• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ace Attorney Anime's TV Ad Previews 1st Episode

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:46 am Reply with quote
Hmm I'm not really impressed by the animation style of the CM.

Also got some mixed thoughts on the voice acting part too. Going to hope for the best though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blankslate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:49 am Reply with quote
The animation looks like it's being done by the Space Brothers team which is to say that it's serviceable but nothing special. Hopefully this can get as long of a run as Space Brothers!
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:13 am Reply with quote
Was hoping for the animation to look better than what the PV shows.
Actar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:22 am Reply with quote
Very excited for this one, though I suppose the subs will have to use the English names, being established and whatnot. Hope it won't be set in America, though.
TooLazyToComeUpWithaName

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:33 am Reply with quote
It looks like they're adapting the games faithfully, which I'm really excited about. I thought they would just make a bunch of filler cases. Yuki Kaji's voice fits a lot better than I thought it would. I'm excited now Very Happy
Miporin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:51 am Reply with quote
I hope they don't follow the format of the games as closely as they're suggesting they will in promotional material, and just make a good, humorous anime with the setting and characters.
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
The CM says it starts at 5:30, not 5.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:43 am Reply with quote
Wham! I've just been hit with nostalgia flat in the face because the animation reminds me so much of Kirby: Right Back at Ya! that used to air on 4Kids like a decade ago.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't know anything about Ace Attorney other than the memes via cultural osmosis, so I'd rather just see subs using the original names/phrases. Hopefully some group delivers.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
MihoWittmann wrote:
I hope they don't follow the format of the games as closely as they're suggesting they will in promotional material, and just make a good, humorous anime with the setting and characters.

Yay the movie did a REALLY good job adapting the first game ('s original 4 cases) I would really prefer they just adapt the third game since the only case that really stands up (after I played the first 2 a lot) is the second one the first one is just a tutorial, and the third and fourth ones really drag.
Honestly I was really hoping they would do something like the neptunia anime and create a new version of the story from the source material of the trilogy of games they had available.

Also yes space brothers never looked great but it was atleast consistent and never looked off like large portions of this PV do to me.
So we are probably going to get one episode for the first case since ending the first episode with spoiler[her getting killed] would make for a good hook to end the first episode.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Very excited for this one, though I suppose the subs will have to use the English names, being established and whatnot. Hope it won't be set in America, though.

Why would the subs refer to the characters by their English names eventhough the characters would be obviously referring to each other by their proper names?

That makes as much sense as what Crunchyroll did to some of the character's names in JJBA's spoken dialog be damned.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Actar wrote:

Why would the subs refer to the characters by their English names eventhough the characters would be obviously referring to each other by their proper names?

Well, just look at what they did to Pokemon Origins.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:

Well, just look at what they did to Pokemon Origins.

Let me guess they used Red and Blue/Green then used English names for all the Pokemon names throwing all consistency out the window in the process?
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Whoever ends up dubbing this show ('cause there's no way this show isn't getting dubbed) is gonna be put in a tight spot, what with the names and everything.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Pocket Monsters the Origin got a subtitle release in America? Hell must have frozen over for that to happen, but if they used the dub names in the subs Satan must have kept his hot tub at least. I watched it fansub with everything intact.

There's literally no reason to use dub names in subtitles. The US versions of the games are heavily changed so if people are expecting internet memes and West Clownedelphia jokes in the anime theyre going to be disappointed. Trying to tailor subtitles to them makes no sense. Outside of junky official subtitles I've never seen a (good) fansub use dub names, and I watched Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Rockman, Viewtiful Joe, Monster Farm, Medarot, and tons of game based anime that had dub name changes in America. Most Capcom anime never gets an official subtitle release anyway. Gaist Crusher went ignored by Crunchyroll and Viewtiful Joe and Rockman.exe only got hacked up dubs on Kids WB.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2