• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chika Chika Idol Kickstarter Campaign Falls Short of Goal

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The anime would use a "cell look" style of 3D CG animation

There's the reason for the failure. That PV looks awful. Even if at times it sort of mimicks the look of 2D, the movements look terrible. The whole sequence with the girl with the cat on her face is cringe-worthy. The character designs look like they were taken straight from a "how to draw animu 101" book and the hair in particular is atrocious. I didn't visit the Kickstarter page, but the PV isn't really offering anything to distinguish it from all the thousands of existing idol animes.

On a tangential note, is there actually any notable sector in otaku groups clamoring for more 3DCGI anime? Why would they mention that as if it were a "special" or "desirable" feature for this show?
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:52 am Reply with quote
Chika Chika Idol not only fell short it fell flat on its face, I guess people just don't want CG Anime right now. Confused
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Chika Chika Idol not only fell short it fell flat on its face, I guess people just don't want CG Anime right now. Confused

there are times and places it works but man this is not one of them
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:24 am Reply with quote
As much as I didn't want to see this fail I definitely saw it coming.

The reason why I personally didn't support it myself is because I don't expect much from a 15 minute CG animation about an idol group. It didn't seem like there isn't a whole lot they had to offer. that hasn't been done already What puzzles me though is why they looked to the west to get this funded.

I mean of all the idol shows to come over the years the only one to gain a reasonable amount of success in the west is Love Live. And even then its impact on the west is nothing compared to other recent hits like Sword Art Online, Attack on Titan, Kill la Kill, Tokyo Ghoul and (As much as I hate to admit it) One Punch Man.

Sure there's an audience for this kind of thing but it's very niche and given the project's scale I think it was pretty obvious that this wasn't going to work out.
GEO9875

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:15 am Reply with quote
meanwhile... that forklift/life simulator game made like 6 mil... crazy world we live in...
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:36 am Reply with quote
While I do like Idol things, I couldn't get much hype up for this. Not enough to pay in advance.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:23 am Reply with quote
GEO9875 wrote:
meanwhile... that forklift/life simulator game made like 6 mil... crazy world we live in...
You see, that's exactly what it needed to be a success. More memes.

Just make a really soulless bad game (Or just string together a bunch of pre-made assets until it vaguely resembles a game), call it 'Idol Simulator', make a 'humorous' trailer that doesn't actually show any gameplay or even give you a vague idea what the gameplay will be like and watch as the millions come rolling in.

spoiler[No one actually do that please.][/spoiler]
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:24 am Reply with quote
Maybe it had something to do with a little anime called "Million Doll"???
because that worked out well!
and this totally doesn't sound like it at all!!!
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:39 am Reply with quote
As much as I wanted the campaign to be successful, I knew that it was destined to fail when the video showcased just how terrible the CGI looked. Plus, a 15-minute episode just isn't worthy of $130,000+ to most people.
CeaseActivity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:40 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
There's the reason for the failure. That PV looks awful. Even if at times it sort of mimicks the look of 2D, the movements look terrible. The whole sequence with the girl with the cat on her face is cringe-worthy. The character designs look like they were taken straight from a "how to draw animu 101" book and the hair in particular is atrocious. I didn't visit the Kickstarter page, but the PV isn't really offering anything to distinguish it from all the thousands of existing idol animes.

The part where they danced or just stood and talked looked alright to me, put the beginning was preyty bad. IMO how 3DCG looks is very dependent on the lighting - heavy shadows just empathises weird animation. I agree that the concept and designs are bad though.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:02 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the CGI wasn't the greatest, but it wasn't that bad either. Seen worse 2D animation.

Think the main problem was, who wants to pay money for a 15 minute only anime about these Idols. What can you tell in 15 minutes, that will make you care about the characters.

Now if you wanted to get people to pay for 15 minutes of anime, drop the Idols down on planet LV36, in the middle of a Predator hunt for Aliens.

Think they should have made the 15 minute anime short on their own, and used it to sell the idea of a TV series.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:08 am Reply with quote
CG is the main reason it failed in the West, not only was it a bit jarring but Western attitudes toward CG is that it's usually terrible. Also, both sides did not have very good bonuses for higher paying backers which also is responsible for the project's failure to reach funding goals.
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:37 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
CG is the main reason it failed in the West, not only was it a bit jarring but Western attitudes toward CG is that it's usually terrible. Also, both sides did not have very good bonuses for higher paying backers which also is responsible for the project's failure to reach funding goals.

I want to second the tiering part. I think there's a ton of effort (and real $) put into marketing this, but they screw up on some basic crowdfunding aspects. The tiers are not that great for higher level backers is a major one of their screwups. There are many other small blunders that I think contributed to it.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:54 am Reply with quote
Most of the animation was okay, but the close-ups (particularly the beginning) were definitely the worst. All it took were a few bad shots from an otherwise average production to sink this ship.

3DCG may yet have a future in anime, but it's still got a long way to go.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
Well that fail I guess people are getting sick of Idol animes or the CG was just so bad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2