• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top Manga Magazines' Circulation Dropped 10%+ in 1 Year

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote
The biggest problem for me is that I only read 3 out of what, 20 of the series that serialize every week? And I can just buy the tankobon. I would really appreciate if Sunday (and Jump) would move to a model that is free digital reading every week, like Comic Avarus, Comico (though that's a different beast altogether), Hana to Yume online, etc. It's a great model that has gotten me into a lot of new series, and has gotten me to buy new tankobon (Tonari no Busso-san, Hana to Harinezumi, etc).

I also wish Zero Sum would do the same... Hatenkou Yuugi is all I need...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:03 am Reply with quote
Has there been a corresponding increase in digital manga viewing?
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:23 am Reply with quote
Wow. Those are significant drops, and all of them falling indicates it's not just a problem with one magazine but an industry-wide issue.

leafy sea dragon wrote:

That's exactly what I was wondering too.
Ushio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:02 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Remember Japan's population is changing far fewer births and a lot more deaths.

According to the "National Institute of Population and Social Security Research" Japan's population will drop from 127 million today to 86 million by 2060 with 40% of them over 65.
aereus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:51 am Reply with quote
Well, they'll either import more labor, or they'll pay a living wage which allows their young people the ability to have kids without working themselves to death.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:08 am Reply with quote
By sales, Hajime no Ippo is currently Weekly Shounen Magazine's best seller.
Broly The Saiyan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:35 am Reply with quote
Hopefully they are just getting more interested in digital. Though in my case I prefer physical over digital. However if it is not the case of fans switching to digital then that means they need to start releasing some more amazing manga or original manga.
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
The biggest problem for me is that I only read 3 out of what, 20 of the series that serialize every week? And I can just buy the tankobon. I would really appreciate if Sunday (and Jump) would move to a model that is free digital reading every week, like Comic Avarus, Comico (though that's a different beast altogether), Hana to Yume online, etc. It's a great model that has gotten me into a lot of new series, and has gotten me to buy new tankobon (Tonari no Busso-san, Hana to Harinezumi, etc).

I also wish Zero Sum would do the same... Hatenkou Yuugi is all I need...

Jump has 2 online "magazines", Jump+ and Young Jump Web Comics.
There you can read a lot of series for free, and I believe that all the new series of Weekly Shonen Jump have their first chapters(1 or 2 chapters) available for free in Jump+ for a given time.
In Jump+ you can buy digital Weekly Shonen Jump, but it isn't for free.

Here their sites:
Jump+ -> http://plus.shonenjump.com/
Young Jump Web Comics -> http://tonarinoyj.jp/

About Sunday I don't believe they have anything.
pcj

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:06 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
Jump has 2 online "magazines", Jump+ and Young Jump Web Comics.
Which means there *is* a legal place other than the print magazine for people to move to. So this information about the print sales dropping is useless as an industry indicator without also including the subscriber counts from the digital assets.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Time to go digital for the rest of Jump and other publications (I'm looking at you Manga Time Kirara), Dengeki is already going digital with one of it's magazines. However, the population issue needs to be addressed as well, especially with the population dropping so rapidly from fewer births and more deaths.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
People saw this coming when bookstores in Japan are disappearing.

“Buy from bookstores or they’ll disappear!” Frustrated bookseller implores crowd on final day of business

• This is true even in Japan, which has a rather significant publishing industry and a large pool of eager readers, where physical books and magazines have had high sales well into the 21st century. While the country is known for its technology, Japanese consumers have been slow to adopt new modes of purchasing their texts.

But all that’s starting to change.

As we’ve seen in many locales, the rise of e-book readers and online retailers has opened up access to more and cheaper books for the average person. And with improved distribution, it’s a matter of days–at most–from the time you click “purchase” to the time your new books arrive on your doorstep.

Japan, though initially resistant, has proven not much different. Amazon Japan and Rakuten both have e-book readers and both sell books at prices lower than what you’ll usually find in a store, especially small-to-mid-sized retailers and specialty stores.

In fact, Mainichi Shinbun recently reported on the closing of some of these smaller stores, marking the shift in the retail landscape from brick-and-mortar stores to digital retailers. In the thirteen years between 2000 and 2013, 34 percent of the bookstores in Japan were shuttered.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:37 pm Reply with quote
not just Japan, print media is dying everywhere. Just go all out digital to save our forest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1