• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Reporting on NA anime distrib financial info

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I understand that privately owned companies do not have to file public financial statements, but corporations that publicly issue shares, do. I believe that's how certain financial information about Funimation was able to come to light when it was a division of Navarre.

So my question is ... is it possible to get access to financial statements of distribs that are not privately owned (the way Funimation once again is)? For example, AoA from what I gather is a wholly owned subsidiary of AoJ which itself is owned by Sony. Does that mean there are financial statements for it that are accessible by the public?

I'd love if ANN could look into this and report on any publicly available financial statements. I'd love to know generally what sort of revenue NA distribs are generating and how much profit they are making on those revenues.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:16 pm Reply with quote
hm, that would be interesting blood. I too would like to see that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:16 am Reply with quote
It's been about a week since I first posted this. Can I expect some sort of official ANN response soon?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
If that info existed in a place where we could gain legal access to it, we would've by now.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Fair enough. Thank you for the reply.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:23 am Reply with quote
While public corporations, as well as really big US corporations, are required to publish their financial information every quarter, they are not required to publish every little detail.

For example, Navarre did not always publish Funimation's numbers, in some cases it was grouped in under "publishing," along with 2 other subsidiaries.

In the case of AoA, it's really a drop in the bucket for Sony. They list Aniplex (Japan) as a line item on their annual report, and AoA would be an unknown part of the Aniplex line.

-t
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:52 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the additional detail, Tempest.

I wonder if you, or anyone else who might be reading this and happens to know, can answer this question:

Let's take the example of Viz Media LLC. The LLC, of course, stands for limited liability company. Apparently different states have different rules about what kind of information that LLCs have to file. Now if I google VizMedia LLC financial reports, for example, I'll get hits like this:

VIZ MEDIA, LLC | Revenue and Financial Reports - Hoovers

So I click on the link and find out that Hoovers is a company that purports to be able to provide you with financial information on Viz Media LCC - no doubt for a fee.

So here's my question: are these companies legit? Are they the equivalent of a P.I. who can legitimately and legally find out information about individuals? Or are they just a scam? If they are legit, it raises the prospect that if they have legal means to find out certain financial information about non-incorporated businesses, then theoretically someone else could do the same without paying for their service.

Anybody have any background in this?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Hoovers is a subsidiary of Dunn and Bradstreet, so they're legit. Now how much they charge for what kind of information, or if you could find this on your own, I couldn't say. It seems most companies use them to get basic intel and contact lists.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:29 am Reply with quote
Thanks, Gina.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1