• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt (ONA).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:36 am Reply with quote

Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt (ONA)

Genres: action, science fiction
Themes: mecha, military, war

Plot Summary: During the One Year War of U.C. 0079, the Earth Federation and Principality of Zeon engage in a fierce battle at the "Thunderbolt Sector", a shoal zone in the former Colony Side 4 "Moore". After successfully infiltrating Zeon's sniper field, ace Federation pilot and jazz enthusiast Io Flemming is given control of the latest Gundam prototype.
----------------------------------

Well, the first episode has been put up (in all regions, I believe, with the number of subtitle tracks). It... I dunno, there didn't seem to be a lot to it? Less than 20 minutes, and I think it's supposed to be only 4 episodes? I want to see where it's going, but nothing caught my interest in it.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
18-20 minutes x 4= less than 2 hours

Why not just make a film?

They left off on an awkward ending as well. Not too mention the hostility the two characters showed was too sudden to strike an emotional chord. Io, the Blonde hedgehog hair guy, likes jazz, the ex-lover of his team's (whiny) leader, and wants to beat the crap out of everyone with his new Gundam. That's it? Say what you will about Iron Blooded Orphans but, I enjoy the slow build of Orga and the Tekkadan boys growing up before our eyes while introducing new elements of the world in a natural, easy-going pace.

Here, other than the luscious visuals and randomly placed jazz pieces, this doesn't feel that interesting. Almost like the OVA/ONA trying to cram as much "manly" things within its four episodes with only the bare bones in terms of character. Heck, even the random crying megane girl from Zeon felt like an old "war is hell" cliche. The spoiler[sniping fight] didn't feel that engrossing either since the Zeon spoilers were just chilling until Io popped up. Might as well finish it but, it's not dazzling me.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:19 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
Heck, even the random crying megane girl from Zeon felt like an old "war is hell" cliche.

The guy who died was her boyfriend, I dunno why it's random that she'd cry. Similarly the hostility between the two guy is pretty understandable, he just killed one of his teammate, nothing sudden about that.

I though it was really good, and the fights were pretty interesting, especially the first person bits. Lots of interesting stuff that wasn't touched on before either, like the character being war amputee, which work quite well with zeon low number.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:51 am Reply with quote
Great first episode for me. Beautiful animation and art direction and the jazz/music motif works very well. It's too bad this is going to be so short, both in episode length and count. Then again, Sunrise is supposedly doing this as test-run to see if there's a market for a "mature" Gundam show. Hopefully it does well so we get a longer adaptation.

keichitsu0305 wrote:
Here, other than the luscious visuals and randomly placed jazz pieces, this doesn't feel that interesting. Almost like the OVA/ONA trying to cram as much "manly" things within its four episodes with only the bare bones in terms of character.

I like Iron Blooded Orphans and while IBO will have better developed characters,I think that's the appeal of Thunderbolt. I'm not expecting any great character development or grand themes on the nature of war , especially with just 4 eps. I see Thunderbolt as a straightforward, gritty, short story about two battle-hardened soldiers trying to take each other out. That said, I thought this 1st episode did a good job with the grey-morality theme by showing that both sides are equally ruthless.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
18-20 minutes x 4= less than 2 hours

Why not just make a film?

Because this way they can make money continually while they make it? Clearly it's a financing thing to make sure they have the funding they need to make the show they want. No reason they can't cut it together as a feature at the end.

First episode of this was fantastic. Animation and style is just amazing to look at. The location set pieces just ooze pathos. Love the Zeon force being made up of amputees and other handy capable soldiers, makes sens too as Zeon would always have a personal disadvantage to the Fedies, every body still counts.

The apparent OPness of the new Gundam at the end was a bit worrisome, especially with how obviously shit the GMs were in comparison GMs get no love.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Agh, I kinda can't believe how good that first episode was. I'm a big jazz fan, so maybe hearing it accompanying Gundam made me love it even more. But really everything about it was so well done.

Seeing this really made it clear how dull IBO has been in comparison. This one short episode was more enjoyable than all of IBO so far in every department. I'm so bummed it's only 4 shorts.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else notice this appears to have been pulled from GundamnInfo's Youtube channel?

What's up with that?!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1