBZ new movies Goku IS Goku, as we remembered him from the TV show.

Gatchaman has been my favorite for decades and not the OVA, the live action or the so called "crowds" has been able to fill my hunger for a decent adaptation.

perhaps, I should stick with the tv show, only person that has been able to remake Gatchaman successfully has been Alex Ross.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2