• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Umineko When They Cry Episode 4: Alliance of the Golden Witch Volume 3 GN 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:20 am Reply with quote
I am curious, what is the throwaway reveal ?

also,we are supossed to have all the clues to solve everything at this point, which is cool.
Megabyte117

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I've only just read the first episode in manga format, but I've read the entirety of the visual novel. For anyone who's been keeping up with the manga, how would you compare them? Especially as a potential substitute for the visual novel? As much as I enjoyed the visual novel, it's still quite lengthy and overwrought at times.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious, have you been reading the "Secret Tea Party" chapters? because they drop plenty of hints themselves, but less about the overall mystery, and more about Beatrice in general and her motivations and intentions regarding her game with Battler. It should be noted that this one misleads you at one point though.

I don't know if the manga did this, but during the battle at the end between Beato and Battler, the VN version makes a point that spoiler[none of what Battler was claiming was actually true. Beato also knew this, but she had given up on the game by that point and let the blue truth hit her anyway. After Ange's sacrifice, Battler stopped caring about finding out the truth and focused solely on killing Beato, even with theories he knew were incorrect. I mean, "small bombs"? Seriously?] <-------Spoilers for Episode 4 (None of this was mentioned in the review, so I'll put it in spoiler tags)

Normally, this would be the time where I'd challenge you to try and figure out the mystery with just these 4 Episodes, because it's very much possible. But, unfortunately, with the transition from visual novel to manga, all of the third-person narration (and even some of the first-person narration) is lost, which means quite a few hints are lost as well. I'm not sure if that makes it impossible to find out the answer with just these 4 arcs in manga form, but it does make it much more difficult. At the very least, you *can* figure out Beatrice's identity, and possibly her motive. But don't worry, by the end, everything will be revealed.

Next Episode, we meet my favorite character, a certain detective. I can't wait to find out how Yen Press translates some of her dialogue. Very Happy
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
I'm curious, have you been reading the "Secret Tea Party" chapters?

I have - and I have some theories about Beatrice. Nothing solid yet, since I have to admit I'm more invested in the mysteries right now.

Quote:
I don't know if the manga did this, but during the battle at the end between Beato and Battler, the VN version makes a point that spoiler[none of what Battler was claiming was actually true. Beato also knew this, but she had given up on the game by that point and let the blue truth hit her anyway. After Ange's sacrifice, Battler stopped caring about finding out the truth and focused solely on killing Beato, even with theories he knew were incorrect. I mean, "small bombs"? Seriously?] <-------Spoilers for Episode 4 (None of this was mentioned in the review, so I'll put it in spoiler tags)

It was in there, but I think spoiler[ some of his theories may hold water, even if others are blatantly stupid, like the "tiny bombs." It would be too easy if ALL of it were fake.] Or so I like to delude myself. Smile

Quote:
Next Episode, we meet my favorite character, a certain detective. I can't wait to find out how Yen Press translates some of her dialogue. Very Happy

Definitely looking forward to it! This series could use a good detective from the outside...
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
that theory amde me think of the little boob ombs from the mario bros series.

Megabyte117 wrote:
I've only just read the first episode in manga format, but I've read the entirety of the visual novel. For anyone who's been keeping up with the manga, how would you compare them? Especially as a potential substitute for the visual novel? As much as I enjoyed the visual novel, it's still quite lengthy and overwrought at times.

teh mang ahas better pacing, definitely a great midle ground between the rushy, even skippy anime and thw "will make you fall asleep sometimes" vn., the only negative thing I can say about teh manga is that having no audio is a big loss for this series as the music is amazing.
JR-1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing the throwaway reveal is about Battler's heritage. Well, I agree that's one interesting point that didn't get much deliberation even until the end, and I also feels that it is used in a bit of a throwaway manner in the end of episode 4 to give Battler a breakdown. spoiler[ Seriously though, is Battler that much attached to his mother? I think this is where it rings a bit hollow, since even he should realize how much of a playboy his father is. ]

Some of Battler's points actually are close enough to the 'truth'. To realize the trick though, you'll have to realize what Beatrice is. I admit I only realized it after the confession in the episode 7, and I really like how Ryukishi07 give the confession in a bit of roundabout and vague way that you will be rewarded more if you thought a lot about the mystery beforehand.

As a mystery fan, I think you'll really like the second half, Rebecca. In addition to the magic-reality duality theme episode 4 tackles, it also tackles on a meta-level what a mystery fiction means. It gives me a new perspective on reading mystery fiction, at the very least.

That said, I still can't get behind Ryukishi07's penchant for psychotic girls. I thought Maria in the first episode and Eva-Beatrice in the third episode was a tad too annoying past their point to prove. Then the latter half adds two very interesting characters, the hypercompetent detective and the literal personification of Knox's rules, but they had their moments where they went a little too crazy (I guess there's also a point, but you don't really need to do it with a maniacal expression and laugh).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1