• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Animator Lists New Gegege no Kitarō TV Project

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:30 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't be surprised if they did make a new Gegege no Kitaro series given how huge Youkai Watch is. I suppose GnK wants to try to take back it's crown as the most popular youkai series.
grooven

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:34 am Reply with quote
Aw yeah son!! But medama oyaji original voice actor died. i wonder what the voice replacement will sound like.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:38 am Reply with quote
They usually change VA's between series, but this is the first time they'll have to replace Isamu Tanonaka. He's been constant since 1968. Not to mention Nezumi-Otoko's VA passed last week.

Also with this there will be one series for 6 decades.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:34 am Reply with quote
Man this series has been rebooted a lot.
Jex2193

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:01 am Reply with quote
I've only ever seen part of the '07 series, but I enjoyed what I saw. Not to mention I'm fans of Minami Takayama and Wataru Takagi Razz
medama_oyaji

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote
Hooray! I was thinking recently that it seems like about time for a new Kitaro anime adaptation!

I've seen a little from every series, I think, and I think my favorites are the 60s, 80s, and Hakaba Kitaro versions. I didn't love the most recent Gegege series, but I admittedly haven't seen a lot of it. Perhaps it would have grown on me.

The awesome news about this is that it'll (probably) be the first Kitaro adaptation to have a full, licensed, English subtitled version, right?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
Jex2193 wrote:
I've only ever seen part of the '07 series, but I enjoyed what I saw. Not to mention I'm fans of Minami Takayama and Wataru Takagi Razz

I liked Takagi's role in Nogizaka Haruka in Himitsu and I wish that series would a dub here.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
medama_oyaji wrote:
The awesome news about this is that it'll (probably) be the first Kitaro adaptation to have a full, licensed, English subtitled version, right?

What makes you think this will get licensed?
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
My two best friends are huge fans of this series... I'm the odd one out when it comes to this series.

They're such big fans that a couple years ago when we all went to Japan together they went to the cafe (I stayed back as I needed a "rest day" due to certain reasons).

Either way they're love this news.
medama_oyaji

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
medama_oyaji wrote:

What makes you think this will get licensed?

Maybe not necessarily for a physical release, but most everything gets simulcasted. Not everything, of course, and that's why I say "probably."
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
That's the benefit of CR these days, because they're the most likely to sub these shows to completion even if no one watches.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Excited still one of my favourite things in Anime/manga i actually have all of the manga in French the newest anime from Australia and the 1968 black and white anime from Japan so still a pretty neat Kitaro collection.
The only Kitaro thing released in the USA is still that 1 louzy manga volume (i also have) but does seem it's not gonna be anymore then that.
medama_oyaji

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:04 am Reply with quote
It seems clear to me that with D+Q pushing forward with the entire run of Showa, and then announcing Hitler, before even mentioning more Kitaro, or Akuma-kun, or Kappa no Sanpei, etc. that Mizuki's non-fiction work is selling better than his yokai manga. If that is in fact the case, that's a damn shame because I hugely preferred Kitaro and Nononba to Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths or Showa. I find the personal stuff interesting in Showa, but it is sandwiched in between material that is so dry that it hinders my enjoyment of those books.

Hopefully if a Kitaro anime is in fact coming out, and if it does end up simulcasting, maybe it will gain some popularity in the States and people will start buying the book!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1