• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Columns in the news feed

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
I just noticed the new Answerman in the news feed, and THANK YOU! I always miss columns and reviews and features and such, because I don't look over there, just at the news feed. So I'm hoping that the Answerman column in the news feed means that ALL columns, reviews, etc. will be posted there as well as the side bar, so that I don't miss as much!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:26 am Reply with quote
I don't know about the rest of them. Answerman just changed it's format some so it might be a special case. I agree it would be handy, but I am not sure if it means all columns are going to show up there or not from now on.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:44 am Reply with quote
It's an experiment we're running.

The problem with running them in the mainfeed is that they will dissapear from the front page very fast.

On the up side, we suspect the mainfeed is read more diligently. People almost have "side-bar blindness" similar to banner blindness.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
For me, this is how it comes down to:

For the most part, it seems like the majority of what's in the sidebar are reviews. I generally don't read the reviews.

For the streaming series, if I like it, I like it, if I don't, I don't, and I don't read reviews before I watch something, so all the review does is either reinforce what I already think, or goes against what I think, in which I'm less likely to read any other reviews for that reviewer.

For manga reviews, it's kinda the same. For anime DVD/BD reviews, if it's a series I really like, I might check out the review, to see if the release is worth buying, but I've probably already made up my mind on that, so it's also moot.

On the old site, I could have no images in the main feed, but images in the sidebar. So I'd be able to notice "oh, there's a game image, that means it must be X Button, I'll read that". Or "oh, I like that show, is it a column or a review about it?"

Without the images, and given that most of them are reviews, I kinda feel that it's a waste of my time to check it. If it's a column I follow, I often end up finding it because I see a new Talkback thread, and just follow the link for that.

I'm not against having the sidebar (although I'd like a way to have no images on the main feed and images on it again!), but having at least the columns also in the main feed would help me not to miss them, definitely.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
We only post one review per day to the sidebar.

Everything else is interviews, feature articles, and columns.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

On the up side, we suspect the mainfeed is read more diligently. People almost have "side-bar blindness" similar to banner blindness.

Hadn't really thought about it that way but it does make sense. Upon reflection I realized I have grown a tendency to have the side bar blindness myself. I would imagine majority of people go right to eh front page when coming to ANN so having it there, even if it leaves more quickly with newer articles being loaded up, probably gets them more visibility.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
And then you have the oddballs like me who almost immediately go to the forums. Most of the time, the first thing I do is click the Forum tab. I read the articles, interviews, and columns as they show up in the Talkback section rather than doing it from the front page. My sidebar is minimized at the bottom.

I started doing it to avoid having pictures - other than icons which are small - show up on my screen while at work (yes, I'm bad, I'll take breaks at work if I have time to spare). Eventually it just became habit and I do it at home as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I also go straight to the forums, and only check out front page stuff through the talkback thread, essentially because I don't want to sift through news no one wants to talk about. I do watch the sidebar for new content there, though.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Ever since the birth of ANN 5.0, I've always jumped straight to the fora and made use of the drop-down menu to find News and Interest articles that capture my interest. It made finding certain articles that much simpler and faster to search.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1