• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: North American Anime, Manga Releases, November 1-7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Why do they release manga digitally when you can read them online for free anyways?? I only buy manga for the physical copy!! It's such a waste of time to put them for digital release because it'll never sell that way!!! It's so annoying. I hope the digital releases get a physical release soon or it's not worth my money.
Lusbox

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna have to stop pre-ordering from amazon. The UK release for One Punch Man on their site is 19th Nov but on every other UK site it's listed as available. Even waiting the extra couple of days delivery i always end up getting it before amazon has it in stock.

Think the only other thing i have in the post this week is One Piece.
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
If I live in USA maybe all my savings and pay checks will be to buying manga and anime. Hopefully Im not in that country.

kiminobokuwa wrote:
Why do they release manga digitally when you can read them online for free anyways?? I only buy manga for the physical copy!! It's such a waste of time to put them for digital release because it'll never sell that way!!! It's so annoying. I hope the digital releases get a physical release soon or it's not worth my money.

I do the same thing. For example, I am buying Maid sama in physical copy only to have it. Im not re reading that manga.
SailorDJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Minimimiau wrote:
If I live in USA maybe all my savings and pay checks will be to buying manga and anime. Hopefully Im not in that country.

kiminobokuwa wrote:

I do the same thing. For example, I am buying Maid sama in physical copy only to have it. Im not re reading that manga.

I only buy manga to have a physical copy too. Perhaps they're testing the waters to see if it's worth having a physical release.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:

Well, hopefully, it is for us that are buried alive in manga and books. I can no longer maintain a large library of books. So I am slowly converting everything to digital, including manga. I am glad that some manga publishers are including digital, and I hope the rest do the same.

Physical copies of books and mangas will be relegated to my favorites and those that look good displayed in my couple of bookcases. I just hate having my anime, books, and manga stored in boxes located in the garage. Going Justin's route for most of my anime physical media, and digital for books and manga.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
kiminobokuwa wrote:
Why do they release manga digitally when you can read them online for free anyways??

Well, hopefully, it is for us that are buried alive in manga and books...I am glad that some manga publishers are including digital, and I hope the rest do the same.

I am with TarsTarkas. One of the main reasons I don't buy manga is because I don't want to collect paper books; I want to read the manga once and that's it.

I rather see more companies go the digital way where I can rent digital manga and read it once.

And if you are reading manga online "for free", you are pirating it, and that is not cool.
Glorianos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if the English version of Yokai Watch is right-left like normal manga? The reason I ask is because it's directed at kids, so I figure they would re-do it for that purpose.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
kiminobokuwa wrote:
Why do they release manga digitally when you can read them online for free anyways??

Well, hopefully, it is for us that are buried alive in manga and books...I am glad that some manga publishers are including digital, and I hope the rest do the same.

I am with TarsTarkas. One of the main reasons I don't buy manga is because I don't want to collect paper books; I want to read the manga once and that's it.

I rather see more companies go the digital way where I can rent digital manga and read it once.

And if you are reading manga online "for free", you are pirating it, and that is not cool.

No no no!! I mean, it's pretty evident that they're on the internet for free and i'm not going to lie when i say i've sneaked a peek to see what is going on with the latest manga. I also have my fair share of manga books that r taking up so much space in my bedroom that it's unbearable! But I still want to have the physical copy because it's hard to keep it digital. I mean, imagine u get a virus on that computer, it'll be gone forever or hard to get back. I know they have cloud services, but i rather have a nice clean version!!
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I understand, nothing beats a physical copy. But for me that changes nothing. Too many books is too many books. There is always the risk with digital loss, but it is better than not having the books.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
No no no!! I mean, it's pretty evident that they're on the internet for free and i'm not going to lie when i say i've sneaked a peek to see what is going on with the latest manga.

All the digital-only releases this week are things that are available on Crunchyroll, so you shouldn't have to reading pirated versions.

Quote:
I also have my fair share of manga books that r taking up so much space in my bedroom that it's unbearable! But I still want to have the physical copy because it's hard to keep it digital. I mean, imagine u get a virus on that computer, it'll be gone forever or hard to get back. I know they have cloud services, but i rather have a nice clean version!!

When I read digital manga, I delete it as soon as I'm through to free up space on my Kindle. If I want to read it again, I just go into my library and download it again. I don't see why that would be a problem.

And unless you're reading something like Gundam: The Origin with oversized pages on glossy paper, the digital version will be cleaner than print -- the page color is pure white, there's never any bleed through, and text never gets lost in the fold between pages. If you get a +7 inch tablet, there's not even a significant difference in size.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I'll be buying A Centaur's Life volume 7 but volume 6 had a multitude of weird and inexplicable things happen (like the spoiler[peeping-tom alien] and spoiler[whatever the hell the snake people researchers were doing to that unskinned body in the under-underground laboratory]) and I'm rather hoping that Kei Murayama doesn't leave too many of those mysteries unanswered.

Like, I like some degree of ambiguity but not just including mysteries for mystery's sake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Cr. unchyroll offers some manga for free users, and there are a few free legal manga sites, but yeah, most legal manga aint free.

That said, I hope someone buys Space Brothers digitally so that they release it physically, and then I can take it out from my library.

Score this week for 3 manga I really like: 1. Black Rose Alice, 2. My Hero Academia and 3. Yukarism
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
On the digital side of things - I had no idea that Kodansha was charging the same price for their digital, as they do for the physical release. That's something that is usually frowned upon by fans. Of course, since digital manga is something I don't pay attention to, I don't know if that is just the common practice.

On the physical manga side of things - I don't see it as much of an issue. Personally, I make damn sure that I'm going to enjoy a series before I jump into it. Anime helps, along with reviews. It's rare when I'll just jump into something I don't know anything about.

Add to that, I've not had a problem finding people willing to pay some money in order to take stuff off my hands. I only keep what I know I will re-read, and I use that same rule for anime (of course, it's re-watch for anime). Laughing

As for the releases, wanna get Umi Monogatari. Have heard good things about that series, and it does seem like something I'd enjoy.

I'll be getting the new Nisekoi and Say I Love You volumes in the mail soon...and I really hope ANN ends up doing a review for the final volume of Yukarism. My favourite manga series is NG Life, and I know there are similarities between the two, but don't know if it actually ends well.

I'd say that My Wife is Wagatsuma-san would be in a similar boat as Yukarism (that being, reviews would make my purchase decision), but seeing as it is digitial...one less manga for me to keep an eye on. Might pay attention to it if it ever gets a physical release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1