• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
1st Kizumonogatari Film Earns 600 Million Yen in 3 Weeks

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:43 am Reply with quote
Does anyone have any context for this amount? Does this mean that the film is a success, a failure or something in-between? Is it likely that it has made a profit at this point?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Does anyone have any context for this amount? Does this mean that the film is a success, a failure or something in-between? Is it likely that it has made a profit at this point?

Looking at other films' earnings should give some context: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-01-30/top-39-grossing-domestic-japanese-films-of-2015-listed/.98019
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:52 am Reply with quote
So it would have been number 2 for all of last year based on only 3 weeks sales. That sounds like success. I still wonder how much it cost to make and distribute.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
So it would have been number 2 for all of last year based on only 3 weeks sales. That sounds like success. I still wonder how much it cost to make and distribute.

Errr...no. Firstly this is nearly week old news in Japan, but anyway where did you get that idea at all? First of all most of those movies were in theaters for a few months, secondly movies don't keep earning the same box office every single week. For example this one earned 320 million yen (not USD, Japanese yen) in it's first four days or weekend then about 280 million over the course of the next 16 or so days including the next two weekends with added repeat viewer benefits including cross over novels and some other merch on sale. For what was apparently one of the most anticipated otaku movies since Love Live and the over 100 theater count that's pretty mediocre. By comparison the Love Live movie earned 1.26 billion yen (again not USD, yen) earlier last summer with about the same theater count or slightly less in the same amount of time and the third Madoka movie had earned about 1.4 billion in that same time frame. Considering this is supposed to be the lead part of the trilogy and all the buzz over it as well as the repeat viewer benefits are in play it just seems like really mediocre box office results and certainly wouldn't bring it anywhere even close to #2 overall by the time all is said and done. Actually it's debatable whether it would even make the 1 billion yen cutoff that Girls Und Panzer Der Film just barely made the week the list went up. It looks like they're adding more benefits for the 5th week to try to bolster it, but whether that works better than the first set that didn't seem to have a huge effect remains to be seen.

Last edited by Alabaster Spectrum on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
Kizumonogatari's earnings are more comparable to GuP's and Anthem of the Heart's. It's not like I know any numbers for sure, but it seems like it's well on its way to make 1 billion yen, and that seems like a success. Maybe even more so considering there are still two movies to come.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Kizumonogatari's earnings are more comparable to GuP's and Anthem of the Heart's. It's not like I know any numbers for sure, but it seems like it's well on its way to make 1 billion yen, and that seems like a success. Maybe even more so considering there are still two movies to come.

They'll call it a success for publicity purposes but realistically considering what a big otaku thing this is and how it's been anticipated for years I'm sure more was expected and that this is seen as kind of mediocre. If they hadn't made it a trilogy this would have been kind of a disaster considering it's supposed to be some kind of ultimate trump card for SHAFT/Aniplex.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:35 am Reply with quote
Sorry, I got lost in the million/billions. So this is not happy news then?

Edit, it is now today's skin. It is not coming anywhere near me unfortunately.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

I would say that it's decent news. It opened very soon after Star Wars and the Yokai Watch movie(both of which were pretty huge), so that may have hurt it some, but all in all, it pulled in about 5 million USD in 3 weeks, even given that. It's the first part of 3 movies and it's only 60 minutes long. I'm sure they have made money on it, at least. It has pretty similar figures to Anthem of the Heart, which was considered a success. Considering this is a huge franchise, while Anthem is a new IP, it might be a little disappointing to them, but hey, they decided to make this a 3 part release, so whatever. If they make $8+ million USD on each one, that's nothing to cry about.

It might be worth noting that this is an Otaku property like Love Live too though, so it will likely make bank off of Blu-ray sales on top of this. Love Live did a really solid Box Office figure, but ended up blowing Blu-ray sales away with over 200k sold. That's where they will almost definitely make the most money with this release too, in my opinion. Probably not 200k, but I could see it hitting 50k at least.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

It's okay news like the above poster said. It's worth noting that Anthem of The Heart got huge boosts from stage greetings by the popular idol group Nogizaka46 who almost came to overshadow the movie itself in later weeks as fans of the idol group bought tickets for the chance to meet and greet members. Love Live The School Idol Movie also included a raffle ticket for a chance to get a ticket to the Love Live Muse Final Music concert in March which is a highly sought after very limited item at this point. I've seen scalpers trying to sell it on Yahoo Auctions Japan for as much as 100,000 yen.
Kreion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:20 am Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
killjoy_the wrote:

They'll call it a success for publicity purposes but realistically considering what a big otaku thing this is and how it's been anticipated for years I'm sure more was expected and that this is seen as kind of mediocre. If they hadn't made it a trilogy this would have been kind of a disaster considering it's supposed to be some kind of ultimate trump card for SHAFT/Aniplex.

No, it's selling lower than expected BECAUSE they made it 3 films and dragged the content out into a nothing film to start with that is little more than an introduction...I've not heard/read any review which was overwhelmingly positive so it's their own fault if they fucked it up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1