• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone Announced for PS4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:46 am Reply with quote
Aww seriously, no vita?? Sad

I guess I have to pass this then, or wait for possible announcement for vita release. It will be a waste to buy a whole new console just to play one title, because nothing in PS4 game library interests me so far.
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:02 am Reply with quote
This is incredibly confusing to me.
Isn't Future Tone just the Arcade version of Project Diva f2nd? I played some of it and I swear there was no new content other than a bunch of PVs that looked like they'd been made using the editor (ie nothing special or unique to each PV).

I mean, I haven't played Future Tone a -lot-, because I'm not in Japan anymore and it was the regular Project Diva Arcade that I played more of, so if anyone can shed any light on to exactly why this needed to be a ps4 port - let alone a separate game to Project Diva X instead of just someDLC for it - I'm all ears. (Especially considering f2nd already had the ability to download other peoples edit-mode songs...)

I hope it looks better on the PS4 than it does on the game machines though, because the graphics in the arcade version (as well as Dreamy Theatre) have this uncomfortable plasticy look to them that I even prefer the PSP graphics to.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:16 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
This is incredibly confusing to me.
Isn't Future Tone just the Arcade version of Project Diva f2nd? I played some of it and I swear there was no new content other than a bunch of PVs that looked like they'd been made using the editor (ie nothing special or unique to each PV).

I mean, I haven't played Future Tone a -lot-, because I'm not in Japan anymore and it was the regular Project Diva Arcade that I played more of, so if anyone can shed any light on to exactly why this needed to be a ps4 port - let alone a separate game to Project Diva X instead of just someDLC for it - I'm all ears. (Especially considering f2nd already had the ability to download other peoples edit-mode songs...)

I hope it looks better on the PS4 than it does on the game machines though, because the graphics in the arcade version (as well as Dreamy Theatre) have this uncomfortable plasticy look to them that I even prefer the PSP graphics to.

Nope. Future Tone is a totally different part of the franchise. The F series started on the PS Vita and then eventually got ported to the PS3. Project Diva X is called that because it's the 10th project they've worked on through out the entire Project Diva ...project? lol.

I've played Future Tone a bit when I was at convention Anime Central in Chicago this year. Some friends and I went to an arcade called RoundOne. They get official permission/licensing etc to have Japanese games like Project Diva Future Tone, among many others not available in the US arcade scene outside that chain of stores/arcades. Anyway, Future Tone and F and the soon to be released X are totally different in game mechanics terms... well okay not TOTALLY, but there are differences. For example, in Future Tone it allows you to press all 4 face buttons (X, O Triangle and Square) all at the same time, taking it to the next level after Project Diva 2nd on PSP introduced the arrows (the face button plus the corresponding D-Pad direction). If you knew what I was talking about or could allude to it since you've played Project Diva before, I apologize. This would be a good read for others that aren't as invested in the series as I am, and as you might be.

So yeah. Future Tone is a totally different beast, and I'm super excited to see how it'll work on PS4, especially with the 4 button combos you can do. If you wanna see what I'm talking about you can YouTube "Hatsune Miku Project Diva Future Tone" and you'll get DOZENS upon DOZENS of videos of gameplay, PVs, and more. Have fun, and I hope this long as crap post helped you learn something you might not have already known. lol Smile

brucepuppy wrote:
Aww seriously, no vita?? Sad

I guess I have to pass this then, or wait for possible announcement for vita release. It will be a waste to buy a whole new console just to play one title, because nothing in PS4 game library interests me so far.

Quite the contrary for me, in case you couldn't sense my excitement in the above part of this post... I literally got a PSP and a Vita for Project Diva. The news of not one... but TWO Project Diva projects for the PS4 made me Otaku-gasm all over the place. lol
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:24 am Reply with quote
I know about the controls being different, I just wasn't sure if the songs themselves were, and the brief bit of exposure I had to the game itself (also in Round1 during a trip to the US) seemed to not have a lot of songs that werent in previous games. (I played one that wasnt and it had one of those generic 'made in the PV editor' pvs that the songs in PDArcade had) Although it's kind of hard to tell because it gives you that stupid timer when you have to choose a song, forcing you to do mad rush to choose instead of actually being able to look at each one Mad ... That and the sizeable line of people waiting behind me meant that I couldnt investigate as much as I wanted.

