• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Myriad Colors Phantom World

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Definitely feels like a guilty pleasure of the season. Plot is all over the place while there's fan service every episode, is very gimmicky, and really lacks good storytelling so far.

I just hope that headphone girl gets more characterization in some way...
Oh and why do I have a feeling that there's something funny about the teddy bear? lol.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like I might walk away pleasantly surprised if I go into this one with lowered expectations.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I cried every time an action scene started as I realized just how much of a waste KyoAni's animation is on this piece of crap. I'm not usually that harsh on things, but this one just takes the cake for being as generic and cliche as possible. I want to like this show, but I think it's already too far gone. Nothing turns me off quicker than the physical abuse cliche, which was used over and over in these first few episodes. When I previously said I would like to see some well animated KyoAni fanservice, I was hoping for something a little more classy than this.

Unfortunately, based on what I'm seeing and hearing in many of my normal online hangout spots, this show is still pretty popular. Not to mention it is higher on Crunchyroll than almost everything else. Ugh, this sucks. Crying or Very sad
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
well, I am a fan of martial arts anime and manga and I really like this anime, if just to see mai in motion (I also secretly hope she does a mai shiranui cosplay as something like that happened in hyouka)
chito895

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
So I'm already watching this one just for the fanservice, which isn't the best, but it's not gross and it's well animated. Stretching time, from episode 2, was my favorite so far.

My interest is right now on Reina, who seems to want attention. From Mai or from the group as a whole?. Does she like Mai or just want to be noticed as someone strong and competent to fight by her side? Character animation has been a bit more prominent on her, too. Ep. 3 showed a couple of jealousy/annoyed faces, as well as a nice nervous feet movement. And she ended up that episode with a comment about how she didn't quite fit in Haruhiko and Mai's little group. So maybe following episodes will focus on her and her feelings. Hopefully some nice character development will be shown soon.

Other than that, the show has been somewhat boring. Its usally bright and interesting moments like the explanation about how brain works and how information can be trasferred are ruined by stupid execution (a headbutt? Seriously?) or weird fanservice. Mai is only there for her boobs, and Ruru is more annoying than cute. Headphones girl doesn't seem interesting and her introduction was really meh. The voice acting didn't help either.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm dropping this show. It's just utterly uninteresting and riddled with cliche. I was bored way too much watching this to justify a continued watch. Quite a disappointment.

However, I don't really get the comparison to Beyond the Boundary. I didn't think of that show at all when I watched this one, and I still don't really see the similarities between the shows that would make one think to immediately compare the two. Maybe it's because they're both fantasy-action shows produced by Kyoani? That seems a little superficial, though.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode #1-3:

I LOL'd at Ichijō Haruhiko's Panty Eyes in episode #1. I also found Minase Koito incantation to be a bit long *tone, tone, tone... Break, break, break...); I hope she has an abbreviated version.
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3 was the epitome of boring, Episode 2 was too, but I didn't get at this level of "not giving a damn".

All the action sequences are inherently bland, not because bad animation precisely, but they definetely can't get someone who can make a fight 'strong' instead of pretty. I'm not saying you can't have cute girls + fighting since Ufotable would already prove me wrong with Rin vs Luvia.

It's ironic that the best KyoAni has done recently as far as action scene goes is Chu2Koi, since those scenes weren't even real, but the weight, impact and coreography was much better. The effort was likely the same, but the result was different. Like I always thought, if the one who writes/draws doesn't really love the fight they're doing, it's gonna be pretty dry.

All of the other flaws have been pointed out accurately by the reviewer, IMO. The strongest ones might be the portrayal of characters, but the lack of care in Worldbuilding is as bad (the author just went with "We just don't know enough" so you can pull whatever you want and not be inconsistent)
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:01 pm Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, I really want to like this show but it's just so dumb! "Hey, spoiler[we can share memories and powers if we just crack our heads together!"] Wait, back up, what? Are you going to explain this? No? It's just magic? Will this ever come up again? Probably not? Alrighty then!
At least Beyond the Boundary felt like it was trying, it just spent waaay too much time in fetish-land and not enough time fighting monsters, which was supposed to be the objective of the show.
hsbeta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I like the story and the characters and it got awesome animations, so for me it is A+
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Sans the animation, show is mediocre and nothing more.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Great review for the first three episodes. This one is most definitely a strange beast. People flocked to it due to KyoAni and then fled once it turned out to not be whatever it was they were hoping for; a totally understandable response.

However, it also isn't as bad as some people are making it out to be. It's definitely not spectacular, and I have some serious issues with the treatment that Haruhiko receives (abusive comedy does not amuse me), but there's a lot of room for the characters to grow and for something really interesting to stem from the story. It's also going to be running 14 episodes instead of 12, at least by what MAL states, so there's a little bit more wiggle room for these introductory episodes.

However, I'm not holding out too much hope. I'm just sticking with it because I'd like to see how this turns out overall. I was really looking forward to this one before the season started, so I feel obliged to actually finish it. That and I'm reviewing it episode by episode myself, so I've kind of got something there as well Anime hyper
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:45 pm Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:
It's also going to be running 14 episodes instead of 12, at least by what MAL states, so there's a little bit more wiggle room for these introductory episodes.

Yeah, according to the home-media section in the official site, there'll be a total of 7 volumes, each with 2 episodes (全7巻 各2話収録). I'm guessing it will be 13 episodes + OVA.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:

Yeah, according to the home-media section in the official site, there'll be a total of 7 volumes, each with 2 episodes (全7巻 各2話収録). I'm guessing it will be 13 episodes + OVA.

Wouldn"t surprise me in the slightest. It also fits with the fact that this is the Haruhi director and he tended to run things that way for that series as well *shudders at the thought of Endless Eight*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7