• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei Herz! Slated for Summer 2015

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
No surprise there considering the previous two seasons aired in their summer times.

Still, 3 months without anything Fate related Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Its awesome how we get to see Illya every year now(both Fate and KLP)
kazziyan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Best Illya and best Fate series! can't wait.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, watching Illya in Unlimited Blade Works just wasn't the same after I saw Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya. Not saying Kaleid was bad, but I would prefer not to have the two mixed up... It completely ruins the mood of Unlimited Blade Works every time I see Illya and imagine her in her magical girl transformation. Sorry, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to drop this. I was kind of getting tired of magical girl animes anyway. Besides, the girls in Kaleid are way too young in my opinion. It becomes hard for me to continue watching when the fanservice is of girls that look like they're still in elementary school...
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:55 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
It becomes hard for me to continue watching when the fanservice is of girls that look like they're still in elementary school...

This is about the same reason some people drop Cross Ange, the fanservice makes them feel aroused and therefore guilty. I have got some hearty laughs out Kaleid Prisma so called fanservice scenes, the latest special (2wei #4) is a good example.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:32 am Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
Sorry, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to drop this. I was kind of getting tired of magical girl animes anyway.
Prisma Illya is a very sub par Magical Girl series.

Also, who are you even apologising to?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:40 am Reply with quote
I don't think people should be complaining about want to have more Fate/stay-related anime series when the current episode count is an overall 80+.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:04 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
_Cyphon_ wrote:
Sorry, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to drop this. I was kind of getting tired of magical girl animes anyway.
Prisma Illya is a very sub par Magical Girl series.

Also, who are you even apologising to?

Why, the series of course. Although I would very happily support the series, it's content leads to me dropping it. Every fan makes a difference, and I sadly say that I am now not one of them.
FLAZE35

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
This is about the same reason some people drop Cross Ange, the fanservice makes them feel aroused and therefore guilty.

I thought it was because everyone got super offended over the first two or three episodes?

Also, I don't see why one would/should feel guilt, as long as one clearly separates anime and reality...Maybe I've just gotten too used to seeing this kind of stuff.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
FLAZE35 wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
This is about the same reason some people drop Cross Ange, the fanservice makes them feel aroused and therefore guilty.

I thought it was because everyone got super offended over the first two or three episodes?

The people that got offended over the swift surgical implant (without anesthetics) and the attempted yuri rape in cross ange would also get offended at the forceful yuri from kuro in the first episodes of 2wei.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
this show is a guilty pleasure and i mean i feel really guilty about liking this show, which i do alot for the action the fanservice... yeah its too much.

honestly theres so much fanservice in this show thats its hard for anyone who isnt a hardcore otaku to even try to sit through it and its a real shame cause watching the fight scenes with kuro and the other characters are incredibly entertaining.

problem is it only happens after like 5 hours of elementary girl fanservice and that would put you off the show if you arent into that because of how much they stuff it into your face.

if it were like madoka which had alot of subtle hints to something darker under the surface id be alright but the majority of the fanservice is there for just that fanservice. a little bit is manageable but this show sadly pushes the limits and as a result alienates itself from anything larger than a cult fanbase
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
this show is a guilty pleasure and i mean i feel really guilty about liking this show, which i do alot for the action the fanservice... yeah its too much.

honestly theres so much fanservice in this show thats its hard for anyone who isnt a hardcore otaku to even try to sit through it and its a real shame cause watching the fight scenes with kuro and the other characters are incredibly entertaining.

problem is it only happens after like 5 hours of elementary girl fanservice and that would put you off the show if you arent into that because of how much they stuff it into your face.

if it were like madoka which had alot of subtle hints to something darker under the surface id be alright but the majority of the fanservice is there for just that fanservice. a little bit is manageable but this show sadly pushes the limits and as a result alienates itself from anything larger than a cult fanbase

