• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The ANNCast Holiday Special 2014

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah... Zankyou no Terror... what poor writing. The nuke...

And their whole reasoning, it was so stupid.

Lisa was cute. At least they have that going for them. Yes, my favorite part of this show ended up being the moe-filler character.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Oh god I love Ozu and Late Spring.

Zac you heathen! Wink

Listening to the podcast now and had to comment.

Edit: that response was of course tounge in cheek. I am glad Zac gave the film a chance and even more glad Ozu was discussed on Anncast. I can understand his films are not going to be for everyone.

In some ways I actually think his most accessible film might be "I was Born But". It's just a really fun film. Of course it's silent but I think it is one of the easiest silent films to get into (it was remade as a talking picture called Good Morning but I have not watched that yet so I don't know if it's as good).

It's basically about these two young boys who learn their father isn't what they first thought.

Also going back to Late Spring from what I understand the actress who plays Noriko (Setsuko Hara) was the inspiration for the female character in Satoshi Kon's Millenium Actress. So there's the anime connection.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Terror in Resonance had such great pedigree, an intresting premise, and even some decent storytelling here and there, but I sort of lost interest after a while. I loved the riddles and some of the intrigue, but I didn't like the prop girl with her forced "crazy mom at home" storyline. After the airport episode, I just kind of tuned out. It looks excellent, visually, and sounds pretty good, too. But as Zac and Justin mentioned, it's been done better elsewhere.

I defend the riddle thing because even if you figure out the answer to the riddle, you still have to figuring out how it applies to the plans.

The conceit actually almost sounds like GitS: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society, where the actual main villain is using abused and ignored children to work for his right wing agenda, hijacking the Puppeteer's own plans to help them and the noble rot elderly.

Wait, what does Miyazaki have to lose at this point by having a movie with a liberal message at the end? The guy's in his eighties, what are they going to do?

The guy who wrote the Arslan books was the same brilliant writer who wrote the original Legend of the Galactic Heroes novels. You're doing yourself a big disservice by not watching more LoGH. His other output is a mixed bag, though. Ryoko's Case File, if I judge it by the anime from some years back, was pretty interesting, but ultimately fell through the cracks. Tytania is obviously crap. Arslan seems very basic.

Ah, the first Silent Mobius movie. What a snorefest that one is, but I still managed to review it for my Otaku Evolution show.

So, wait. Time of Eve is Bubblegum Crisis without the helicopter explosions and cowlicks? Slice-of-life BGC?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
First off, the Arakawa title that Justin & Zac couldn't fully name was Hero Tales (a.k.a. Jyushin Enbu), though I don't quite get the concept Justin insinuated that "We don't give a damn about this title" = "This title sucks" when he said "If we can't name this show then you know what that means..."; at least, that's how it seemed to me. I can't really judge Hero Tales myself, as I have never seen it, but I know my friend really enjoyed the hell out of it. He admitted that it wasn't anything groundbreaking, but he simply loved the old-school martial arts adventure feel it had. I must admit, that alone has my interest in the show & I'll probably check it out one day.

Interesting to see Zac liking The Humanoid in some way, too. Maybe one day I'll have to buy a DVD of that & check it out myself. As for the complaint that Yoshiki Tanaka is a one-story writer, that's actually the first time I've ever heard anyone say that & then downplay LOGH as being nothing special in the end. Granted, I only saw the first few eps of LOGH, plus the movies & the Golden Wings OVA, but I loved what I saw of it. To be fair, however, the only other Tanaka work I've seen is a few episodes of Tytania... So what do I know?

As for Prince of Egypt, I also love the film, like Zac. I found it to be a great traditionally-animated product, though not with its flaws, and I easily put it up to some of Disney's products of the time. I also really enjoyed Road to El Dorado, which does fix what Justin found to be a major problem with Prince by having its characters be filled with personality. But, then again, I also like Treasure Planet... So what do I know?
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:04 am Reply with quote
Always enjoy these podcasts. Gets me super-excited again about movies and anime.

