• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Princess Kaguya Wins APSA, But Not Nominated for Golden Globes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Congrats for winning the APSA, but a little sad it didn't make the Golden Globes. I don't expect this to make it on the Oscars. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NateSelwyn25

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:18 am Reply with quote
Meh. Hollywood award ceremonies are nothing but political-based egotistical back-scratching. True lovers of cinema will recognize "Kaguya-hime" for what it is.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:42 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Congrats for winning the APSA, but a little sad it didn't make the Golden Globes. I don't expect this to make it on the Oscars. Sad

The GG's tend to be a little confused about what gets classified as a "Foreign film"--They don't tend to see a foreign animated as being classifiable for both. The rules have been changed this year, but unless there's some wide exhibition, this isn't the year.
The Oscars have a different qualification system, which means Kaguya could have a symbolic "art" slot for Best Animated, but the Globes are pretty unreliable when it comes to anything non-mainstream.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:08 am Reply with quote
NateSelwyn25 wrote:
Meh. Hollywood award ceremonies are nothing but political-based egotistical back-scratching. True lovers of cinema will recognize "Kaguya-hime" for what it is.

The hypocrysy meter just went off the scale.
If anime is not recognised by Hollywood then "bad americans", if it is it's nothing but political based back scratching. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:20 am Reply with quote
And if it were recognized by Hollywood... "Oh finally they're taking notice, now these award ceremonies mean something."

Fairweather award ceremony fans.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
It's not that I think that Kaguya getting an academy award nomination will make the Oscars mean something, it's that if it does get nominated then that means hopefully more mainstream exposure and popularity for the film will follow. I only want more people to see the film because it deserves that much.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
And if it were recognized by Hollywood... "Oh finally they're taking notice, now these award ceremonies mean something."

Fairweather award ceremony fans.

There's no pleasing some people. You know that. I'll just wait and see if it even gets nominated for gold man or not. It won't win obviously but it would be nice if it at least got the customary inclusion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1