• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Russian Cosplayer Heads to the Slopes in Sailor Moon Bikini

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:05 am Reply with quote
Geez, how can she stand to be out in the cold wearing that? I felt a bit cold just looking at the thumbnail.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:22 am Reply with quote
While kind of cute, she's going to get sick wearing a bikini in the frigid Russian cold. Now the Pikachu kigurumi is what she should be wearing, it has to be warm in that.
ichiran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:34 am Reply with quote
In Russia You freeze the frost! In fact the ski-resort is situated over 8000ft. above and solar radiation is enough to keep you warm. More of that, you must use sun block to prevent sun burns.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:45 am Reply with quote
ichiran wrote:
In Russia You freeze the frost! In fact the ski-resort is situated over 8000ft. above and solar radiation is enough to keep you warm. More of that, you must use sun block to prevent sun burns.

And yet the snow doesn't melt? That's weird.

I was going to make a mention that maybe her living in Russia accustoms her to the cold, like how I live in a hot dry place so anything below 70 degrees is sweater weather for us.
thomas8166

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

And yet the snow doesn't melt? That's weird.

I was going to make a mention that maybe her living in Russia accustoms her to the cold, like how I live in a hot dry place so anything below 70 degrees is sweater weather for us.

That's probably because sufficiently clean and fresh snow is highly reflective, reflecting sunlight and actually leading to local cooling. In addition to sunburns, snow can cause snow blindness if proper precautions aren't taken. I can't speak from personal experience though, as I live in the tropics.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:44 am Reply with quote
Wow, I never even thought about snow's reflectiveness. I have almost no experience with snow, and what little I have had long turned brown by all the traffic running it over.
BlueCatMage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:14 am Reply with quote
Wow. . . . gotta hand to her, that's pretty cool, but insanely ridiculous. I've lived in cold snowy areas myself and I never went outside unless I was thoroughly bundled up. Props off to her for actually being being able properly snowboard in that outfit without messing up from all shaking her body must want to do to warm up.
Ninjajake12

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:34 am Reply with quote
Russians are of a different breed. She's handling those cold temps like a champ whereas I'd be in the fetal position trying to stay warm (Like others, I live in Florida and have zero experience with snow).
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:49 am Reply with quote
Perhaps being in the cold her entire life has allowed Yuliya to wear a bikini with little to no fear of getting sick. If I were in Russia myself, I would end up being frozen like a pop-sickle.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:50 am Reply with quote
This was quite possibly done on a warm day. At many ski hills / resorts, particularly in the spring, there are days where it is +5, +10 even +15 degrees (Celsius) during the day, but the snow isn't fully melted yet (it may dip below zero at night, and there may be a lot of snow built up, for a long melt).

It's common to see people skiing in shorts & t-shirt in anything from +5 and up. At lower temperatures (ie: +5) the problem is the lift, once you're not exerting yourself, you get cold quickly, even in a fully enclosed gondola.

In the Rockies a lot of the resorts have enough snow to ski on till June, but they run out of customers in late April.

Even in frigid temperatures, you can get a sunburn on your face if you spend the day out skiing, as was pointed out above, snow is highly reflective. The sun on my skin however has never made me feel "warm" when I'm skiing though. I don't think the strong sun would contribute to any almost-nude skier feeling warm in cold conditions (you can feel it much more if you are wearing a dark ski suit than you can on your exposed skin).

-t
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:27 am Reply with quote
Mahh girl, Russians are the most hardcore fans LOL
Parse Error

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Although it is of course true that snow can linger even when it's well above freezing, that doesn't seem to be the case here. She's not all alone out there, but everyone else is dressed appropriately for colder temperatures – including what appears to be her friend, who is also holding a blanket for her as he follows, which rules out the rest simply being tourists who are accustomed to warmer climates than she is. You can also see her breath, plus with it being so dark out, things would have cooled off considerably even if it had been relatively warm while the sun was still up, which isn't likely considering the condition of the snow. Any way you look at it, it was definitely fairly cold out there when she did this.
Ninjajake12

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
Although it is of course true that snow can linger even when it's well above freezing, that doesn't seem to be the case here. She's not all alone out there, but everyone else is dressed appropriately for colder temperatures – including what appears to be her friend, who is also holding a blanket for her as he follows, which rules out the rest simply being tourists who are accustomed to warmer climates than she is. You can also see her breath, plus with it being so dark out, things would have cooled off considerably even if it had been relatively warm while the sun was still up, which isn't likely considering the condition of the snow. Any way you look at it, it was definitely fairly cold out there when she did this.

Not to mention the wind, which would have made it even colder as she was speeding down the slope. That makes it 5-10 degrees cooler compared to the climate.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
A few shots of Sailor Moon-shine will keep her warm. Wink
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote
In Mother Russia you ski in swimsuits and bikinis, show West how real people handle winter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2