I hope it is different enough to be worth buying thoughI keep seeing more and more reasons to finally get a PS4 after all. (But I also wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt, seeing as Project Mirai Deluxe was literally just Project Mirai 2 with extra bells and whistles).

I'm mostly confused because I always considered the Arcade versions to be ports of the console games with some slight control tweaks so it's a bit weird to see the reverse of this.
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:35 am Reply with quote
2016 is going to be awesome, Future tone and PDFX !!?? Now is the time to throw money at sega. I just can't wait for these to come out since its been forever too long ago when F2 came out.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:37 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
I know about the controls being different, I just wasn't sure if the songs themselves were, and the brief bit of exposure I had to the game itself (also in Round1 during a trip to the US) seemed to not have a lot of songs that werent in previous games. (I played one that wasnt and it had one of those generic 'made in the PV editor' pvs that the songs in PDArcade had) Although it's kind of hard to tell because it gives you that stupid timer when you have to choose a song, forcing you to do mad rush to choose instead of actually being able to look at each one Mad ... That and the sizeable line of people waiting behind me meant that I couldnt investigate as much as I wanted.

I hope it is different enough to be worth buying thoughI keep seeing more and more reasons to finally get a PS4 after all. (But I also wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt, seeing as Project Mirai Deluxe was literally just Project Mirai 2 with extra bells and whistles).

I'm mostly confused because I always considered the Arcade versions to be ports of the console games with some slight control tweaks so it's a bit weird to see the reverse of this.

Okay cool. Where are you from if you said you've visited the US before? Smile

omegaproxy wrote:
2016 is going to be awesome, Future tone and PDFX !!?? Now is the time to throw money at sega. I just can't wait for these to come out since its been forever too long ago when F2 came out.

I KNOW RIGHT?! xD xD Also a Vita game that's totally unrelated called Gravity Daze (Gravity Rush in the US) is getting re-released on PS4, as well as it's getting a sequel, presumably for the PSV and PS4! MUCH EXCITE FOR 2016! haha
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:02 am Reply with quote
@Shiggity- Australia, although I did live in Japan a few years which is how I got to play/become decently familiar with PDArcade.

I also have already bought 3 consoles for the sake of this franchise (originally bought a PSP for the very first one back when it was new, a Vita for PDf and a 3DS for Mirai (and wish I'd waited for Mirai2, but how was I to know Mirai was going to have everything Mirai1 had plus more Crying or Very sad ). Granted these have all been handhelds that have managed to be used for various other games, but it stilll wouldnt surprise me if this same series got me to buy a PS4. My skepticism of a FutureTone port is probably also my self defense mechanism trying to prevent me from doing so Laughing
Shiggity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:17 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
@Shiggity- Australia, although I did live in Japan a few years which is how I got to play/become decently familiar with PDArcade.

I also have already bought 3 consoles for the sake of this franchise (originally bought a PSP for the very first one back when it was new, a Vita for PDf and a 3DS for Mirai (and wish I'd waited for Mirai2, but how was I to know Mirai was going to have everything Mirai1 had plus more Crying or Very sad ). Granted these have all been handhelds that have managed to be used for various other games, but it stilll wouldnt surprise me if this same series got me to buy a PS4. My skepticism of a FutureTone port is probably also my self defense mechanism trying to prevent me from doing so Laughing

Oh I see.... well I guess we'll see how these new PjD games turn out. I'm getting all three (X for PS4/Vita and FT for PS4).
Kevelinu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Also don't forget about the upcoming Miku game featuring the Morpheus virtual reality thingy!!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Shiggity wrote:
Nope. Future Tone is a totally different part of the franchise. The F series started on the PS Vita and then eventually got ported to the PS3. Project Diva X is called that because it's the 10th project they've worked on through out the entire Project Diva ...project? lol. l

Thought some of the song selection and PVs were scrambled around the Diva selection when it went to PS3, among other reasons, because the Project Diva PS3 videos were made for 3D, and had to be restaged with new 3D-friendly settings.
As to any game differences (like the directional button + game button replacing the two-joystick move), that's up to the port developers, but otherwise there's not too much difference between Diva and Future once they leave the arcade for the console.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Kevelinu wrote:
Also don't forget about the upcoming Miku game featuring the Morpheus virtual reality thingy!!

Yup. That and Summer Lesson and FFXIV are probably gonna move some VR.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1