• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Orange Shōjo Manga Will End in August

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:48 am Reply with quote
Well, I guess the timing on this couldn't have been more perfect, given the announcement for the live-action film. I'll be sorry to see it go, though. ^^; Especially since I heard the mangaka is quitting after finishing Orange; something about stressing over deadlines. XP

EDIT: And for anyone keeping count, the September issue just released, so I think we'll end up with 22 chapters total. I didn't realize we were this close to the end! Shocked

EDIT 2: Oh, thanks for pointing out that she was just quitting a different magazine, residentgrigo! My bad! ^^;

Last edited by whiskeyii on Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Jajanken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:04 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Well, I guess the timing on this couldn't have been more perfect, given the announcement for the live-action film. I'll be sorry to see it go, though. ^^; Especially since I heard the mangaka is quitting after finishing Orange; something about stressing over deadlines. XP

EDIT: And for anyone keeping count, the September issue just released, so I think we'll end up with 22 chapters total. I didn't realize we were this close to the end! Shocked
Yup 22. It's sad but hey it was great while it lasted
Elves

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quote
I've been enjoying the Orange manga via Crunchyroll's digital publication. I have been wondering just how long this storyline could go on for, but it's looking like it'll be a good wrap up. Can't wait to get my hands on the English omnibus edition.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:25 am Reply with quote
Aww Sad I loved this manga.. Sad
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:22 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Especially since I heard the mangaka is quitting after finishing Orange; something about stressing over deadlines. XP

Really? That's sad. Looking at some of the images, I really like their art. But, I do remember reading that there had been a bit of a delay during the publishing run of this series.

As for this news story, Seven Seas had made mention of the series ending in its 5th volume. So, I had heard that the end was coming. Now, we know when the last chapter will be published.

I hope that people will support the print of this series, I'm definitely pre-ordering this series...aaaaand I just noticed that the first volume is up for pre-order on BookDepository. Guess I'll do it now. Laughing
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:27 am Reply with quote
The article correctly points out that the series moved to the seinen publication Manga Action so i don´t get how it can be called a shoujo manga in the OP. The content didn´t change of course but it isn´t marketed at teen girls anymore and target demographic are derived form the magazine and tankoubon lines they are (re-)published in. (The same goes for her newer “girl friendly" seinen Re Collection.)

I started to lose interest in the series so am thus glad to hear that it will end soon and the ending point feels about right too. Maybe her next one will grab me more as talent is clearly present.

Edit: The quitting comment is from 2013 when she stopped working for Betsuma so don´t burry her yet.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RitsuLaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:31 am Reply with quote
That's such great timing, since the manga was just licensed here in my country and i've been wanting to read this since i've heard some good reviews about it.
It's a shame that the mangaka is quitting tho; their art was p nice
But I can totally see their point.
xBTAx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:48 am Reply with quote
Aww, I really like Orange a lot, so this is pretty sad news. I'll definitely be picking up the print versions!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:41 am Reply with quote
While I never have been a super shoujo manga reader, I would say that this setting is ideal for an anime considering that a lot of shoujo manga and anime are romantic.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:44 am Reply with quote
A complete, well-written series in two omnibus volumes - a definite pre-order for me. And Yen Press does a nice job with their omnibus volumes. They're well bound and all the ones I own have color pictures and have nice, big pages.
lys

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:24 am Reply with quote
@here-and-faraway, it's SevenSeas that'll be releasing the omnibus editions here, not Yen Press.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:34 am Reply with quote
Sad to see it end, in a way, but it is clear that the story is coming to a close, so it is probably for the best that it not drag on too long. It does have a sort of built-in deadline, so to speak... (Kind of like Half & Half by Koiji Seo... It can't go beyond a certain point...)

Oh, and I will definitely be buying the print versions!

So, she says she is quitting after Orange? Re-Collection is never going to be developed then? Too bad...

EDIT: I see someone else stated that the quitting comment was from when Orange went on Hiatus? I hope that is the case and she picks up Re-Collection after Orange is done!
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I hope that the quitting comment is old!

Now, to hope that Orange does well enough for someone to take a chance on another of Takano's series. ReCollection sounds interesting. And, while shoujo isn't my thing (but I do dabble in it), I'd like to see the 10 volume series Yumemiri Taiyou licensed.

It does seem like a typical rom-com, but I just want some more (after Orange see print) of Takano's work in my hands. Though, I'd prefer ReCollection. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1