• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga Finale: Part II

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobob101

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote
I hope I said the same thing last time, but I'll say it again: Thank You for 5 great years of great manga reviews and great columns. Through you I knew the glory of shopping in Duwang (We live in an era were JoJo is so popular that even the scanlations are being released in higher quality), I can enjoy the majesty of the Koike Insanity and perverted-ness (Though AWO also needs to be thanked for this) and just a mountain of other great stuff. Seriously, if I didn't already know about it before you wrote about it, I would almost always check out your recommendations. Here's hoping that your own manga adventure never ends, that even though you never write about them here, that things like Samurai Executioner or Baki the Grappler can one day get your recommendation.

In the words of Jean Pierre Polnereff: I'll never forget you you shitty old man!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:25 am Reply with quote
Every time one of these types of columns ends, I'm disappointed but it is easy to understand why it happens when I realize just how long some of them had been going. So, all there is to say is thanks and good luck.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:29 am Reply with quote
Does anyone else get the feeling that Jason has nightmares about reading manga and they haunt him during the daytime? Stuck in an old, broken-down house, with piles and piles of volumes demanding to be read, deadlines coming ever closer, and the ghost of an editor with a battle ax inches from the back of his neck?

Anyways, thanks Jason and Shaenon for weekly doses of the best (and weirdest) manga has to offer. Good luck in all your future endeavors.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:49 am Reply with quote
Congratulations on 5 years of really fun & great columns from the two of you. When you think about it 5 years in internet time is akin to going from Cavemen / Mammoths to Spacemen / Moon Colonies.

Quote:
I'll still be writing features for Anime News Network, but I won't be going through my manga shelves (or performing the “hopefully-I-seem-like-a-parent adult man browsing the YA library manga stacks walk of shame”) to find something to write about every week anymore.

I have to comment on this, when I go manga shopping here in Central Florida I find myself ( 56 years old, grey beard ) bumping elbows with others my age and across the spectrum of years all the way back to preteens. I don't think manga will be in any danger of not selling well any time soon. There will be plenty to read and plenty for you two to write about.

Mark Gosdin
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
Thanks to all the kind words, everyone! I'm happy you enjoyed the column!

I'm vacationing in Belize now, but a quick correction: of course I reviewed Devilman, I meant I didn't get around to reviewing Nagai's other epic, Violence Jack. Wink
tuklaw324

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:19 am Reply with quote
Thanks a lot for all the years you guys spent on this column. I started my manga collection because of your influence and I'll continue on doing so even when House of 1000 Manga is gone. I hope to read more stuff from you guys soon.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:40 am Reply with quote
As a wise porpoise once said:

"So long and thanks for all the fish."
GVman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As much as I love other shonen manga, I've never read a martial arts manga and then said “Yeah! I better go do some pushups!”

...I've actually done that.

Anyway, thank you so much for writing this column, Jason. It's been a blast.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
Maison Ikkoku is a treasured part of my collection, especially since I bought it so late. I was able to track down all the volumes, although I ended up importing the UK version of one volume as I could not find the US edition.
cetriya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
everyone is bound to move on and expand their interests.

and why is there not a Kaoru MORI artbook collection yet?
Marzan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Thank you so much for this column. It will be sorely missed.

Maison Ikkoku and Emma are both big favorites of mine too. And I'm still waiting for a English language release of I Am A Hero.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

but I won't be going through my manga shelves (or performing the “hopefully-I-seem-like-a-parent adult man browsing the YA library manga stacks walk of shame”) to find something to write about every week anymore.

Heh, our local library even has a separate room with glass doors and walls with a YA librarian attendant, so it's not like ya can just accidentally wander over there. We could give ya some tips. Laughing
Zoruilo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I have only ever caught a few of your "House of 1000 Manga" in the short while I have been using this website, but I'm sad to see it go.
j Talbain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the last 5 years Jason. I have found some truly amazing manga thanks to this column.
jtron

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for everything! I'm among the many who got clued in to tons of great stuff through this column. Always look forward to reading anything under your byline.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2