• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Useless Magic Attacks

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:04 am Reply with quote
I LIKE the Pink Sugar Heart Attack. Very Happy
Moon's powers seem to come from within, and since Chibi's chief personality is to be annoying, her power has the ability to severely annoy the monster. No one else could wield that power.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:08 am Reply with quote
Maybe not entirely useless and maybe not entirely magical, but Getsuga Tenshou. Actually, half of the superpowers in Bleach can be presented in this list.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:37 am Reply with quote
Calling Miroku's Wind Tunnel useless is just wrong.

It does have the problems and limitations that were mentioned in the article, but he still used it successfully to eliminate many dangerous demons.
The people whose lives he saved, including all of the main characters, would probably not consider the Wind Tunnel to be useless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
Miroku's Wind Tunnel is a good example of a villain immediately taking countermeasures against the heroes as opposed to just letting them traipse around on training arcs. It was kind of refreshing seeing a villain immediately go, "Nooooope, not dealing with that again."

Also, yeahhhh Kotetsu won! Wild Tiger!
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:49 am Reply with quote
To be fair, thermal hand could be a lot more powerful at the higher levels.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:59 am Reply with quote
What about Jurai Andou's "Dark and Dark" from When Supernatural Battles Become Commonplace?
An anemic flicker of dark flame from the hands doesn't really look all that impressive when the other members have powers that actually do something, but he manages to build up the hype through overacting.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote
Yes, Wind tunnel gets rid of a couple of otherwise intractable demons if I'm not mistaken, so very useful. And don't dis Sweets Conjuring too much either, in D.C.2 Junichi conjures a banana filled treat and "saves" Minatsu-chan in her story arc so...ya who am I kidding, it's useless otherwise. What a pain...
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:

Agreed, but the condition that the temperature must be tolerable by the user is a hindrance, since gloves and other protection gear will most likely be useless (since the gear itself will be affected, not what is being handled by said gear).

One possibility, though, is to wear a full-body protective gear (like firemen's) at slightly-below-room temperatures, and then going to handle fires (or warm temperatures for searching in cold places).
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Rederoin wrote:

Agreed, but the condition that the temperature must be tolerable by the user is a hindrance, since gloves and other protection gear will most likely be useless (since the gear itself will be affected, not what is being handled by said gear).

One possibility, though, is to wear a full-body protective gear (like firemen's) at slightly-below-room temperatures, and then going to handle fires (or warm temperatures for searching in cold places).

Its very likely that restriction only applies to lvl 1s.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Miroku's cursed ability sounds useful in theory.

What do you mean? It's actually ridiculously OP, aside from the curse and spreading thing, which is why Takahashi had to completely cause it to be useless with the stupid bees. The story would have been over in 30 episodes with Naraku and pretty much every other antagonist sucked up and vanquished if not for that shit.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Your list is wrong. Kazaana is so over powered and so useful it's not even funny. I can't even count the times Miroku used the Kazaana to save Inuyasha, Kagome or Sango from CERTAIN death. The whole gang would be dead and buried if Miroku hadn't used the Kazaana. If fact, Naraku royally screwed himself over with this curse because without it, he would have won. You'd think that after the 10th time the thing saved the gang, Naraku would just freaking close it himself.
SpeckTech

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
oh Yaya. You're adorable, but useless. Amu has everything covered already.
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking Amulet Angel's White Flag attack would definitely make it since it's pretty useless (Eru is only useful as Seraphic Charm, really) but Yaya is a better pick.
ostiniatoze

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:

Hameyadea wrote:

Rederoin wrote:

Its very likely that restriction only applies to lvl 1s.

I think it's not so much a limitation of the power, as it is a limitation of her i.e. it was too hot and she didn't want to carry it.

I often wondered how her power could level up.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Agree, Wind Tunnel is just too OP that the author has to make it look useless. Imagine how useful if it was IRL, bam all bad guys sucked it.

And no mention of Fairy Tail, the characters from that show mainly use magic-based attack and some of them are so dumb-looking that would give the list a run for its money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5