• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digital Manga's Clockwork Apple Kickstarter Reaches Stretch Goal to Reprint Barbara

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:14 am Reply with quote
Nothing new yet again i was hoping the the 3th streach goal would be something new ... the real Tezuka fans that where into it at the time already have all of this ...
EvilOmar78

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:42 am Reply with quote
Does Viz still hold the rights to Phoenix? I would love for that series to be reprinted.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:56 am Reply with quote
EvilOmar78 wrote:
Does Viz still hold the rights to Phoenix? I would love for that series to be reprinted.

Perhaps not. The avg. rights life to anime or manga here can be so variable.
katscradle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:16 am Reply with quote
TonyTonyChopper wrote:
... the real Tezuka fans that where into it at the time already have all of this ...

Well I think how the 3rd goal goes will be interesting because Swallowing the Earth has had two printings and an eBook release already. But, "real Tezuka fans"? There are any number of reasons why fans may not own a copy of Swallowing the Earth. Digital Manga has had difficulty in promotion and a record of their books being routinely difficult to acquire even if you pay attention or pre-order because of print runs and distribution. Digital Manga has admitted they didn't print enough of their earlier KS titles. They tried the first reprint of Swallowing Earth with KS that was successful because it was a common request from many people that were unable to buy the first printing. People requesting it now are hardly greater or lesser fans than others who own a copy. 2009 & 2011 were ages ago in the publishing world. I am happy more people have discovered Tezuka and his diverse body of works. People don't deserve the ire of others because they may have started collecting later either. We need everybody we can get for more Tezuka published in English.

I have a feeling the 4th goal is going to be Unico. Which I would like because I was unable to pledge during it's campaign. I had a few large medical bills come up unexpectedly that insurance didn't completely cover at the time. When Unico was finally released for everyone copies sold out very quickly, if some retailers even got stock at some point. That's why the resale prices for it are so high.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote
Well, if they are going to reprint these titles it would be nice to give them a more sturdy treatment. Quality paper, maybe hardcover, etc...
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
Evil+Kadmos: They've been uploading it to Kindle, so I assume they do.

Kats: For forty grand, I want effing Jungle Emperor Leo/Kimba already. Cool
katscradle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Well, if they are going to reprint these titles it would be nice to give them a more sturdy treatment. Quality paper, maybe hardcover, etc...

Yeah it’s good the new titles and reprints will be on nicer paper. Though how nice the books are we’re all going to have to wait and see. They’ve floated ideas for a hardcover Tezuka at least once and maybe a possibility for their BL too. I’m personally partial to hardcover. Most people ask about dust jackets from what I can tell though.

GATSU wrote:
Kats: For forty grand, I want effing Jungle Emperor Leo/Kimba already. Cool

If only. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1