• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rage of Bahamut's Cygames Establishes Anime Division

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:06 am Reply with quote
> The goal of the studio is to not only produce anime adapting properties of Cygames, but to also produce plans for new, original anime.

Excellent. After what I've seen from Rage of Bahamut, I think I may enjoy whatever else they have planned in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:26 am Reply with quote
Yes! I knew sacrificing 5 babies to Satan would work. I'll have to keep this in mind for other times. Oh, and make sure they are ayran babies. They have a higher chance of catching his attention.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:55 am Reply with quote
As long as it keeps the quality that MAPPA's team brought to the anime, then perfect, moar please Very Happy

Did the anime sell well enough by the way?
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:03 am Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
As long as it keeps the quality that MAPPA's team brought to the anime, then perfect, moar please Very Happy

Not so well in disc sales, but that wasn't the point - they're just need to boost the popularity of game more, and that's worked.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:10 am Reply with quote
If it's the same division as the one writing the stories for the events, there should be no problem. The event for the English game has a story that would be awesome for a 12 minute anime. Here's how it goes. It's going to be pretty long, so bear with me.

On the last day of the 299th year, Lucifer appears to face the player.
He talks about a promise they made, and states that at the turn of the year, the world will be destroyed. You try and fight him, but you can't win. An old friend (from a past event), Monika, comes to help, but even together you can't defeat Lucifer. Just as you are about to die, time stops, and you are pulled into another dimension, the time dimension.
There you meet Pasha, a guardian of time. She tells you that she saved you so that you can all go back to the past and stop Lucifer. 100 years ago, Lucifer unleashed oblivion magic, that destroys all life. She doesn't know any way to undo that magic, so they must go back before it is cast. Oblivion magic takes 100 years to execute once activated, so you journey 100 years into the past. You manage to find Lucifer just as he is about to activate it, but you can't get past him. In the end Monika sacrifices herself to stop the activation of the oblivion magic. Pasha does not like this outcome because Monika was her first ever friend, but also because Monika dying in the wrong time could destroy the time lines and implode them. So she goes back as saves Monika and decides that the only true way to stop the oblivion magic is to make sure Lucifer never wants to cast it in the first place. So they decide to go back and find out why Lucifer turned into a fallen angel to begin with.

TO BE CONTINUED.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:19 am Reply with quote
From this point on, there are several endings. While it's basically trial and error, and not many choices to begin with, it's a fun read.
There's a premature bad ending, a bitter-sweet ending and a good ending.

First you go back another hundred years to the day of Lucifer's rebellion. There you befriend a fallen angel named Mirin. You learn from her that many gods are total dicks. She was banished to haven without actually having sinned, so she's not evil. Many of Lucifer's allies are the same. The god they are fighting is named Arbitrer, and she's a total bitch. So, once the battle begins, you have a choice of helping Lucifer defeat her, or doing nothing. If you do nothing, the timeline does not change since Lucifer cannot defeat Arbitrer alone. This leads to the ending where the world is destroyed in year 300. If you help Lucifer, you defeat Arbitrer and Lucifer becomes ruler of Heaven. And then he destroys the world in the year 127. That was a bust, you helped end the world 173 years sooner. So Pasha concludes that Lucifer's hate of everything must have been born before being cast in Hell, so they journey back again, this time to see when and why did Lucifer begin to hate everything.

TO BE CONTINUED.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:27 am Reply with quote
Should be interesting, another Anime studio that does not have to depend on disc sales to entirely justify it's productions. Should give them some more flexibility, not to mention make the studios that are disc sales dependent up their game.

Oh, and DmonHiro as Fredrick Pohl once observed, " Why should the Devil bargain for a soul, when it has already been freely given to him? "

Mark Gosdin
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:06 am Reply with quote
mgosdin, that doesn't really work here, since the RoB world is too different. There are several gods, not just one true god. Also, in RoB, Satan and Lucifer are different entities. Lucifer kept his name even as a fallen angel.

Anyway, back to the story.

Once arriving 100 more years into the past, you find Lucifer about to kill a small child. You all dive in and save him only for Lucifer to chastise you for endangering all humanity, and probably dooming another village to certain death. You learn that this Lucifer is kind and just, and wants nothing more then to bring as much happiness to the humans as he can. It's not an act either, he's actually really nice. The child he was about to slay made a contract with a demon, and gained the power to summon demons from hell. He used this power to kill an entire village and Lucifer was sent to kill him. Problem is, he was sent by Arbitrer, so the hero and friends know that can't be right. Arbitrer desires wars between humans/demons/gods because she feels it keep a balance. She's crazy like that, but she wouldn't send Lucifer to HELP humans. After splitting up to find the boy, the hero finds him. His name is Miguel, and he is a summoner. All the demons he summons are his friends, and they do not attack humans unless Miguel is in danger. The village that was destroyed was the only one that accepted Miguel and his demons. They were also magicians, and taught Miguel more about his power. One night, the village was attacked by falling fireballs, and everyone except him was killed. He was blamed for it, of course.
When Lucifer finds you, you have two choices. You can persuade him to spare the child in order to learn the truth, or let him kill Miguel. If you let him kill Miguel, the child dies while screaming Arbitrer's name, wondering why she did not help him, as she promised. Lucifer realizes that is was Arbitrer who destroyed the village, trying to kill Miguel so that there aren't more demons in the world then she desires. This leads to Lucifer rebelling 100 years later, and the events lead to the destruction of the world in the year 300 again.

TO BE CONTINUED.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:28 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
justsomeaccount wrote:

Not so well in disc sales, but that wasn't the point - they're just need to boost the popularity of game more, and that's worked.

Wasn't there essentially a second season hook at the end though? I'd assume this anime division means we'll be seeing one.
Via_01

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I liked Bahamut's anime adaptation, and I'm currently enjoying Cinderella Girl's.

If we can get more anime adaptations that don't need to depend on blu-ray sales, then these are good news indeed.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
This could be good.

DmonHiro wrote:
Yes! I knew sacrificing 5 babies to Satan would work. I'll have to keep this in mind for other times. Oh, and make sure they are ayran babies. They have a higher chance of catching his attention.

So they weren't arcobaleno's. *wipes sweat*
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Reads like Girl Who Leapt Through Time or movie Butterfly Effect or game Half-Life
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I want to see the original anime, the mobile ones are not going to be too good, given the track record of most mobile adaptations, I've seen too many disappointments and disasters.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
OMG i am getting more of whatever that team has to offer. Sign me up as Bahamax was the anime surprise of 2014.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1