• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Astro Boy Has International Live-Action Film In the Works

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daichi383

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Here we go again tehe ... Laughing

Hopefully it'll be better than that animated movie though thats not a hard thing to accomplish.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Imagi's movie was a sizable commercial failure. Who's going to want to fund this?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
That movie wasn't so bad, but yeah, sure, let's go live action after the obvious success the CG one had.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow, after the failure that happened with the abysmal performance of that 2009 animated film that has gotten the animation studio shutting down, how could anyone from Hollywood ever think that Astro Boy is worth revisiting again? Since it is a special effects company and the original production company behind the creation of Osamu Tezuka's famed productions are involved, maybe this will be the best thing to get worldwide audiences to love the character again? We'll have to see and with the rising number of Marvel/DC films coming out in the next few years, it has to do a lot to stand out just like the upcoming Lionsgate Power Rangers movie.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I have no faith in Hollywood, almost every movie they dish out is sh*t. I haven't seen a good sci-fi in over a decade. The action movies are PG-13 pansycore sissy crap that are less kickass than a PG adventure movie from the 80's.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
There's already a live-action Astro Boy. It's called A.I. Rolling Eyes And yeah, I'm on the, 'The CG cartoon's really underrated' team. It's way better than that POS Wachowski Speed Racer.

Last edited by GATSU on Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
That movie wasn't so bad, but yeah, sure, let's go live action after the obvious success the CG one had.

It was actually pretty cute, and not the sour, gagged-up Dreamworks clone at all that we had become conditionally trained to expect from a third-party non-Disney/Pixar CGI studio before they open.
Although the ads sold it as one, which didn't help the public lynching.

Imagi was actually promising to be a rather good and anime-friendly studio (after the CGI TMNT and before their Gatchaman project), but it was '08-'10, and Robert Zemeckis's movies at the other studios were stinking up EVERY other CGI studio in the public's minds. We wanted to kill every other CGI movie that came out just because they reminded us of him.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
I have no faith in Hollywood, almost every movie they dish out is sh*t. I haven't seen a good sci-fi in over a decade. The action movies are PG-13 pansycore sissy crap that are less kickass than a PG adventure movie from the 80's.

Somebody never saw "Guardians of the Galaxy."

On one hand, it's got the people who worked on "The Lego Movie" and Tezuka Productions backing it up. On the other, the last time we tried "Astro Boy," it ended up destroying an entire film studio.

Even if this is a hit, what's going to happen with the sequels? Astro never physically ages, so it's going to be difficult with a child actor.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:

uhh, try watching interstellar and that'll change your mind.

So this upcoming live-action film of Astroboy, it's a reboot right and not a sequel to imagi animation one?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
mdo:
Quote:

I did. It was a nice unauthorized remake of Gunbuster, Wings of Honneamise, and Uchu Senkan Yamato. Rolling Eyes
daichi383

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
the-antihero wrote:

So this upcoming live-action film of Astroboy, it's a reboot right and not a sequel to imagi animation one?

I'm guessing it's a reboot. Can't see them wanting to be tied to what that movie did. I really don't know what story they would go with though. As someone thats only seen the 03 astro series. My dad might have a better idea since he grew up on both the original and the 80s show.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
daichi383 wrote:

I'm guessing it's a reboot. Can't see them wanting to be tied to what that movie did. I really don't know what story they would go with though. As someone thats only seen the 03 astro series. My dad might have a better idea since he grew up on both the original and the 80s show.

Never mind my previous part, I re-read the article it's a reboot indeed.

*facepalming myself*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
F-Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Let's never forget that a live-action Pluto film is still licensed by Illumination Entertainment, too. But there's no telling if Atom would even be a character in it.

As for the new series co-developed by Channels TV, Anime News Network really needs to stop calling them "Chanel TV" in every news article.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:

Market shift. Back in the 80s and 90s the method was to make an movie, usually rated R, and then if you wanted to sell it to kids too you'd make some kid-friendly version on TV like Toxic Avenger, Rambo, Police Academy, or Robocop. Nowadays they want to just straddle that PG and PG-13 line to double dip into both audiences. They want to aim it at adult audiences but want it to be tame enough so they can push merchandise to kids, like Avatar or all the superhero movies. Maybe it has to do with animation dying in the west compared to the 80s and 90s, but either way things are different now.

I have less hope for this than other anime adaptions mainly because it features a child protagonist. Also the fact they specifically name drop comic book movies being their inspiration. Although just the fact they're using "Astro Boy' rather than "Tetsuwan Atom" is a bad sign they just want to pander to nostalgia rather than actual interest in the franchise.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
I have less hope for this than other anime adaptions mainly because it features a child protagonist. Also the fact they specifically name drop comic book movies being their inspiration. Although just the fact they're using "Astro Boy' rather than "Tetsuwan Atom" is a bad sign they just want to pander to nostalgia rather than actual interest in the franchise.

The reason we got an Astro Boy and Speed Racer movie--and why they still haven't given up on an Akira or GITS movie after X number of years/generations, why Imagi looked at Gatchaman next, and why Disney was that close to a US live-action Star Blazers movie in the 90's--is exactly the same reason we got a (cough, ahem) Kimba movie that claimed it wasn't:
Old-fogey mainstream Hollywood execs wanted to cash in on "the anime thing" that the Young People Were Into in the trendy late 90's/early 00's but to them, "anime" is the Japanimation they grew up with in the 60's.

Ten or fifteen years ago, we used to have people who said "Anime? Oh, I remember Speed Racer!", but we're different and more savvy today--
Now we have people who say "Anime? Oh, I remember Cowboy Bebop and Death Note on Cartoon Network! I know a friend who watches Attack on Titan!" Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3