• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gakkyu Hotei Joins Viz's Shonen Jump as Weekly Series

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Definitely an expected pick, but one I'm definitely happy about. Of the three Jump Start series this quarter, Gakkyu Hotei was the only one with any real staying power. Table Tennis of Ageha was sometimes amusing, but clearly its gimmick was gonna be short lived, and E-Robot was only entertaining in how stupid and lacking in self-awareness it was.

Plus neither of them had this:

FireballDragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
When I first heard of this manga, it seemed to be like the lovechild of Ace Attorney and Dangan Ronpa. Upon reading it, my suspicious were confirmed. And that's not bad at all!
Hmph!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, the debut chapter does not impress me much. The premise and characters are gimmicky (their zanyness feels kinda forced) and the plot is a jumble of mess. Good thing it has Takeshi Obata's name branded on it or I don't think many people will have any expectation on it. Let's see if it won't end up like Blue Dragon Ral Grado.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:40 am Reply with quote
I haven't had a chance to read this yet, but I would have liked to have seen Takujo no Ageha make the cut to add some sports flare to WSJ.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:59 am Reply with quote
It's stupid, but the art is gorgeous and it's consistently funny, so I'm glad it got picked up. I liked the table tennis one too though. The other options this fun were dire though. That e-robot one was just terrifying.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I haven't had a chance to read this yet, but I would have liked to have seen Takujo no Ageha make the cut to add some sports flare to WSJ.

Yeah, there was no survey for this Jump Start--Gakkyu Hotei just got selected, just like that. At least, no survey after all three series went three chapters in, which was when I would then go vote. I wanted Ageha in there too.

E-Robot was just embarrassing though. Is that what a WSJ fanservice series is normally like?
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Yeah, there was no survey for this Jump Start--Gakkyu Hotei just got selected, just like that. At least, no survey after all three series went three chapters in, which was when I would then go vote. I wanted Ageha in there too.

E-Robot was just embarrassing though. Is that what a WSJ fanservice series is normally like?

I was looking for a survey this week so I could vote, but I guess Gakkyu Hotei was already chosen behind the scenes. Disappointing that they didn't have a vote again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1