I know exactly what your talking about. The fight scenes in Kaleid are so amazing, even better than some action anime out there (which is kind of sad since this is a magical girl show). If only they would take out the underaged fanservice or at least make the characters a bit more grown up. When I watch fanservice in regular ecchi shows showing high school students, I don't usually feel too guilty for that. I mean, come on, high school students in real life in the modern age are MUCH worse. So my male side enjoys it while my moral side generally leaves my thoughts alone unless the fanservice becomes ridiculous. However, when showing the underwear of elementary school girls, even my male side doesn't feel enjoyment from it, much less my moral side. Like, it is screaming in my mind, "THIS IS NOT RIGHT." They're only in elementary school, guys... so cute and innocent... they should not be exposed with nudity and arousing sexual feelings in the audience.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:53 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
honestly theres so much fanservice in this show thats its hard for anyone who isnt a hardcore otaku to even try to sit through it

Maybe I am what people call a hardcore otaku, don't know what is the exact definition. But I know that just as I have been desensitized from fictional violence by western media (I think brutality would be a more fitting term), I forgot when was the last time I felt ashamed by mere fanservice (hentai is different, I see so little since nowadays it is so boring, so I am far from being desensitized to that).

Calsolum wrote:
a little bit is manageable but this show sadly pushes the limits and as a result alienates itself from anything larger than a cult fanbase

On the other hand, I think quite the opposite. The reason this show (as well as cross ange) is popular is because it is not afraid to push the limits. I don't remember them (wait, I think Sakura Trick fits the description) but I have seen animes that have been apologetic about fanservice or violence or whatever and they were neither popular nor successful. Taking a cue from bakemonogatari "If you are going to be something, be a medicine, otherwise be a poison, anything else you are just being water".

Of course this show is not easy to market in the USA (wonder if they will throw someone into the slammer for owning the discs), but you need to be successful in japan first and then overseas to be an economically sustainable franchise (my bet is that 3drei will also be animated), I have yet to hear of the opposite happening in the 21st century.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:59 am Reply with quote
@mangamuscle

Lol the west is funny like that they can't tolerate things with obsessive fanservice from a foreign country but stuff like torture and general mass murder in movies produced from the west are fine and constantly produced .
It's large hypocrisy but it's something that is very to change because well ... I have no clue how to start.

I am certain this show shot itself in the leg with its obsessive fanservice or at least from the very beginning never intended to be produced for a 'wider' audience. I'm pretty young but old enough to work, I have Co workers that watch anime sometimes as hobby, if I asked them to watch fate/kalied the next day they'd probably start avoiding me and start whispering behind my back... Probably
If it weren't so oversaturated with little girls then I could easily recommended it to them and keep my reputation. And that's what it boils down to for me, I have to put my future interests first, which is keeping friendly relations with my co workers. Of course if you i friends who liked this stuff it'd be different but sadly I don't and the ones I have dislike this kind of fanservice a great deal. And I think a situation where you have coworkers/friends who look down on this content is more common than the opposite, hence why I think the excessive fanservice was an incredibly poor choice. The creators should have just made hentai doujins or anime if they wanted to do this.
Its very true that a show needs to be successful in their native country first, but if you make it with content that's 'acceptable' only in your native country expect it to shock your overseas audience in this case it's in a bad way. And you don't have to go to any extremes to be good, it only makes it memorable for good or bad will be determined by the audience.

I haven't heard of cross Ange or sakura tick but they sound interesting to say the least
atram151

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I am certain this show shot itself in the leg with its obsessive fanservice or at least from the very beginning never intended to be produced for a 'wider' audience.

This is the magical girl/SOL spinoff of a ero VN, it was always a niche thing. All of the material that has been animated so far was written between 2007-2011 and the studio hasn't put in any fanservice that wasn't also present in the manga and in some case has toned it down.
It was probably never expected to be anything more than a small time manga, which it still is, but Fate is a popular title especially after Zero and the then rumors of a new Stay/Night, thus it gets animated as well.

I personally don't find the fanservice nearly as obtrusive as you make out to be, but it really has no effect on me either way. I watch for the Fate series and the action which in the manga currently rivals the parts of the original series, but that won't be shown till 2016 at the earliest. Assuming they keep making it, and there is no indication they would stop.

Again, not trying to change any opinions or deny any criticisms, just give some background on the series.
Its a 7-year old niche, spinoff Fateservice manga of the popular ero VN presented just as it was written years ago, fanservice and all, that sells well enough to keep be made, and I for one couldn't be more excited.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2