Yep... hope the next year isn't going to a depressing look at the worst of humanity.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:40 am Reply with quote
This was very enjoyable. And the length only made it better. I was able to make it last through nearly half of my work day! Laughing

Listening to you guys talk about good movies makes me really wish I had better friends, lol. Just kidding! But in all seriousness, I rarely get to see the kinds of movies that I want to see in theaters because most of my friends will never watch anything outside of popular nerd stuff(i.e. super-heroes, Star Wars, etc.). After the Spiderman trilogy from the early 2000s I've been pretty done with all of that junk and would much rather sit down to something like Whiplash or Interstellar. I'm sad to hear that Zac didn't like Theory of Everything, I was really looking forward to it.
I guess I need to get a Netflix mail box subscription again so I can actually watch these movies without having to wait for them to show up streaming, if they ever do.

I really hope both of you guys get a chance to sit down and watch The Tale of Princess Kaguya. It was one of the best anime films I have seen in a very very long time. I'll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:05 am Reply with quote
I agree that Terror In Resonance was poorly written after having watched I felt like "well that was a thing that happened". I was a little confused by Zac's explanation of the Nephilim (the giant rock monsters) in Noah.

I couldn't tell if he was saying Aronofsky's film posited "the fallen angel" theory or if he was saying that's what The Bible taught. As there are (off the top of my head) three or four different interpretations of what they were. I thought the discussion of religious stories in fiction was interesting as well, I haven't seen Prince of Egypt in years liked it as a kid though.

As for Noah I'm of two minds as a person who takes the biblical story of Noah as historically accurate and coming from a internet inspired religious text. I am troubled by what could be perceived as it's sacrilegious tendencies.

That being said I would much rather have a film that isn't woodenly literal to The Bible as source material that provokes thought and discussion about important issues.

Than a glorified Sunday school sermon that doesn't take any of it seriously, I think the bigger question is The Bible as a religious text versus The Bible as Literature.

I'm fine with someone who is not devout or doesn't believe like me. Taking Biblical stories as literary inspiration, yet sometimes I think people on both sides forget that it's not an either/or but a both/and thing when it comes to movie adaptations of The Biblical narrative.

Japanese film is one of my weak points in Japanese culture so I may have to give Ozu a watch the next time my local B&N has a Criterion Collection. While the name of the director that Justin couldn't think of in the special feature on Frances HA was Peter Bogdanovich.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:19 am Reply with quote
Regarding Zac and Justin's commentary about Terror in Resonance, I couldn't help but think back to this early conversation we had about the show in one of the "anticipation" threads before it was released.

May 31, 2014 Pre-release discussion

Not surprisingly, I certainly agree that the terrorism imagery was used primarily for sensationalism and not to actually tell a deep story. The fact that the boys commit numerous terrorist acts and never kill anyone (thus allowing them to remain as heroes) made the show's treatment of the subject matter seem extremely cheap and otaku-pandering.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
A great podcast that managed to also remind me that i'm not just behind on anime, but movies too >.<

Yeah, Birdman was best, although I really need to watch so much more that came out this year.

And hopefully we get some discussion on expelled from paradise next time (which I didn't care for, but is still an interesting project/release to talk about).
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Did Justin only have 2 anime to watch? It sounded like he just watched Terror in Resonance and Time of Eve.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:59 pm Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
Did Justin only have 2 anime to watch? It sounded like he just watched Terror in Resonance and Time of Eve.

The breakdown clearly shows that Justin only had to watch Terror in Resonance.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:03 am Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:

The breakdown clearly shows that Justin only had to watch Terror in Resonance.
I saw that. I was just curious because I thought they usually each do 3 each.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:58 am Reply with quote
Funny. I've heard nothing but bad things about Noa. Zack's recommendations have been pretty good so far, so I might give the movie a shot.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:33 am Reply with quote
@shamisen the great
I think the idea was that an entire season of a TV series was about as much to watch as the three OAVs Justin gave to Zac to watch.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:21 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@shamisen the great
I think the idea was that an entire season of a TV series was about as much to watch as the three OAVs Justin gave to Zac to watch.

Yep - We did the same thing last year, I gave him Watamote.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2